D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
The suggestion that everyone has talent is too simplistic as very clearly it is in differing degrees. JUH and Will Hayes have different levels of talent. People are just pleased he appears to be heading in the right direction.
Agreed, Hayes lacks Ugle-Hagan's marking ability. It doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you aren't where the ball is, your talent doesn't matter. Naughton takes marks between half back and the goal square, he works hard to get where the ball is. Naughton is proactive, he doesn't stop if he misses the mark. Ugle-Hagan gives up.

Agreed, Hayes lacks Ugle-Hagan's marking ability. It doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you aren't where the ball is, your talent doesn't matter. Naughton takes marks between half back and the goal square, he works hard to get where the ball is. Naughton is proactive, he doesn't stop if he misses the mark. Ugle-Hagan gives up.
Season 5 Episode 3 GIF by Insecure on HBO

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

If JUH is serious about being a good player, and he's coached well, he will learn to do team stuff and be more pro-active. Bailey Fritsch would be a good player to model himself on. He doesn't hurt people or crash packs but he goes when it's his turn, he's not scared to get hurt, he's pro-active and he makes it count when he has the ball. If JUH can do those things he will forge a good career.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Playing Seeet and English solves more problems for our side than it creates.
Can't afford to play makeshift rucks it has to big an affect on momentum.
Centre clearances are too important to mess around with.
Cordy battled hard but we gave up 11 HO'S to advantage which how many of those became goals

Acwmr

Debutant
Jul 11, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Midfield was shambolic. Our centre clearances are shallow enteries into forward 50, meanwhile Carlton are able to waltz out of the centre with a massive assistance in the ruck and basically able to dictate terms.

We all knew our ruck combination needed to be rectified. It was easily the most pressing need. yet we dont do sweet **** all to resolve it.

Might avoid BF for a while.
No, please say. We need honesty, and I assume Chris Grant or an assistant would read this stuff. JUH is a glimmer of hope but a goal kicking coach ios needed. Here's an idea. You dont get to go home from training till you have kicked 3 goals in a row from outside 30m on an angle. Similarly you must take an unbroken sequence of 10 marks under mild pressure to get to go home (or whatever these highly paid individuals do after training).

If there are no consequences there is no incentive to build the skills. In gane perhaps a bonus of $2k per goal and $-4k per gettable goal. $1k for successful pass to a team mate in better position.

Make an allowance of $500k in the calary cap for this variable compensation, stuff the ALPA contract format.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No, please say. We need honesty, and I assume Chris Grant or an assistant would read this stuff. JUH is a glimmer of hope but a goal kicking coach ios needed. Here's an idea. You dont get to go home from training till you have kicked 3 goals in a row from outside 30m on an angle. Similarly you must take an unbroken sequence of 10 marks under mild pressure to get to go home (or whatever these highly paid individuals do after training).

If there are no consequences there is no incentive to build the skills. In gane perhaps a bonus of $2k per goal and $-4k per gettable goal. $1k for successful pass to a team mate in better position.

Make an allowance of $500k in the calary cap for this variable compensation, stuff the ALPA contract format.
Pretty easy to kick them at training, they wouldn't miss. Maybe they should get them to kick goals blindfolded or put a hot woman half naked on the mark, to try to put them off. Otherwise they will kick 9/10 at training every time.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Pretty easy to kick them at training, they wouldn't miss. Maybe they should get them to kick goals blindfolded or put a hot woman half naked on the mark, to try to put them off. Otherwise they will kick 9/10 at training every time.
Do teams train at fatigue kicking? Actually that’s a really stupid question. Of course they would

The teams I have watched train do.

My Sunday league team went from a 3km into kicking drills without a break, AFL teams will surely do something similar but 10x the difficulty

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love this - but am compelled to say that an orchestra doesn’t have a keyboard section. For a Tchaikovsky piano concerto, the pianist is the soloist so not part of the orchestra. And in the occasional orchestral works that do involve a piano in places, the pianist is part of the percussion section because it is a percussive instrument (based on hammers striking).

Thank you and don’t fret, I’m well out of here
Maybe Che was so revolutionary that he included a keyboard section in his orchestra!!!! ( or maybe I don’t know as much about orchestras as I make out.)
More importantly what is an orchestra expert doing on a footy forum anyway? Are you the guy that sets off the cannon?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Maybe Che was so revolutionary that he included a keyboard section in his orchestra!!!! ( or maybe I don’t know as much about orchestras as I make out.)
More importantly what is an orchestra expert doing on a footy forum anyway? Are you the guy that sets off the cannon?
Nah. I used to be a cellist before I retired to spend more time on Bigfooty

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
MSO ? If so, when did you retire ?
I’m not from Melbourne. Have worked for ACO, SSO and TSO in the past and some American orchestras. I think I did a couple of concerts as a casual for MSO but we’re talking early 90s. I do know a few of the MSO guys though - from study and youth orchestras and so forth back in the day

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I’m not from Melbourne. Have worked for ACO, SSO and TSO in the past and some American orchestras. I think I did a couple of concerts as a casual for MSO but we’re talking early 90s. I do know a few of the MSO guys though - from study and youth orchestras and so forth back in the day
MSO is an obvious acronym but your 3 ? Sydney ? Tasmania ? Are you anti Organ ?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
MSO is an obvious acronym but your 3 ? Sydney ? Tasmania ? Are you anti Organ ?
Australian Chamber Orchestra

This is something I always knew would happen. I would one day be posting on the dogs board about orchestras. It’s like a prophesy

Edit: Yes to Sydney Symphony and Tasmanian Symphony Orchestras though

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Australian Chamber Orchestra

This is something I always knew would happen. I would one day be posting on the dogs board about orchestras. It’s like a prophesy

Edit: Yes to Sydney Symphony and Tasmanian Symphony Orchestras though
Of Course, ACO. Footy's great, Orchestras too. Curious how you came to be associated with this Board if you didn't grow up in Melbourne.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Of Course, ACO. Footy's great, Orchestras too. Curious how you came to be associated with this Board if you didn't grow up in Melbourne.
I grew up in Canberra where anyone who had an interest in Australian Football sort of clustered together in what was very much a Rugby region - though being Canberra there were a few AFL followers because almost everyone in Canberra back then was basically from somewhere else. And I only really took up following footy for the second most obvious reason - I fell in love and went on one of those projects where you try to get interested in what they are interested in. Bigfooty worked in there along the way somewhere and look at me now! I’m a Community Organiser! I organise communities!

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I grew up in Canberra where anyone who had an interest in Australian Football sort of clustered together in what was very much a Rugby region - though being Canberra there were a few AFL followers because almost everyone in Canberra back then was basically from somewhere else. And I only really took up following footy for the second most obvious reason - I fell in love and went on one of those projects where you try to get interested in what they are interested in. Bigfooty worked in there along the way somewhere and look at me now! I’m a Community Organiser! I organise communities!
and me thinking it might have to do with a former coach of the ANU Aus Rules team. Interesting account. Cellist, eh ?.

Claythesmiths

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
If you're looking for reasons to be positive about Marra's development, consider that his time on ground percentage on Thursday was 84% (our 7th highest for the match). Last season he had 73%, 69%, 67%, 71%, 64%. Although I think he looked a bit gassed in the second half, I think it's a good sign that his endurance is coming along.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
If you're looking for reasons to be positive about Marra's development, consider that his time on ground percentage on Thursday was 84% (our 7th highest for the match). Last season he had 73%, 69%, 67%, 71%, 64%. Although I think he looked a bit gassed in the second half, I think it's a good sign that his endurance is coming along.
And whilst He did look gassed in the 4th, how many forwards could kick the penetrating 60 metre bomb he did to Bont to open that quarter? Let alone do it after sprinting to the wing to take a dangerous mark under a floater. That kick was something special.

Genuinely him and Bont (maybe Libba or Crozier) are the only players on our team with the leg to do it and I would argue there aren’t a whole lot of players in the league with that sort of penetration.

Combine that with the mark he took at full height fully stretched and the snap, not to mention the space he opened up for Scott in the third for his goal.

I reckon he will be causing Naughton like headaches for defenders a lot sooner than people think.

Free up English to roam up their a bit more and watch defenses start to really crap their pants.

The ball didn't get to the forward line too often in the final quarter. The forwards had most of the quarter to rest. Ugle-Hagan wouldn't have raised a sweat.
Reading your posts, I have a couple of comments.
1. AFL stats only record effective tackles which is tackles that result in an ineffective disposal, stoppage or free kick. A player recording zero tackles doesn’t necessarily mean they aren't chasing and tackling, especially with young players, the tackles are often just broken by older stronger players.
2. Naughton has a freakish talent for getting back to his feet which JUH definitely doesn't have.

Other than that yes, Naughton is a workhorse and it would be great if JUH could learn from him.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Reading your posts, I have a couple of comments.
1. AFL stats only record effective tackles which is tackles that result in an ineffective disposal, stoppage or free kick. A player recording zero tackles doesn’t necessarily mean they aren't chasing and tackling, especially with young players, the tackles are often just broken by older stronger players.
2. Naughton has a freakish talent for getting back to his feet which JUH definitely doesn't have.

Other than that yes, Naughton is a workhorse and it would be great if JUH could learn from him.
Whatever excuses, no tackles, no attempts at tackling. There are very few in the side who aren't workhorses, Ugle-Hagan has plenty of role models, he works along side 2 of the best, Naughton and Weightman. Let's hope he learns.

Whatever excuses, no tackles, no attempts at tackling. There are very few in the side who aren't workhorses, Ugle-Hagan has plenty of role models, he works along side 2 of the best, Naughton and Weightman. Let's hope he learns.
Oliver Gigacz pointed out that there were 10 players with fewer pressure acts.

Just my opinion but it's kinda harsh to say he had no attempts at tackling when the stats say he had 10 of his team mates covered in that regard.

Back