chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
I don't think Team Sky will come crashing down with this. Unfortunately I think the only people who take note of these articles are cycling fans like us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
s**t getting real at Sky now.

So the story was first that the doctor travelling across countries to treat Wiggins was no big deal,
then it was some kind of over the counter medicine you can get at any pharmacy for $10,
story then turns into old mate Doc's laptop was then stolen on holidays so they dont know what it was,
this BS then turned on its head because the Doc has been ordering large quantites of steriods through British Cycling rather than Sky.
Now Brailsford's memory has miraculously returned and it was him getting the steriod injections not Wiggo.

In other news Team Sky has now gone into partnership with the Essendon FC....

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Just another team of doping cheats - pushing legalities to the limits (TUEs) and then outright hiding the dodgy stuff.

And now they are linked in with British Cycling - who won all those gold medals at the last few Olympics.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
s**t getting real at Sky now.

So the story was first that the doctor travelling across countries to treat Wiggins was no big deal,
then it was some kind of over the counter medicine you can get at any pharmacy for $10,
story then turns into old mate Doc's laptop was then stolen on holidays so they dont know what it was,
this BS then turned on its head because the Doc has been ordering large quantites of steriods through British Cycling rather than Sky.
Now Brailsford's memory has miraculously returned and it was him getting the steriod injections not Wiggo.

In other news Team Sky has now gone into partnership with the Essendon FC....

Just another team of doping cheats - pushing legalities to the limits (TUEs) and then outright hiding the dodgy stuff.

And now they are linked in with British Cycling - who won all those gold medals at the last few Olympics.

they all do it at that level. this is not an apologia. like Wallaby said 'hiding outright dodgy stuff' or 'outright hiding the dodgy stuff'.

It it Professor John Nash Princeton Mathematician A Beautiful Mind anyone? Game Theory which he won a Nobel Prize for in economics, not mathematics I think. Someone can google it, I think he won a Nobel Prize. Mathematics has the Fields Medal not a Nobel Prize, and it is for mathematicians under 40, Australian Terrence Tao won in about half a dozen years back... ok enough with the aside...

game theory, think, triangulation, nothing has changed, they have merely triangulated their behaviour, since 1998 Festina, since Armstrong, to i) hide it from public view, and ii) so the administrators cannot get them on a WADA sanction.

Same in AFL. The doping is just more diffuse on an individual action, well, they will have their own intra club networks not under the auspices of the official club employees(apart from the footballers themselves)

The WADA regulations are still the same. They still have a threshold where you are free to take the illegal substances and stay below this threshold, and you still receive the benefit of the drug. You reckon someone runs under 10 seconds clean? not even talking under 9.56 or whatever Bolt's WR is.

All the AFL players may have been more cautious for a while, only used testo patches after games. But they went back on it pretty quick. They know they need to be athletes like Leicester FC are, otherwise they get delisted.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
It is really tough. I can understand why people take the drugs in many sports - if you are a junior and have spent all your life training, practising, working towards reaching the highest level in your sport, only to find out that UNLESS you cheat (drugs) you can't compete.

I know we all think that we would take the moral high ground and nobly refuse to take part - but if this has been your life's aim for years, it's hard just to throw it all away - particularly if you think other people are doing it.

And it's only sport. No one dies if you take the drugs. No one loses out - the public still get the show (movies are fake, wrestling is fake, but the public still watch that) - it's just an entertainment for the masses, and as long as they still pay to watch, why not give them the spectacle?

Having said all that, I am still dead against drugs, and in favour of life bans. You have to have rules.

I just have some understanding of why people do it - and it's not just money and fame (for some it IS money and fame). There are probably blokes in the peleton who will never win a race, will never get on TV, but they can say 'I'm a Tour de France rider. I reached the top'.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
It is really tough. I can understand why people take the drugs in many sports - if you are a junior and have spent all your life training, practising, working towards reaching the highest level in your sport, only to find out that UNLESS you cheat (drugs) you can't compete.

I know we all think that we would take the moral high ground and nobly refuse to take part - but if this has been your life's aim for years, it's hard just to throw it all away - particularly if you think other people are doing it.

And it's only sport. No one dies if you take the drugs. No one loses out - the public still get the show (movies are fake, wrestling is fake, but the public still watch that) - it's just an entertainment for the masses, and as long as they still pay to watch, why not give them the spectacle?

Having said all that, I am still dead against drugs, and in favour of life bans. You have to have rules.

I just have some understanding of why people do it - and it's not just money and fame (for some it IS money and fame). There are probably blokes in the peleton who will never win a race, will never get on TV, but they can say 'I'm a Tour de France rider. I reached the top'.
I would suggest Flo Jo and Pantani died because of the drugs

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Ufe‏ @oufeh Apr 30
Looking at TdF 2005 overall is amazing. Around Evans and Moreau basically every rider has a tainted past or tested positive. pic.twitter.com/ML63XGnvTq

C-pZfEcWAAA1cPy.jpg:large

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
When you look at the above list , for him to be in that group and NOT to dope I find a bridge too far.
For some reason we have this notion of Aussie athletes being battlers and hard competitors that would never resort to doping, yet we are more than happy to s**t on and accuse anyone that is eastern european of doping.
Most would have never imagined Stuart O'Grady or Michael Rogers would have done it, but both have admitted/been found guilty of doping.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
I know we dont want to think it, but do you reckon there is ever a chance that Cadel is proven to have doped in his early days.
The overall consensus is that he has ridden clean his whole career, but you never know
lol

overall consensus only by the ignoramiti[sic]

now, i will say, and this is serious, and me on the record, he is a fine upstanding citizen of great character. he is no armstrong.

they compete on their own terms, not ours, not us as outsiders. evans was indeed a champion, and deserves to be remembered as thus, you dont need to see how the sausage is made. (I know, my hypocrisy).

evans was a champion, up there with our best swimmers, and in the pantheon of australian sporting greats, and to be great, you need to have a degree of reckless ambition where things get sacrificed along the way. you dont win the Tdf by being the nicest guy in the world, but evans aint a sociopath where other sporting greats have flirted on that spectrum. i met floyd, picked him up at tulla and am dropping his name, i have no idea who the person is, or his character, so in this naive and ignorant perspection, he seemed like a r!ipper of a bloke (but how could i know). i would actually say, landis is about the best possible guy for a Tdf winner, but eh, i only drove him to a sports doping conference and am parodying myself here with the name-dropping invocation.

ultimAtely, you cant win the Tdf or any other sporting event, and be the nicest, greatest____guy. There have to be some character frailties when you scratch the surface for a while.

why do the media never seek to ask themselves, why do we immediately wish to add the sobriquet, or appellation, in adjective form:

disgraced Floyd Landis
disgraced James Hird
disgraced Lance Armstrong

how about, manifest gullibility staring an idjit back at themself in the mirror

Last edited:

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Five top eight finishes at the Tour de France- including three in the top six? Show the man some respect.
good rider, verging on precipice of great rider, those euskaltel euskadi basque riders were entertaining when the tour hit the pyrenees innit almost as oompa loompa'ed <verb, thats a neologism innit> as stephen dank
upload_2017-5-3_1-42-21.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
evans was a champion, up there with our best swimmers, and in the pantheon of australian sporting greats, and to be great, you need to have a degree of reckless ambition where things get sacrificed along the way. you dont win the Tdf by being the nicest guy in the world, but evans aint a sociopath where other sporting greats have flirted on that spectrum.
Agree with this 100%
Different sport but I was reading Mark Webbers book (and other F1 stuff from the time) and Michael Schumacher definitely at this ruthless edge to him. Michael himself described it to Webber as you become so absorbed with the obsession of being the best that one day you cross a line, and you never really quite return from that spot. I reckon the same can be said for Cyclists and any athlete in a performance driven industry.

Back