No Oppo Supporters Double-Death-Riding Carlton 2019 Edition - Currently Pick 1 and 19

What month will Bolton be sacked?

• April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • June

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • July

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • August

• September

• He won't get the sack this year

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're allowed to trade Kurt Tippett to Sydney for a 2nd round pick, but planning to do it and putting it in writing will get you in the ****. ...
Actually, the bigger reason we got caned for draft tampering is we put it in writing that we would trade Tiprat to his club of choice (I think**) at an undervalue (a 2nd round pick), which is unfair to all other clubs - ie this damages the integrity of the draft :rolleyes:

** I think when the written agreement was made, it wasn't Sydney that we thought he would want to go to and assumed it was going to be going home to the Gold Coast.

Ok but he was never going to leave as a free agent because we were always going to match Geelong's offer of 800k a year for 4 years which means Geelong would have to trade for him anyway. Everyone knew this, so we just went straight to the trade table, we had the upper hand, we should of demanded 2 firsts, I dont care they wanted one to go to carlton for Henderson. They wanted and needed Danger more and they would have paid it if we held out longer.
They would have not signed Zac Smith, Scott Selwood, Bartel and Enright and would have offered Dangerfield $3.6m over 3 years, which we had no chance of matching.

Then they would have still had ALL their picks left to trade for Henderson, or to draft players on lower starting salaries.

GEELONG COULD OFFER DANGERFIELD MONEY WE COULDN'T MATCH.

They didn't want to, because they wanted to share it with second tier players. But if we'd been dicks and it went nuclear, they had options that we didn't hold.

Ok but he was never going to leave as a free agent because we were always going to match Geelong's offer of 800k a year for 4 years which means Geelong would have to trade for him anyway. Everyone knew this, so we just went straight to the trade table, we had the upper hand, we should of demanded 2 firsts, I dont care they wanted one to go to carlton for Henderson. They wanted and needed Danger more and they would have paid it if we held out longer.
Agree on that, who care if they "promised" the future 1st to Carlton first.

There's an article on AFL.com.au at the minute about

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-29/who-would-your-club-target-in-a-midseason-trade

and this is what it says for Carlton.

Brandon Ellis: The Blues could take advantage of Ellis' contract situation, given he's one of just three restricted free agents in the League. He has won plenty of the footy in an impressive spell of form since returning from the fringes of the Tigers' best team.

Tom Cutler: In a similar sense to Ellis, could Cutler provide the Blues with some dash out of defence? They've desperately lacked speed off half-back and Cutler has that. He's played only three games for the Lions this year and fits the age profile.

Top-30 draft pick: The Blues have given the Crows their first pick and the Giants their second. Although they have Adelaide's opening pick (currently No.12), they'll have a gap between that and their next (currently No.37). Another top-30 selection would be handy.

For trade targets, realistically, they could have just said "ANYONE!!! FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER, ANYONE!!" and it may have been more accurate.

For "on the table", that's when the laughs really started.

Matthew Kreuzer: It seems unlikely, but Kreuzer would be Carlton's most valuable trade chip if it wants to get back into the draft. He's uncontracted beyond this year and the club has capable deputies in Andrew Phillips and Matthew Lobbe in reserve.

Jack Silvagni: After a rough start to the season, Silvagni has recently reclaimed his place in Carlton's side. But could he still find suitors at the end of the year? He's a good size and has natural talent, which could endear itself to a rival team.

Levi Casboult: The Blues tested the waters unsuccessfully in attempting to trade Casboult last year, but could try again midway through the current campaign. He's shown glimpses that he could be turned into a capable intercept defender with his marking abilities.

Kreuzer. Who the * would want Kreuzer? He finally got on the park, and it turns out he's "okay". A stellar career averaging 12 disposals and 20 hitouts. Hey, who's the ruckman this year that's averaging more disposals, tackles, hitouts, contested & uncontested possessions, contested marks, and intercepts? REILLY O'BRIEN. Yes, our pick 9 in the 2014 rookie draft is playing better than a Pick 1.

Silvagni. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha he's played the same amount of games as Wayne Milera. Who would you rather have?

Casboult. The first sentence says they couldn't trade him last year. Well, that's a clue. He could turn into a defender? He's 29 FFS! At this rate the only thing he'll be remembered for is the time he got handcuffed to Juddy, got so drunk on a cruise he got dumped at home, and his parents rang the club and freaked out.

What a list.

And they should trade in a draft pick in the top 30? Why, so they can * up someone else's career?

It was always evident in his games with us that he was smart, skilled and mobile. It wasn’t a case of Clarkson waving a magic wand.
A lot of players have improved under Clarkson that he got from other clubs, just look at Henderson development in the last few years under him, even Impey looks better at the Hawks. I have no doubt Gunston would have developed into a good player if he stayed as our player development is excellent but the facts is it isn't better as the Hawks under Clarkson.

We had the option to match but you can't bluff it, you actually have to be able to and willing to offer the contract for the player to stay and we wouldn't have been willing or able to go up to what Dangerfield + Henderson's contract would be. If we did Danger would have been a big chance to accept it on a 1-year deal to try again a year later, which would have ****** our list as we would have lost other players we resigned after he left.
Player's contracts get restructured all the time, there are no rules that I am aware of that a free agent can't later restructure their contract.
The AFL knows all contract lengths and the status of everyone's salary caps. There would be no bullshitting or bluffing with this. They'd put an offer to him and we'd not have the ability to say that we could match it.

We could only match the lower offer (before his under the table Costa money).

If that was the case, if for example Grundy wanted to come to us next year, we could beat any Pies offer and then restructure it afterwards. Im no expert on this, but to my understanding you cant change the dollar amount of the FA contract. I could be wrong.

If Danger had stayed for a year. He would have been a part of our 2017 season. Hmmmmm. I think the collateral fallout would have been we would have lost Jenkins at the end of 2017. He was one of the players we offered a big contract too. We also may have not traded for Gibbs.
You're right. Since Luke Ball, it's been the rule that clubs couldn't drastically renegotiate contracts signed by free agents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silvagni. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha he's played the same amount of games as Wayne Milera. Who would you rather have?

Imagine if we traded for SOS's son. Thats the quintessential defintion of a double agent. :drunk:

I can also see SOS asking for a 1st rounder for his son too. :rolleyes:

I always wonder about this. I forget, was he able to nominate a salary in that scenario? I think he was, right?

Would other clubs have really taken him at close to a million dollars a year, knowing full well that he would have been pissed at them for doing it?

It would be one hell of a ballsy move. Not sure it would have really happened.

Yes he was able to nominate a salary

No, he wasn’t able to nominate the salary he got (would’ve have had to have been much higher)

So without the sweetheart deal he agreed with Geelong, he would have had no clear path to them in the draft without busting their salary cap plans

Someone would have taken a punt on a guy that good though.

Free hit. Plus clubs know and players know, that careers are too short to sulk. Players are professional and they’ll buckle down

Look at Tim Kelly or Ryan O’Keefe.

What separates the really good players is professionalism and mental strength

I am sure he would have said whoever picks me in the preseason draft, I will sit out the entire year.

I do recall something along those lines being said at the time. Maybe from his manager?

But there is no way Dangerfield's ego could sit for a year on the sidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back