• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Iva Bigun

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I'm with you on GC. Seeing it's Dew's second year which would mean if he's any chop, it's when you expect to see a fair bit of structural improvement. Considering the level they're at, and their rivals, a structural improvement would see them jump up a fair bit.

After all, structure is what gets you out of that mess at the bottom of the table.
I’m lloving seeing some optimism and confident my Suns will improve, totally different vibe around the place. What that equates to, who knows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

70lethal

Team Captain
AFL Club
Adelaide
Saints will improve. Hannebury will add leadership and Ratten should make a massive difference in the coaches box.
They get Bruce back which adds around 40 goals a year and Gresham is a genuine goal kicker plus Membrey. Billings, Stevens, Lonie, Newnes and they can kick a winning score.

Freo should kick a score, surely the likes of Walters, Mundy, Matera, Ballantyne, McCarthy improve with Hogan and Lobb up forward.

The Doggies finished off ok winning 3 of their last 4.

Suns lack class but they did bring in mature bodies and I think Dew will be much better coach than Bolton. They have some serious X factor with Rankine.

Carlton average less than 9 goals a game. Unless someone like Setterfield has a huge year to support Cripps they are 17th best for mine but hoping for B2B spoons.

FR0GGY

Press the button
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Saints will improve. Hannebury will add leadership and Ratten should make a massive difference in the coaches box.
They get Bruce back which adds around 40 goals a year and Gresham is a genuine goal kicker plus Membrey. Billings, Stevens, Lonie, Newnes and they can kick a winning score.

Freo should kick a score, surely the likes of Walters, Mundy, Matera, Ballantyne, McCarthy improve with Hogan and Lobb up forward.

The Doggies finished off ok winning 3 of their last 4.

Suns lack class but they did bring in mature bodies and I think Dew will be much better coach than Bolton. They have some serious X factor with Rankine.

Carlton average less than 9 goals a game. Unless someone like Setterfield has a huge year to support Cripps they are 17th best for mine but hoping for B2B spoons.
Best carlton coach in the AFL.

Donkey Magoo

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
I’m lloving seeing some optimism and confident my Suns will improve, totally different vibe around the place. What that equates to, who knows
You guys have a few blokes who have something to prove. I also think that Dew is much better chop than Bolton IMO.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Colorado Rockies.
I'm mainly confident as it's the 2nd year of a coach, so it should equate to structural improvement (and structure is the magic bullet out of the wilderness you're in). Saints and Cartlon won't get better either seeing both are a mess structurally and I'm rather skeptical on Brisbane improving, they seem more mirage then substance.

So yeah, your my pick out of the bottom 4 teams to show something promising.

Edit: Saints have Rattern now, so they may improve if they're smart enough to listen to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

arrowman

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
There’s a reason for that, that’s where they will finish.
This is where I counter your shallow analysis / assumption by making a reasoned and plausible case, based on sound footy logic, for Carlton to be able to overtake at least 3 teams in 2019.

I got nothing. :)

Kane McGoodwin

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Freo are a hard team to gauge.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Agree.

Imo they have suffered from having a lack of decent talk targets since Pav, which they have rectified with trades. This should mean they will be more efficient going forward & should more than offset the loss of Neale.

1970crow

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't see them improving their ladder position ....see them holding with 8-9 wins .....Rucks are an issue, and like Carlton, have a potentially good midfield, but still inexperienced

The keys to Freo's season are the fitness of the Hill Brothers & Bennell, that give them a lot of speed ......but they need Logue to step up in defense this year
Bennell's on his last chance I think, I think they'll need to get their speed from somewhere else. He needs to maintain a low profile.

1970crow

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know you've lost 2 key players, but I thought you guys were quite valient in the early part of the year when you were constantly on the road. A sharp improvement wouldn't surprise, but I doubt that you can improve enough to get to 4th last, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up a couple of wins ahead of the bottom 2. But, I won't be surprised if you end up bottom either. St Kilda were much worse than expected last year (sounds familiar to me), so I find them hard to judge, I thought thought they were on the up. Anyway, our death riding of Carlton results in us taking more interest in how you and the Saints are going. Honestly, I freaking love future trading. It's why I love playing skins at golf. Have a horrible opening few holes and spend all your handicap, skins gives you a reason to stand on the next tea and do your best. If we go shit and are heading for a low finish, we've at least got other teams to barrack for and another we want to lose. We're in every hole to the very end.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Colorado Rockies.
Our major risk is that Talia will be underdone come round 1 and word was that Harto not progressing as expected from his knee(s?). Keath has been a bit injury prone himself and we’re down to him and Otto, otherwise we’ll be blooding youth out of position back there. Right now that’s the only thing stopping me from declaring us a near certainty for top 4. Getting Saunders means we minimise the risk of dialing back our workloads too much, so fitness/injury issues should be resolved. I think the players have moved on from the coaches blaming them for losing the GF courtesy of mental weakness. Crouch and Smith back, plus Milera and Gooch going up levels. Tex, Betts, Sloane and Sauce can’t give us any less than they did last year plus a much easier draw. If nothing else had changed, the draw alone gets us back into the 8. It’s just the KPD issue that needs to progress in the right direction as we head towards round 1.
KPD's are definitely rather dodgy rather now, especially in the early part of the season. Of course, that utterly baffling 6-6-6 switch to set ups may also impact as it'll hinder the loose man idea depending on the AFLs interpretation, and we also know that'll be trash in the first part of the season. So that is definitely a wild card early, though it really depends on when Talia is back. Not unsolvable, but potentially difficult and may also lead us to having to go an ultra offensive route to counteract it, or at least that kind of method for the first month before dialing it back a bit.

I expect Betts to decline this year, seeing whilst he was still a good small forward last year, he really began to have the occasional moment or two where you could tell the end was approaching. Especially where he lost all confidence in kicking beyond 30m. Sauce is one where he could go either way seeing he has some form of being someone who plays really well every second year, but I'm unsure if that'll hold true as we're really at the point that the end is near for him (I highly doubt he'll be on our list in 2020), especially as I we really don't have a backup beyond ROB this season and ROB has a very irritating habit of being injured at the wrong times right now. Tex, and Sloane should both go up if they stay injury free, and another one who should improve a fair bit next year is Matt Crouch has he dropped a fair bit post his injury last year (where he gave us a period of high accumulation, nothing else compared to what was a damaging inside midfielder that he was in 2017).

That said, in terms of upswings, fixing the lack of defensive pressure from our forward line is quite easily the most important thing we need to happen in this preseason. Easily the most exciting thing for me from this one so far is we look like we've taken a few steps to rectifying that. If that works, you can lock us into a top 4 position seeing it is what a consistently powerful defensive game is built around in the league currently, and one that can get around a lot of the issues with using sub-par KPDs when we do need to use them.

Top Bottom