News Double the cost, half the pain: Eagles agree to bigger pay cut

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
WEST Coast players have agreed to higher pay cuts across the board after being assured the club won't be saving money to splash on high-priced recruits at the end of the year.

In a move that has been praised for its efficiency and equitable nature, the Eagles have accepted a seven per cent pay cut across the list.

West Coast made the decision to double the average pay cut across the board to ensure that after one year the club will be able to right its salary cap position without stretching the pain into further seasons.

The club's professional handling is understood to have included consultation with the Eagles' leadership group and senior players, and an acceptance throughout the playing list to share the financial pain.

Rookie-listed players and first-year recruits at West Coast will remain on their standardised contracts, without pay decreases.

I ******* love this club :)

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a huge positive for the club. It only takes one of two ego's or big players to refuse and you end up with an absolute shambles.

The AFL themselves have royally cocked this up and should have just had a straight cut across all contracts in line with the salary cap. However they were too ******* spineless in fear of the AFLPA so 'deciced' to leave it up to the clubs in order to how they would resolve the issue.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a huge positive for the club. It only takes one of two ego's or big players to refuse and you end up with an absolute shambles.

The AFL themselves have royally cocked this up and should have just had a straight cut across all contracts in line with the salary cap. However they were too ******* spineless in fear of the AFLPA so 'deciced' to leave it up to the clubs in order to how they would resolve the issue.

I hope this happens at all other clubs and causes resentment and schisms across the board while we steamroll the competition happy and united.

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Bit rough on Foley and Ah Chee, I hear they've gone into the negatives.
As funny as it is thinking of Ah Chee actually paying us to play, it doesn't apply to rookies or first year players.

Great move by the club and the players. Good to see a unified approach from the guys and congratulations to all who made this happen.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I love the buy in from players, shows it was a uniform decision.
I don't mind that we're not going hard at free agency either, we've got a good draft hand that we should do well with.
If we are to target players from other clubs it should be those who are still young and not yet on much $.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I love the buy in from players, shows it was a uniform decision.
I don't mind that we're not going hard at free agency either, we've got a good draft hand that we should do well with.
If we are to target players from other clubs it should be those who are still young and not yet on much $.

Stamps out Cripps too. Good.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Now that decision shows character.

You join as a junior because you are drafted.

You stay or join later because you understand values.

Decisions like these usually lead to success. Why? They test the inner soul.

92 94 06 18 21

Bring it on

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Now that decision shows character.

You join as a junior because you are drafted.

You stay or join later because you understand values.

Decisions like these usually lead to success. Why? They test the inner soul.

92 94 06 08 21

Bring it on

08 my least favourite tbh

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
No matter how unprofessional and incompetent the AFL it still surprises me (I know it shouldnt) that they would put such shitty loose guidelines on what is a crucial topic. To make matters worse, not only did they shift most of the difficulty to the clubs, they did that at the 11th hour.

In saying that, pretty happy with the way the Eagles have handled this. Our administrators are the best in the land.

Back