Double ups in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought I would do a little bit on analysis on who has been the winners and losers out of the draw. Given the bottom three or four sides are absolute rubbish this year, the final eight may well be determined by who has been lucky enough to get the most return games against them. Note this is based on the current afl ladder, not the 2022 end of year ladder. Obviously the key movers up this year are the two SA teams, whilst the big sliders are Sydney, Richmond and to a lesser extent Geelong.

Collingwood has the worst draw with the average ladder position of our double up opponents being the highest at 6.7… and the ladder position of our “ easiest” double up being the highest at just 11th spot. Brisbane and Geelong have equally tough double ups.

Of the top eight sides, it’s Melbourne that have been kissed on the proverbial ass. The average ladder position of their double up opponents is 12. They only have one double up against a top eight side…. Their next hardest is placed 11… and two of them are bottom four sides!!!!
StKilda also have been gifted a soft double up draw although that’s a bit more understandable given they missed finals last year.

Essendon is the only team that has the benefit of three double up games against bottom four sides. Teams to play two include the aforementioned Melbourne and StKilda, as well as the Bulldogs, Dockers and Blues, along with the irrelevant Hawks and Roos. Collingwood of course get zero!!

Conclusion…. Melbourne StKilda and Essendon will have their ladder position inflated by a soft draw. Richmond, a team on the slide… got boned by the draw while Sydney a team also on the slide, have wasted a good draw.

Collingwood have a great opportunity to advance on their ladder position as the two teams directly behind them, port and Brisbane, also have tough draws against top eight teams… includiing Collingwood! Our remaining head to heads against them might decide top spot.

One other comment on our draw…why do we get no games in Perth and two in Adelaide? ( not counting the Gather round making it three). I reckon this also happened last year.

Thought I would do a little bit on analysis on who has been the winners and losers out of the draw. Given the bottom three or four sides are absolute rubbish this year, the final eight may well be determined by who has been lucky enough to get the most return games against them. Note this is based on the current afl ladder, not the 2022 end of year ladder. Obviously the key movers up this year are the two SA teams, whilst the big sliders are Sydney, Richmond and to a lesser extent Geelong.

Collingwood has the worst draw with the average ladder position of our double up opponents being the highest at 6.7… and the ladder position of our “ easiest” double up being the highest at just 11th spot. Brisbane and Geelong have equally tough double ups.

Of the top eight sides, it’s Melbourne that have been kissed on the proverbial ass. The average ladder position of their double up opponents is 12. They only have one double up against a top eight side…. Their next hardest is placed 11… and two of them are bottom four sides!!!!
StKilda also have been gifted a soft double up draw although that’s a bit more understandable given they missed finals last year.

Essendon is the only team that has the benefit of three double up games against bottom four sides. Teams to play two include the aforementioned Melbourne and StKilda, as well as the Bulldogs, Dockers and Blues, along with the irrelevant Hawks and Roos. Collingwood of course get zero!!

Conclusion…. Melbourne StKilda and Essendon will have their ladder position inflated by a soft draw. Richmond, a team on the slide… got boned by the draw while Sydney a team also on the slide, have wasted a good draw.

Collingwood have a great opportunity to advance on their ladder position as the two teams directly behind them, port and Brisbane, also have tough draws against top eight teams… includiing Collingwood! Our remaining head to heads against them might decide top spot.

One other comment on our draw…why do we get no games in Perth and two in Adelaide? ( not counting the Gather round making it three). I reckon this also happened last year.
Yep, we've been shafted. But prevailing in spite of a really tough draw has massive benefits in terms of team character and belief.

I actually prefer a tough draw as you’re consistently testing yourself against the best and gives you an opportunity to tweak things if you have double ups against the better sides. It also mitigates any doubts about where you stand against the competition benchmarks.

I actually prefer a tough draw as you’re consistently testing yourself against the best and gives you an opportunity to tweak things if you have double ups against the better sides. It also mitigates any doubts about where you stand against the competition benchmarks.

Absolutely. A key takeaway is that some of our direct competition might get there under false pretences and be shown up in September.

I've said it before, but others must also notice how rare it is for Collingwood seemingly to play the worst teams in the league twice. We could have only dreamed of getting the 2022 2W20L North or Eagles twice this year. We don't get either of them or Hawthorn twice this year, easily the 3 worst teams. Even the premiers Geelong get to play North twice.

Last year we didn't get any of the bottom three twice. In 2021 we didn't play any of the bottom 5 twice. In 2019 we only got to play one bottom 10 side twice.

Every year the stars align to give us one of the most difficult fixtures.

I've said it before, but others must also notice how rare it is for Collingwood seemingly to play the worst teams in the league twice. We could have only dreamed of getting the 2022 2W20L North or Eagles twice this year. We don't get either of them or Hawthorn twice this year, easily the 3 worst teams. Even the premiers Geelong get to play North twice.

Last year we didn't get any of the bottom three twice. In 2021 we didn't play any of the bottom 5 twice. In 2019 we only got to play one bottom 10 side twice.

Every year the stars align to give us one of the most difficult fixtures.

Yep, pretty much. It would be nice….

There are four teams who play zero double up games against bottom four sides ( based on current ladder… gWs aren’t a lot better than the bottom three) …. Collingwood Brisbane Port and Geelong. Every other team from 4th to 11th plays at least two double ups against that rabble.

Incidentally if you base it off the 2022 ladder… it’s still a zero count for Collingwood, with our lowest placed double up finishing 14th last year. We have been a fraction unlucky that two big improvers Adelaide anD Port Adelaide are both double ups.
In fact 5 of our 6 double up opponents are now higher on the ladder than they were at the end of 2022.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Markfs is shouting me one of those corporate box things, deep down is a lovely bloke

They call them corporate boxes over here because only corporates from mining companies get to hire one on game day....or someone in the western suburbs elites...

They would probably want to put you through a sheep dip before they would let you into one of them.

Thought I’d bump this in context of the eagles capitulation yesterday.

Top eight contending Teams that get the greatest benefit from double ups against the s**t teams are Essendon Melbourne and stkilda.

Teams that play the eagles twice are Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, North Melbourne, Richmond.

Of the teams that play them once, not sure how many only get an away game but of course Collingwood were one of them!

Thought I’d bump this in context of the eagles capitulation yesterday.

Top eight contending Teams that get the greatest benefit from double ups against the s**t teams are Essendon Melbourne and stkilda.

Teams that play the eagles twice are Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, North Melbourne, Richmond.

Of the teams that play them once, not sure how many only get an away game but of course Collingwood were one of them!
Are you sure that Sydney didn't play then twice yesterday? That's got to be accumulative of two games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back