Recommitted Dougal Howard [OOC 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's a bit of talk regarding the Saints being open to trading Dougal Howard. With Zaine Cordy finding form in the back line, and the Saints being vocal about wanting to add more draft picks, it seems he could be available for the right price.

For Saints fans, what is that right price?

For non-saints fans, what is he worth?

There's a bit of talk regarding the Saints being open to trading Dougal Howard. With Zaine Cordy finding form in the back line, and the Saints being vocal about wanting to add more draft picks, it seems he could be available for the right price.

late 2nd early 3rd, 35-45

"Solid" defensively but fairly poor by foot and on a decent sized contract still

What’s Howard done wrong?

I haven’t really followed him since he was at Port and was a little disappointed when he left.

I think that trade did help Port get Bergman and Georgiades, so worked well overall but did leave Port a tall defender short.

Hope I’m wrong for their supporter’s sake, but this just screams another ok, not great, top up by Essendon
To be fair he has come from two systems at the same stage as us (currently), a club who could be on the rise but not yet there.
Has leadership, even captained the Saints at one point this year, in a position we need so could certainly see this happening which I don't think isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Has the attributes to be a "big" but has never struck me as someone to wrestle the gorillas which is what we want. If he came dirt cheap id enquire absolutely but in the time we are at, a pick inside 40 is more valuable to us than Dougal

To be fair he has come from two systems at the same stage as us (currently), a club who could be on the rise but not yet there.
Has leadership, even captained the Saints at one point this year, in a position we need so could certainly see this happening which I don't think isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Has the attributes to be a "big" but has never struck me as someone to wrestle the gorillas which is what we want. If he came dirt cheap id enquire absolutely but in the time we are at, a pick inside 40 is more valuable to us than Dougal
Hey Yoda have you heard anything on this Perkins stuff apparently talking to us and the Cats or is it all just crap.

Hey Yoda have you heard anything on this Perkins stuff apparently talking to us and the Cats or is it all just crap.

Some people much more inquisitive than I did some digging and maths and it may be true but I personally think it’s rubbish.

Will wait and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about the cats, but the link to north is likely bull crap at this stage. He was overseas when the supposed convo happened.

Worth a 2nd rounder & imo would be better get than Sav & BZT.

No idea why you wouldn't want to keep Cordy over him though.

Worth a 2nd rounder & imo would be better get than Sav & BZT.

No idea why you wouldn't want to keep Cordy over him though.
Cordy has been solid enough since coming in, albeit a small sample size. I think it helps that Wilkie is taking the more dangerous forward and Battle does the attacking so his role is kept simple. Also, his running/fitness has improved significantly since coming across which helps. Another preseason with a big running program (something he hadn't been doing) could see him improve again.

We want to hit the draft and with many clubs looking for a key defender, we probably think trading Howard is our best chance at getting a usable pick back. He's a bit of a whipping boy amongst our supporters but would be a good fit at whichever clubs are chasing McKay. It's one that could backfire, particularly if we don't find another back-up type for our list, but if we can get someone else on the cheap and draft someone good, it could pay off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to drop his bundle too easily whenever I've seen him play, haven't seen him that often to be fair.

Anyone but me think he is off to the loser of the McKay sweepstakes? I still expect McKay to sign with Essendon cos the desperation is too strong. This then leaves Sydney as the ideal landing spot. I think his complete uselessness around the ground is something Sydney can hide away quite well so think it makes sense. Id say its a better capture then Ben McKay would be

Will be a blessing in disguise for whoever misses out on McKay.

Yes, he costs you a pick, but he'd be on 600k instead of 800k and is a better player.

The thing to note though is that he's not a FB. His best work is as a CHB with another KPD behind him on the last line. Think the best possible version of Sam Frost. Big spoil or mark, go for a run, hoof it 65m back inside F50...

Can't do that from the goal square which is where Ratten and Ross have gone wrong.

Richo had it right with Carlisle in behind him.

Will be a blessing in disguise for whoever misses out on McKay.

Yes, he costs you a pick, but he'd be on 600k instead of 800k and is a better player.

The thing to note though is that he's not a FB. His best work is as a CHB with another KPD behind him on the last line. Think the best possible version of Sam Frost. Big spoil or mark, go for a run, hoof it 65m back inside F50...

Can't do that from the goal square which is where Ratten and Ross have gone wrong.

Richo had it right with Carlisle in behind him.
Yep the better player.... that's why everyone is falling over themselves trying to get him to their club rather than McKay...

Yep the better player.... that's why everyone is falling over themselves trying to get him to their club rather than McKay...

McKay is a free agent as opposed to a contracted player which is why there's a bidding war from clubs that are looking for a KPD.

There's also been no confirmation that Howard is looking to leave St Kilda or that the Saints are shopping him around.
It's all speculation based on Cordy being picked for the final round and finals instead of Howard, who was coming back from injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back