Delisted Doulton Langlands

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda has selected Murray Bushrangers midfielder Doulton Langlands with pick No. 8 in Monday afternoon's Rookie Draft.

Langlands was a member of Greater Western Sydney’s academy in recent years and played 25 games across the past two years in the TAC Cup.

He also represented the Allies in the under-18 national championships in the middle of this year.

Renowned for his speed and his damaging kick, Langlands has some traits that could excel at the highest level.

The 18-year-old is the second player the Saints have acquired from the Murray Bushrangers this year, after the club picked midfielder Ben Paton at No. 46 in Friday night’s NAB AFL Draft.

St Kilda used it's second and final selection in the Rookie Draft on ruckman Lewis Pierce, who the club had recommitted to selecting last month.
b8d6d268df5fa874b036ca28229f623a.jpg

Last edited:

Doulton Langlands was sitting in front of his computer on Monday afternoon when his life changed before his eyes.

Unlike the NAB AFL Draft that has transformed into a bonanza in the last decade, the Rookie Draft unfolds online like an auction, with names filtering down a screen one by one.

While the dashing Murray Bushrangers wingman had spoken to St Kilda several times, and even had a home visit from State Recruiting Manager Chris Toce, he wasn’t sure the Saints would pick him on Monday until he refreshed the page and saw his name next to St Kilda’s pick No. 8.

“I spoke to the Saints a few times, but I didn’t really have a clear idea that I was going to get picked,” Langlands told saints.com.au on Wednesday afternoon.

“It was pretty exciting (to be drafted), especially to come here to the Saints who are such an up and coming team to go to with a lot of opportunity here.”

Langlands relocated from his hometown of Albury on Tuesday afternoon and started his new life at Linen House Centre on Wednesday morning, completing a whirlwind few days.

One name he won’t have to familiarise himself with is former Bushrangers teammate Ben Paton, who the Saints selected with their final pick last Friday night.

“Me and Benny have been good mates for a little while now, so it definitely makes the transition much easier,” Langlands said.

“We’ve done a lot of our running and stuff like that together in the off-season, so it’s good to be here with him.”

A day after relocating from just over the border to the big smoke, Langlands is moving in with star midfielder David Armitage until the Christmas break, adding another unique experience to his week so far.

“I’m moving in with ‘Armo’ tonight so hopefully the transition is good,” he said.

“It’s a little bit daunting but he seems like a great fella so I’m sure we’ll get along really well and settle in.”

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-03/big-shift-see-saints-rookie-spread-his-wings

IT'S THE highlights reel that should have St Kilda fans drooling.

The Saints have been crying out for a speedy midfielder with brilliant foot skills and Doulton Langlands might be the man for the job.

Picked up with the eighth selection in last Monday's rookie draft, the 187cm wingman is thrilling. Don't be surprised to see Langlands burn off an opponent and take a few bounces.

The former Murray Bushranger runs 20m in under 2.9 seconds – that's blisteringly fast – and while he is a right-footer, it's hard to tell, such is his proficiency on his left.

A brilliant goal he nailed against the Geelong Falcons in August is a prime example. Langlands won the contest, spun around an opponent, stepped around another and booted it on his left from 40m.

That ability to steady himself while running full tilt was developed in the last 12 months.

"He's very considered and very balanced at speed. That's a fairly unique skill," Bushrangers regional manager Mick Wilson told AFL.com.au.

There are areas to work on, obviously. Players slip through to the rookie draft for a reason. Consistency is an issue and he also needs to build his tank, but his impressive work ethic should see that improve once he is in the system.

Several clubs were interested in Langlands. The youngest of four children originally could have been recruited by Greater Western Sydney at a discount, since he spent time in its academy, but Albury was taken out of the Giants' priority recruiting zone earlier this year.

Langlands is quiet and reserved, but he was in the Bushrangers' leadership group because of how respected he is.

He earned that stature through acts such as when a young player from Cairns came down to the club in July.

It was an uncomfortable environment for the youngster, barely knowing anyone and moving to chilly Wangaratta in the depths of winter, far different from his usual surrounds of tropical north Queensland.

"Without anyone asking or expecting Doulton to introduce himself, I noticed Doulton was drawn to him immediately and was asking about him, trying to make him as comfortable as possible. Asking about his family and his friends and what he did in Cairns," Wilson said.

"(Langlands) was standing at the back of the group and he was helping with names.

"He did this all off his own back, without trying to bring attention to himself. He just has those leadership qualities and is just a good kid."

Langlands didn't miss a session while at the Bushrangers, even if sick or injured, and his diet was excellent, to the point that he helped his peers improve their eating habits.

While he has spent a lot of time across half-back, the Xavier High School Albury graduate shifted to the wing for the last five weeks of the season and hit his best form, playing with more flair as his confidence grew.

Langlands' long kicking came to the fore and he was in a better position to roost goals, booting four in the last three weeks of the TAC Cup season.

Coming to the club with good mate and former North Albury teammate Ben Paton, who was selected at No.46 in the NAB AFL Draft, will help both as they make the move to the elite level together.

One thing is for sure – Langlands' effort won't be called into question.

"He won't leave any stone unturned," Wilson said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally confirmation from the AFL site that Dolts has an injury.

"Rookie Doulton Langlands has a hamstring concern and will miss another week."

Nothing mentioned on the Saints' Injury Report again.

Got a game in 2 weeks ago against Box Hill and did a few nice things. Likes to break lines.

12 disposals, 2 marks, 2 I50s

Doulton Langlands (1.0) Eight kicks, nine handballs, two marks, two tackles

Doulton’s a contested player, so we just want him to keep the game simple and take the game on. He played wing on the weekend and ran his lanes really well. He’s working on a couple of areas of his game, but we like what we see in terms of him being really dynamic and confident with ball in hand.

Go Saints

Doulton’s a contested player, so we just want him to keep the game simple and take the game on. He played wing on the weekend and ran his lanes really well. He’s working on a couple of areas of his game, but we like what we see in terms of him being really dynamic and confident with ball in hand.

Go Saints
Doults goes in for a touchdown and nails it! ;)

IMG_7574.JPG

Hamill says - Doulton Langlands 4 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 6 tackles

Doulton is playing wing for us in his first year, and he’s starting to get some good positioning around stoppage and then working both ways. We’re working on him being a two-way runner and being really explosive with his legs and taking the game on. He’s another who we think is improving and going in the right direction.

Go Saints

Hamill says -
Doulton Langlands (1.1) 4 kicks, 2 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles

‘Doults’ does like the gym, and he’s doing a good job in there. He’s developing nicely and played more forward on the weekend as we had Coffield on the wing. He showed some promising signs, and we’ve got to get a bit more forward craft into his play to keep him developing.

Go Saints

The Saints have secured the services of two rookie-listed players for the next twelve months, with Darragh Joyce and Doulton Langlands inking new deals.

Both Joyce and Langlands were set to go out of contract at the end of 2018, but General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said the men had earned their spots on the Saints’ list next year.

“We’ve been really impressed by what we’ve seen from Darragh and Doulton,” Lethlean said.

WATCH: Darragh's debut

“Darragh managed to make his debut in Round 15 against the Dees and did a really solid job against Jesse Hogan.

“His elite athleticism and one-on-one defence is really impressive, particularly when you put into context that he’s only been playing football for the past few years.

“Doulton has also made really great strides since being drafted at the end of last year.

“He’s an explosive two-way runner with the ability to burst out of stoppage.

READ: Emerging stars to stay Saints

“He’s proved himself as a handy wingman and forward at VFL level, and I’m sure he’ll be banging down the door for senior selection next year.”

Joyce joined the Saints after being drafted as a 2017 international rookie, while Langlands made the move from Albury after being selected with pick 8 in the 2018 Rookie Draft.

Go Saints

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-12-13/langlands-eyes-debut

Calling it now - Will be in the team before the bye.

Every AFL player dreams of making their debut.

For Doulton Langlands, it’s about turning that dream into a reality.

Pulling on the red, white and black guernsey is always at the forefront of the rookie midfielder’s mind, with the 19-year-old giving himself every opportunity for selection in 2019.

Langlands is one of two Saints drafted prior to 2018 yet to make his debut, with Oscar Clavarino the other recruit pressing to make his maiden senior appearance.

ARE YOU WITH ST KILDA? BECOME A MEMBER NOW AND MARCH IN WITH THE SAINTS IN 2019

Finetuning several aspects of his game will be of top priority for the budding midfielder in realising his ambition, with consistency in execution and influence paramount to earning his debut.

“I’m trying to work on my kicking on the run and also trying to work out the balance around contests,” Langlands said.

“I get as many games in the AFL as I can, get a bit of experience and then move into the midfield.”

His 13 games with Sandringham last season began to tighten the screws, with coach Aaron Hamill playing a significant role in shaping the Murray Bushrangers product into a future weapon of the Saints.

“Sammy (Hamill) was really good for us this year, especially with getting the extras done and trying to become more professional as a player,” Langlands said.

“Especially coming from TAC Cup to AFL, it’s such a big step up. He helped show us what the best of the best are doing.”

Hamill’s advice has been taken in stride, with the former GWS academy player looking towards some of the competition’s elite to enhance his game.

Since coming to RSEA Park, the youngster has modelled his developing game style off one of the most volatile and pacey midfielders in the business, club champion Jack Steven.

Armed with explosive pace, an ability to burst through stoppages and a knack for hitting the scoreboard, Langlands boasts qualities comparable to the four-time Trevor Barker Award winner.

“He has definitely been someone who I’ve watched play,” Langlands said.

“We’ve got similar attributes like our speed, and I’m trying to get to that next level that he’s at and use my pace in games more.”

For the time being, Langlands has been forced to put a dampener on using his blistering speed, with a niggling hamstring injury impeding his pre-season progress as the Saints gear towards 2019.

Alongside housemates Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield, the emerging young gun will be intent on making an immediate impact in St Kilda colours next year.

Despite seeing the duo line up for the Saints on numerous occasions throughout last season, it has only fuelled Langlands’ desire to make his debut.

“There’s a little bit of friendly competition on the field. If someone’s excelling, you always want to try and match that and then get to that next level,” Langlands said.

“Seeing the boys last year playing AFL, you’re just thinking ‘gees, I want to be there’.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back