Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

My first job in 1970 John Puxley was my boss.

Pugsley_Addams_1964.jpg

Just watching Fish weaving some magic in the congestion had me recalling a few of Vin Catoggio's pieces of fancy footwork.
Cant remember the games but I do remember the moves.
Running backwards out of a pack, at some speed and the first time I recall anyone doing a mid air pirouette, full 360 to break a tackle.
He was one of the slickest handballers getting around as well.
Remember him winning a speed hand balling comp on Wide World of Sport.... Lou Richards and I think Captain Blood might both have been presiding.
Anyone dig up some footage of any/all of the above ?

Just watching Fish weaving some magic in the congestion had me recalling a few of Vin Catoggio's pieces of fancy footwork.
Running backwards out of a pack, at some speed and the first time I recall anyone doing a mid air pirouette, full 360 to break a tackle.
Remember him winning a speed hand balling comp on Wide World of Sport.... Lou Richards and I think Captain Blood might both have been presiding.
One of my best memories was standing on the outer wing at Princes Park and watching the great little man Vinnie execute 3 blind turns in a row, he had some moves did Vinny.

Last edited:
One of my best memories was standing on the outer wing at Princes Park and watching the great little man Vinnie exocute 3 blind turns in a row, he had some moves did Vinny.
Players with the best dancing feet. Catoggio was one of the best. I’m also nominating Trevor Keogh and Scott Camporeale.

Some Vinnie for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vin’s brother Laurie was in business with a mate of mine. Vin used to do painting for them. Cracking bloke and a seriously good player. Such a shame the 73 GF wrecked his confidence but in full flight he was a pleasure to watch. Really wish he played in the 79 grand final.

Vin’s brother Laurie was in business with a mate of mine. Vin used to do painting for them. Cracking bloke and a seriously good player. Such a shame the 73 GF wrecked his confidence but in full flight he was a pleasure to watch. Really wish he played in the 79 grand final.
Dead right, i've known him since high school a nicer bloke you'll never meet. Enough of the compliments now he might be reading this.

I reckon that dog Balme, ironing out one of the best and fairest players I think I ever saw play in Geoff Southby, in that grand final was the moment that my hatred of Richmond was ignited.

SOS was the well deserved fullback of the century. But Southby was the ultimate Carlton fullback.

Not often mentioned in best player conversations. He certainly should be.

I reckon that dog Balme, ironing out one of the best and fairest players I think I ever saw play in Geoff Southby, in that grand final was the moment that my hatred of Richmond was ignited.

SOS was the well deserved fullback of the century. But Southby was the ultimate Carlton fullback.

Not often mentioned in best player conversations. He certainly should be.
Southby was, IMHO, a better defender than SOS, but of course SOS could go forward & win a game off his own boot.

Those who don't mention Southby in the best player conversations are either kidding themselves or didn't see him play.

Southby was, IMHO, a better defender than SOS, but of course SOS could go forward & win a game off his own boot.

Those who don't mention Southby in the best player conversations are either kidding themselves or didn't see him play.

I saw Southby a lot. Excellent FB but SOS was better. More athletic and quicker. Played on the best forwards that ever played and beat them regularly

I can’t rate Southby in the same bracket as SOS Doull Jezza Sticks or Nichols. Close but IMO next level down

Southby won the B&F in each of his first two years (including a premiership year).

He was an absolute star and barring Balme's intervention IMO would have been the VFL/AFL team of the century full back. Whilst still a very good player he was never the quite the same after the 73 GF.

Along the same lines, SEN this arvo had a discussion about the best Collingwood players ever. My view is that John Greening would have been the best Pie ever except for Jim O'Dea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back