Universal Love Down Memory Lane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
View attachment 787682
Big Nick running into the ‘G in the 1973 GF (I think). Possibly 1972. How ripped is Big Nick? My mum use to get the best tix for the games. Close to the teams races.
Once saw a similar photo in the paper or a website. Found it. Did the photo below capture you taking the photo that you posted? Running behind big Nick is Walls, Robertson?, Dickson and Hurst. Its 1972 because Hurst & Robertson did not play in the 73GF.

1575270786415.png

Robbo's my hero

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2007
Sunbury
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Once saw a similar photo in the paper or a website. Found it. Did the photo below capture you taking the photo that you posted? Running behind big Nick is Walls, Robertson?, Dickson and Hurst. Its 1972 because Hurst & Robertson did not play in the 73GF.

View attachment 788053
It’s definitely 1972 then. I didn’t take the photo. It was amongst my mum’s possessions. However in this shot I reckon that’s me (well half of my head, behind the guy in the light shirt) in the top left of the photo.

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Went onto the ground after the game (like 3,000 others) and we all stood at where he kicked it and just shook our heads. Not only the distance, but it went in at goal post height. Two weeks later against Hawthorn he only needs to score a point and kicks it on the full from 15 metres out. Go figure.
That one point PF loss in 1976 still irks. We were by far the best team in the comp that year and went out in straight sets.

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

View attachment 788053
Armstrong was the key loss in that game. He got appendicitis a few days before the game. He had been in career best form.

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
That one point PF loss in 1976 still irks. We were by far the best team in the comp that year and went out in straight sets.
We lost to Hawthorn in wet conditions the previous week in the second semi but I thought we could knock them off on a dry surface (as we did twice that year) in the grand final.
I was a kid at the time who idolised Jesaulenko and was shattered to lose that prelim. Should have won as we had several shots at goal in the last minutes. Could also have easily ended up in a draw which would have had repercussions for Hawthorn who would have faced the dilemma of not playing for 3 weeks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom