Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
End of an era was this.
Had to re-build after this with the guys from 70's and early 80's past their best as a group.
We could still play some quality football on our day but overall we had dropped away over 1984 and 85 to no longer be a serious contender those two seasons.
This was Parkin's last game as coach in that era.

footyfan1978

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
elliot said carlton didn't rebuild? must've been a beaut seeing how we lost the gf the following year and won it the next, now that's a rebuild I could get behind
He is right once the draft and salary cap era started. We never built or re-bulit anything once the new league systems were in place.
But this was the last hurrah before that when clubs still had under 19's and recruited from other clubs by player transfer fees to intestate and local clubs.
We knew that system well and actually did it well before Elliott thinking of no re-builds was the legacy of his salary cap scandal era....

I always see it the first time as a club we embraced the modern era of salary caps and draft era was end of 2015.... Now we been building since then and finally got some serious foundations in for rest of this decade. Then we probably re-build for first time in this system towards end of this decade. Hopefully after flag number four this decade. A man can dream.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
My 90 year old mother is up against it at the moment, they give her about a week, she has said nothing coherent in three weeks except go Blues after our two wins.
Ninety is a great innings Rob.
When the old boy went through his you have time to reflect a little, no matter what age they are youre never going to be ready for it.
I’ve been lucky enough to get some “bonus” time with him. I’ve tried my hardest to make it as valuable as possible.
It doesn’t have to be anything special, normal things like watching a game of footy together.

He would love nothing more before he goes for The Blues get up in the big one. Now that would be special.

And it’s why this game, and this club, is woven into our DNA.

Thoughts are with you and the family during this time.

footyfan1978

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ninety is a great innings Rob.
When the old boy went through his you have time to reflect a little, no matter what age they are youre never going to be ready for it.
I’ve been lucky enough to get some “bonus” time with him. I’ve tried my hardest to make it as valuable as possible.
It doesn’t have to be anything special, normal things like watching a game of footy together.

He would love nothing more before he goes for The Blues get up in the big one. Now that would be special.

And it’s why this game, and this club, is woven into our DNA.

Thoughts are with you and the family during this time.
Importantly ask questions whilst you still can of their time in life when they were young and can remember back that far.
My sister recorded stuff she asked my Dad before he was too sick to communicate anymore. Some of things he said never knew and would have love to ask about and learn more about but when they gone all that knowledge of family history stuff and amazing details are lost with them gone to pass it on.

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Robbo & Aph

What were your thoughts at half time?

The reactions of people there must have been amazing to see when Jezza kicked the last goal that bounced thru.

A friend of mine once told me that he knew a Carlton fan who left the game at half time and went home!

Aphrodite

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Robbo & Aph

What were your thoughts at half time?

The reactions of people there must have been amazing to see when Jezza kicked the last goal that bounced thru.

A friend of mine once told me that he knew a Carlton fan who left the game at half time and went home!

I was very young at the time and I remember we were 44pts down at half time & I honestly thought were were done.

Then a guy with blonde hair came on after half time & kicked 4 goals. I had no idea who he was at the time.

I also remember Jezza's mark.

The rest is history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BigFrizz36

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Reckon I went to every home and away game in 1970 except for the Melbourne game where Jezza kicked his 100th. We had to visit friends in the Otways and I remember listening to it on 3KZ and hoping that Jezza wouldn't kick the five that he needed. Oh well. The year turned out pretty well though.

RobR

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Roys FFC
Reckon I went to every home and away game in 1970 except for the Melbourne game where Jezza kicked his 100th. We had to visit friends in the Otways and I remember listening to it on 3KZ and hoping that Jezza wouldn't kick the five that he needed. Oh well. The year turned out pretty well though.
Correct me if i'm wrong Frizz, but would 1970 be the only year that Jezza played as a full forward every week. I seem to remember after 70 he played a lot in the midfield and half forward until he put himself at half back.

BigFrizz36

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Correct me if i'm wrong Frizz, but would 1970 be the only year that Jezza played as a full forward every week. I seem to remember after 70 he played a lot in the midfield and half forward until he put himself at half back.
It's kind of funny when your young you don't really notice trends. He did kick 56 or so in 1971 and we had an average year and didn't make the finals. Barass left and big nick changed his role. In 1972 and was more half forward. Kicked 19 goals before the prelim and then kicked 7 in the prelim and 7 in the g/f. I reckon 1971 was his last real year as a full forward apart from the 2 finals on 1972.

Top Bottom