Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Coming home from the footy on Friday night and I had a feeling of deja vu as I contemplated our progress this season.

Carlton was a basket case at the end of the 1964 season (my first season of going to the footy). We’d finished 10th with 5 wins and a draw. My recollection was of a competitive team who just fell short. I’ve just checked the ladder and our % despite the win loss record was 90.3%. We had good players and Gordon Collis won the Brownlow but we needed some more polished performers, a new administration and a decent coach much like at the end of 2021 season.

I’m not sure how quickly this will translate into success. From 1965 to 1967 it was a steady build before we won our drought breaking premiership in 1968. Nicholls, Silvagni, Lofts et al were joined by Quirk, Robertson, Crane, Jeasaulenko and Crosswell and many others for the dynasty that followed.

I suspect we’re further along at this stage and that’s why I’m excited. There’s no Big Nick in this team but everywhere else there are players now who bookend those greats of the past.

So take it from this old bugger. The Blueboys are coming at a rate of knots which gives me that feeling that I’ve seen it all before.
There was that bloke we picked up from Melbourne too... don't remember the name.

There was that bloke we picked up from Melbourne too... don't remember the name.
The bloke who played completely uncompromising football and was always likely to demand the same as a coach?

Sounds like a good recipe for a coaching appointment. We should keep that in mind for current appointments. Or maybe we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1408002
Looking through stuff today. We’re downsizing like all good boomers should do and found this.
was at the game but have since lost the card - howled like a baby, not about the card, about the end of things as I had always known them.........

was at the game but have since lost the card - howled like a baby, not about the card, about the end of things as I had always known them.........
I’ve gone past Princes Park on a number of occasions recently and I smile when I think of the importance of that venue and park to me and my family. They can tear down the stands and stop playing games there but they can’t erase my memories nor yours and the many others on this forum who feel the same way.

Coming home from the footy on Friday night and I had a feeling of deja vu as I contemplated our progress this season.

Carlton was a basket case at the end of the 1964 season (my first season of going to the footy). We’d finished 10th with 5 wins and a draw. My recollection was of a competitive team who just fell short. I’ve just checked the ladder and our % despite the win loss record was 90.3%. We had good players and Gordon Collis won the Brownlow but we needed some more polished performers, a new administration and a decent coach much like at the end of 2021 season.

I’m not sure how quickly this will translate into success. From 1965 to 1967 it was a steady build before we won our drought breaking premiership in 1968. Nicholls, Silvagni, Lofts et al were joined by Quirk, Robertson, Crane, Jeasaulenko and Crosswell and many others for the dynasty that followed.

I suspect we’re further along at this stage and that’s why I’m excited. There’s no Big Nick in this team but everywhere else there are players now who bookend those greats of the past.

So take it from this old bugger. The Blueboys are coming at a rate of knots which gives me that feeling that I’ve seen it all before.
Thanks old bugger.
Love reading posts like this of people that lived through these times, that before my time.
Allows me to feel a little bit of what it must have been like then.

I saw this news today. It’s terribly sad for the Lloyd family and the many friends of John.

I’m old enough to remember John Lloyd playing for Carlton. A dour half back and that’s not disrespectful as most of those who played across half back in those days could be described in the same way. Barass gave him his marching orders at the end of the 1967 season and 29 games for the Blues.

My mum knew John from his time at Carlton. There was a house mum in Coburg where the new recruits would board before they found their own digs. Vonnie looked after these boys like they were her children. Mum and Vonnie were good mates and we would spend lots of time there. I’d get to rub shoulders with some of my heroes. I was a total introvert (I still am) and wouldn’t say boo to the many stars who passed through that process.

From memory the players would have barbecues to raise money and my mum was a caterer so her skills were sort after. I remember John having one of these events and I guess that’s where it all started. The relationship continued until my mum’s passing in 1992.

I have a lovely photo, which is probably from the late 80’s, of John, his wife and 3 boys which I think was taken in Edinburgh. She was travelling, probably seeing my brother-in-law’s family in Sunderland and thought Edinburgh’s not far away. How the hell she tracked him down is a mystery.

Anyway everyone in the photo is smiling (even Matty) and it makes me smile when I look at the photo. True to form, John acknowledged the visit with a card and thoughtful message. He was that kind of guy.

So I’m sending my love to the Lloyd family and I’m grieving for him on behalf of my mum.

was just looking in the Blueseum for any 150th year anniversaries we may have had, around 2013/2014 a la Essendon's 150th last night. TBH i couldn't find one and can't remember one.

Any suggestions / memories?

was just looking in the Blueseum for any 150th year anniversaries we may have had, around 2013/2014 a la Essendon's 150th last night. TBH i couldn't find one and can't remember one.

Any suggestions / memories?

I have had a look as well online but couldn't find anything.

It was in 2014.

The 150th year celebrations were held at The Plenary at The Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre which I attended.

It was an amazing & memorable night.

Over 1200 attended.

show_image.php

I have had a look as well online but couldn't find anything.

It was in 2014.

The 150th year celebrations were held at The Plenary at The Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre Centre which I attended.

It was an amazing & memorable night.

Over 1200 attended.

show_image.php
did they give you a second seat for your chanel accessories, hairspray & sugared almonds, aph?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back