Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

We wore a 150th guernsey with the 16 cups on it for the Round 7 game against Collingwood.

We also wore a 150th guernsey in round 10 against Adelaide which had member names on it and all player names.

The big 150th event was a great night and was a mid week event from memory so was not really close to any one game?

There might have been a bit of stuff that happened before the Collingwood game in terms of videos/celebrations, but my memory is pretty bad and cannot recall it. :think:

Given how prominent Simon Madden was around the Essendon celebrations, it got me on to thinking about possibly our most famous Essendon discard, his brother Justin.

How did big Harry go while he was at the Bombers? Did he look likely? Or were we taking a fair risk in recruiting him?

Given how prominent Simon Madden was around the Essendon celebrations, it got me on to thinking about possibly our most famous Essendon discard, his brother Justin.

How did big Harry go while he was at the Bombers? Did he look likely? Or were we taking a fair risk in recruiting him?
Played around 50 games I think. He was a galloping giraffe right throughout his career. He had his ups and down but once he matured he was a great player. Around 1985, he was up, up and away and never looked back. Too intellectual for Sheeds.😉

We wore a 150th guernsey with the 16 cups on it for the Round 7 game against Collingwood.

We also wore a 150th guernsey in round 10 against Adelaide which had member names on it and all player names.

The big 150th event was a great night and was a mid week event from memory so was not really close to any one game?

There might have been a bit of stuff that happened before the Collingwood game in terms of videos/celebrations, but my memory is pretty bad and cannot recall it. :think:

It was held on a Saturday night & we played the Hawks the night before.

That I do remember.

He was a bean pole, not too different to Mirkov now. The problem was Essendon simply had too many talls
Right now I randomly click on round 1 scores of 1982 when he still at Essendon.
They play Footscray in round 1. The hit out stats... Justin Madden 31 and Simon Madden 23 for Essendon.
Footscray.. Terry De Koning 9, Alister Ford 6, Terry Love 1 and Kelvin Templeton 1
Essendon won by 109 points.
That was Justin Madden's 5th game in his career.
He was 20 years old and 2 months from turning 21.
Simon 3 and a half years older and still only 24 himself so what scope is there to continue to play two rucks?

Must admit next part surprises me. Justin played all 23 games with them that season for 631 hit outs.
Would not have expected that if not just looked it up.
Simon missed 2 matches and 230 hitouts so looks like they persisted all season with two rucks in the same side.
Simon kicked 49 goals for season so was obviously playing forward a lot.
They also had Roger Merrett, Max Crow and Paul Salmon on their list.

They lost in first week of finals with opposition one ruck of Dempsey taking twice as many marks as those brothers around the ground.
I suspect with Salmon on horizon, the off season thinking was not everyone could be played in same side of these talls.
I have no recall how the player transfer was done by Essendon and Carlton. At those times I think more on monetary terms only.
Do not recall a player going to Essendon from it.
I suspect he came to Carlton with thoughts of being a forward maybe.

His debut for Carlton was round 7 of 1983 where kicked 5 goals v Swans up in Sydney.
Fitzzy first ruck.
Fitzzy 30 years old and Wow Jones 29 were still on our list.
Fitzzy I think retired at end of that season.
I believe in that off season Justin grew about 4 or 5 centimetres more which was weird but apparently the story in the 1984 pre-season.

Round 1 of 1984 was he and David Honybun the rucks with Madden 5 goals, Warren Ralph 9 on debut as full forward and Wayne Johnston doing as he liked from forward of centre and probably set up half of Ralph and Harry's goals that day. Dominator slotted a lazy 5 of his own when not sharing it with the taller clowns.
We won by only 137 points....
Madden still playing ruck and forward whilst Wow Jones still around for much of that 1984 season.
I think it was 1985 when Harry started to really be a number one ruck and mostly go solo.
Wow only played 3 matches in 1985 and then went to the Carlton retirement village at Linton Street for a few years after that.

He was a bean pole, not too different to Mirkov now. The problem was Essendon simply had too many talls
They play Footscray in round 1. The hit out stats... Justin Madden 31 and Simon Madden 23 for Essendon.
Footscray.. Terry De Koning 9, Alister Ford 6, Terry Love 1 and Kelvin Templeton 1
Simon 3 and a half years older and still only 24 himself so what scope is there to continue to play two rucks?

Must admit next part surprises me. Justin played all 23 games with them that season for 631 hit outs.
Simon missed 2 matches and 230 hitouts so looks like they persisted all season with two rucks in the same side.

They lost in first week of finals with opposition one ruck of Dempsey taking twice as many marks as those brothers around the ground.
I suspect with Salmon on horizon, the off season thinking was not everyone could be played in same side of these talls.
I have no recall how the player transfer was done by Essendon and Carlton. At those times I think more on monetary terms only.

His debut for Carlton was round 7 of 1983 where kicked 5 goals v Swans up in Sydney.
Fitzzy first ruck.
I believe in that off season Justin grew about 4 or 5 centimetres more which was weird but apparently the story in the 1984 pre-season.

Round 1 of 1984 was he and David Honybun the rucks with Madden 5 goals, Warren Ralph 9 on debut as full forward and Wayne Johnston doing as he liked from forward of centre and probably set up half of Ralph and Harry's goals that day. Dominator slotted a lazy 5 of his own when not sharing it with the taller clowns.
Madden still playing ruck and forward whilst Wow Jones still around for much of that 1984 season.
I think it was 1985 when Harry started to really be a number one ruck and mostly go solo.
Wow only played 3 matches in 1985 and then went to the Carlton retirement village at Linton Street for a few years after that.
Was Honybun vertical or horizontal on the ground?

Fitzzy first ruck.

True story. After Harry left * he was up for grabs and wasn't playing anywhere at the start of 1983 (not sure why)

Easter a group of us country footballers always headed down to Wye River for a big weekend including an all dayer at the pub on the Saturday. Lo and behold mid arvo Harry turns up with friends.

A few of us died in the wool blueboys took it upon ourselves to convince him to join the blues. We bartered about contract terms for quite a while and ended up with a formal offer of 3 slabs, 2 packets of P.J dark blues, a couple of pizzas and a trip to the parlours each week. Think from memory that we even got him to sign a "contract" at said terms, although it was a bit hazy towards the end.

He got into the spirit of things and everyone had a good laugh. Couple of weeks later he did sign for real so we dined out on the " we signed Harry Madden to Carlton" story for years.

True story. After Harry left * he was up for grabs and wasn't playing anywhere at the start of 1983 (not sure why)

Easter a group of us country footballers always headed down to Wye River for a big weekend including an all dayer at the pub on the Saturday. Lo and behold mid arvo Harry turns up with friends.

A few of us died in the wool blueboys took it upon ourselves to convince him to join the blues. We bartered about contract terms for quite a while and ended up with a formal offer of 3 slabs, 2 packets of P.J dark blues, a couple of pizzas and a trip to the parlours each week. Think from memory that we even got him to sign a "contract" at said terms, although it was a bit hazy towards the end.

He got into the spirit of things and everyone had a good laugh. Couple of weeks later he did sign for real so we dined out on the " we signed Harry Madden to Carlton" story for years.
ha ha. Brilliant.
I was thinking today after my post, I wondered what the actual deal was for player transfer. I mean for him to have over 600 hit outs in seniors the season before it crazy you just transfer him for a packet of Ruffles.

I suspect money but I wonder if some of those old form 4 things they talk about in those times also were passed on to Essendon.
Probably the Wes Lofts of this world would know.
There must be an interview or podcast somewhere where Harry mentions it.

Last edited:
ha ha. Brilliant.
I was thinking today after my post, I wondered what the actual deal was for player transfer. I mean for him to have our 600 hit outs in seniors the season before it crazy you just transfer him for a packet of Ruffles.

I suspect money but I wonder if some of those old form 4 things they talk about in those times also were passed on to Essendon.
Probably the Wes Lofts of this world would know.
There must be an interview or podcast somewhere where Harry mentions it.

Harry had agreed terms with Carlton, but needed a clearance from Essendon.

The Foschini stuff was around at the time and Harry made it known he would take it to court if need be.

Essendon relented six weeks into the 83 season and granted a clearance at a cost of 75k.

From Harry's book, titled Harry.

Harry had agreed terms with Carlton, but needed a clearance from Essendon.

The Foschini stuff was around at the time and Harry made it known he would take it to court if need be.

Essendon relented six weeks into the 83 season and granted a clearance at a cost of 75k.

From Harry's book, titled Harry.
Brilliant. Thanks for that.
Answers the query perfectly and adds the context of Foschini stuff.
Amusing Harry had mindset to let it be known he would be willing to take it to court.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when I think the world couldn’t get any bleaker after last night’s game I download Thursday’s paper and I’m back in a happy space again. Was there. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

As a non-Carlton supporter I have to admit I've thoroughly enjoyed reading every page of this thread. Bought back many memories, some good some not as a Tigers supporter. Kudos for Carlton having a thread like this to reflect back on nostalgic times. All boards should have a thread like this! Sadly I think you guys are the only club to do it.

Just when I think the world couldn’t get any bleaker after last night’s game I download Thursday’s paper and I’m back in a happy space again. Was there. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Great article. John Nicholls was an amazing tactician; his footy brain and our secrecy won us the 72 flag.

Before we played North Melbourne in the 1975 qualifying final Big Nick planned a number of changes for the game including playing Jesaulenko at centre half forward after having been the half back flanker for most of the year.

Nicholls discussed these plans in confidence with the players and the match commitee 2 days before the game but unfortunately unlike pre 72 grand final our secret tactics were revealed.

Nicholls received a phone call on the morning before the game to tell him that North and Barassi knew all of our secret tactics, including the Jezza move and were therefore ready for anything we tried to do. Nicholls reckons that cost us the game. North won by 20 points.

just the purest of footballers..........how blessed was I to see this bloke play 150 odd games?

In Thy years, that’s when you were an infant, right? You must be rapt to watch Patrick Cripps in 2022 as a teenager.

For old time Carlton supporters from the 60's and 70's when we had the fertile recruiting ground of the Bendigo League.

1972 - Bendigo football league ( Caltex VIc county champions ) back row - Doug Carter , Peter Lovell , Jeff McCubbery , Keith Raynor , Jamie Byrne , Kevin Pedrotti , Barry Mulcair ,
Middle- Brendan Keane , Ray Byrne , Lionel Learmonth , Tony Southcombe , Bernie McCarthy , Mike Hammond , Mel Crawford , Peter Davey , David Barling , Graham Betts .
Front - Neil Cordy , Ron Dunne , Rod Ashman , Mervyn Gould , Peter Moroni (v.c) , Ron Auchetti ( capt) , Graham Arthur ( coach ) , Russell Evans , Kevin Sheehan .

Bendigo Team.jpg

i was one of the people who wanted to jump the fence when Milburn took SOS out I still remember the feeling at PP that day.
Honestly one could say it was payback, the feeling at a Geelong game the day the dominator took out scratcher Neale was very similar.
You could say Milburns at the time was within the rules of the game, I don't think the Doms actions ever were and never will be accepted.
Milburn went on and provoked the crowd to get such a big reaction, the Dom didn't but he had more wanting to jump the fence.
It's probably been covered on here before, it's where my head goes when someone tries to stir me up over the Milburn incident.

For old time Carlton supporters from the 60's and 70's when we had the fertile recruiting ground of the Bendigo League.

1972 - Bendigo football league ( Caltex VIc county champions ) back row - Doug Carter , Peter Lovell , Jeff McCubbery , Keith Raynor , Jamie Byrne , Kevin Pedrotti , Barry Mulcair ,
Middle- Brendan Keane , Ray Byrne , Lionel Learmonth , Tony Southcombe , Bernie McCarthy , Mike Hammond , Mel Crawford , Peter Davey , David Barling , Graham Betts .
Front - Neil Cordy , Ron Dunne , Rod Ashman , Mervyn Gould , Peter Moroni (v.c) , Ron Auchetti ( capt) , Graham Arthur ( coach ) , Russell Evans , Kevin Sheehan .

View attachment 1449300
Wow, Shifter there.
I assume the Lovell dude is a father or uncle to the one that played at the Dees?

Came across this photo

• Coach - Ebernezer Voss
  • Captain - Sir Walter Cripps

(and what's Plowman doing there :D )

View attachment 1480599

Standing: Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, thylacine60

Front row: Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Moe Howard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back