Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

I was born a couple of years before one of our flags, been around for 8 in total

I will hang around for double figures, the rest is a bonus
I was actually at all of those eight premierships watching with my father who grew up across the street from Princes Park and attended Princes Hill Primary School....

My father even took me to the 1962 final series as a four-year-old boy and I saw the emergence under the Barrassi years... Where my blue boys suddenly became far more professional and recruited champion players like Jezza and Crosswell...

Whilst Robert walls and David McKay were developing through the reserves into great senior players...Nicholls & Silvagni were the supreme leaders that set the example through their deeds And inspirational words...

Having the Bendigo League as our recruiting zone made all the difference with champions like Southby ,Ashman & Sheldon among the choice picks of many to have been recruited whilst we had that recruiting benefit

Having the Bendigo League as our recruiting zone made all the difference with champions like Southby ,Ashman & Sheldon among the choice picks of many to have been recruited whilst we had that recruiting benefit
And the rest - not forgetting that we could have had Diesel straight from the Bendigo league, and we did grab Keogh, Greg Kennedy, Des English (and before him his father Vin), Jimmy Buckley .. the list goes on.

I was actually at all of those eight premierships watching with my father who grew up across the street from Princes Park and attended Princes Hill Primary School....

My father even took me to the 1962 final series as a four-year-old boy and I saw the emergence under the Barrassi years... Where my blue boys suddenly became far more professional and recruited champion players like Jezza and Crosswell...

Whilst Robert walls and David McKay were developing through the reserves into great senior players...Nicholls & Silvagni were the supreme leaders that set the example through their deeds And inspirational words...

I was also at all eight flags.
Also first GF was 1962, but I was 9.

For the lucky blues fans here who remember being at the 1970 grand final or at home listening to the game on the radio; after being so far down at half time it must have been an indescribable feeling when we sealed the game after the goal from Jezza when the ball bounced twice before going through.

Even more than 50 years after the game, listening to the 3KZ audio of the last few minutes of the game (link on blueseum) gave me a huge buzz so I can imagine what it would have been like listening to it on the day.

For the lucky blues fans here who remember being at the 1970 grand final or at home listening to the game on the radio; after being so far down at half time it must have been an indescribable feeling when we sealed the game after the goal from Jezza when the ball bounced twice before going through.

Even more than 50 years after the game, listening to the 3KZ audio of the last few minutes of the game (link on blueseum) gave me a huge buzz so I can imagine what it would have been like listening to it on the day.

Was there 😉

Was there. It was unbelievable. I also have a vinyl copy of the 3KZ call (as well as the 1968 & 1972 calls)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back