Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought it was time to kick this baby back to life.

What is the first game you ever recall attending? I know for me I started going to the footy around 1978 or 1979. The first match I can still remember being at was the 1979 Grand Final. I know I went to other games prior but that match is the first one I vividly recall being at.

Let us know your earliest Carlton game memory to help pass the summer along!
The first Carlton game I attended... I'm pretty certain that it was at Lakeside. I got invited by a school friend's family to go along with them. It was when I was in grade 5 or 6 back in the 70's.

It's weird that I can't remember who we were playing against because I am pretty certain that it wasn't against South.

It wasn't this game by any chance? If it was, you would have seen one of the all time best goals at Princes Park

Think that was also the game Tony Evans may have decided to hit Greg Williams early and paid for it with a hiding on the scoreboard and a masterful display by the little champ Diesel.

I can't really remember much of my first AFL game, but I know it was against WCE at Princes Park. We drove the 4 hours to Melbourne for it and I was pretty excited.

My brother went for the Eagles at the time so Mama MEB jumped on their bandwagon to keep it even. I remember that we kicked the Eagles' arses so my brother had to deal with my gloating the 4 hours back to Wangaratta. I have a vague memory of having to stand on an esky or something so I could see? I guess we didn't have seats. It must have been around 1993 or 1994.
Who was driving MEB it shouldn't take 4 hours? Or did you guys stop at a few pubs on the way there & back to celebrate?

The first Carlton game I attended... I'm pretty certain that it was at Lakeside. I got invited by a school friend's family to go along with them. It was when I was in grade 5 or 6 back in the 70's.

It's weird that I can't remember who we were playing against because I am pretty certain that it wasn't against South.

If it wasn't against South then could it have been against the Royboys on the other side of the lake at the Junction Oval?

My first Carlton game was a spectacular one. 1976 at Princes Park v Richmond. 6 goals down at 1/4 time but after that thrashed them and won by 70 + points. Robert Walls kicked 10 goals.

If it wasn't against South then could it have been against the Royboys on the other side of the lake at the Junction Oval?

My first Carlton game was a spectacular one. 1976 at Princes Park v Richmond. 6 goals down at 1/4 time but after that thrashed them and won by 70 + points. Robert Walls kicked 10 goals.
Pretty certain that it was down at the city end... and there were more grandstands at the ground than at Junction Oval.

My first game was round 1 versus North at Arden Street. First game after winning 70GF and we lost. One disappointed 11year old. Went to a few more that year (good old suburban grounds) and got to a couple of the old style night games played in September by the teams who didn't make the four. Got into footy big time in 72 eventually getting to GF at 8am to take up my standing room position. I think the ticket cost less than $2?

I can't accurately pinpoint my 1st Blues game, but i reckon my 1st Blues thing i recall was Jim Canfield debuting for Carlton.

I was assured by either my old man or older brother, probably both, that only champions got the No1 guernsey at Princes Park.

The excitement in our house was palpable.

I can't accurately pinpoint my 1st Blues game, but i reckon my 1st Blues thing i recall was Jim Canfield debuting for Carlton.

I was assured by either my old man or older brother, probably both, that only champions got the No1 guernsey at Princes Park.

The excitement in our house was palpable.
I'm embarrassed to say I had to google him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he was playing for Perth football club at the time. Had a big argument with the coach which was mal brown at that time.

Thanks Rockwell and welcome aboard. Always great to see new faces in the Down Memory Lane thread!!

I have no doubt that your username is after the great 80's singer, from memory the hook was sung by the great MJ!!

Being from WA. Surely a reference to ore and oil exploration.

Sorry TL , Robbo is close . Rockwell is a type of hardness tester used for testing metal components .
Jezza and the buzz are the main reason I started following the blues.
My first blues game was a practice game against Claremont during the preseason about 1984( I can remember Robert Kloomp playing). First blues AFL game was about 1995 at Subiaco vs WCE . We won by less than a goal and the blues surporters sing and WCE surporters spitting it.
Talking about spitting I think this was the same game that Chris Lewis spat on Greg williams

First game I attended was Round 2, 1979. Blues beat Tigers by 51 points. Some great players running around for both teams that day but I do remember Mark Maclure stood out for me.

Also recall the banners and looking up at the sea of people in the upper tier in amazement. Truly got a sense of the MCG cauldron first time out.

First game I attended was Round 2, 1979. Blues beat Tigers by 51 points. Some great players running around for both teams that day but I do remember Mark Maclure stood out for me.

Also recall the banners and looking up at the sea of people in the upper tier in amazement. Truly got a sense of the MCG cauldron first time out.

Have you had a chance to get to the MCG since the latest redevelopment has been completed?
Pretty amazing in there now.

Have you had a chance to get to the MCG since the latest redevelopment has been completed?
Pretty amazing in there now.

Haven't been since 1980.

Not my first game but earliest memory was V St.Kilda at Moorabbin. I remember one of our supporters screaming out "Hey Cunningham...Whered' ya get ya haircut??? Pentridge Prison???" and running on to the ground after the win and jumping up to pat Dorotich on the shoulder and not realising how big he was until I got to him...

I thought DML deserved a reboot as we ponder future success.

A game that I fondly remember was Round 22 1971 at Princes Park between Carlton and Collingwood. Carlton would finish fifth after winning 14 games and drawing 1 in what was seen as an unsuccessful season. It was the last season involving a final four. Our season was derailed in the round 21 loss against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval. Yes folks the infamous fog match put an end to our season. I'm not sure how the fixture determined the Round 22 clash but it was certainly unusual to play Collingwood without a great deal hanging on the result.

I remember it because of its similarity to the 1970 Grand Final. At half time Collingwood led the game by 42 points. We played like a team disappointed at missing the Finals. This was Barassi's last game in charge of the Blues. He carried his hatred of Collingwood from Melbourne to Carlton so I could imagine the half time talk in the change rooms under the Heatley. Carlton's third quarter was solid rather than spectacular and reduced the margin to 18 points at orange time. My memory tells me that we were kicking to the scoreboard end in the last quarter. The late afternoon sun streamed across the ground and we might have had a wind advantage. An 8 goal last quarter made it a romp in the end and Carlton won by 19 points. Brent T. Crosswell starred kicking 5 goals. Not quite 100 games for Carlton but a sensational, athletic player. One of the best to wear the Navy Blue and should have been named in the Team of the Century. Perhaps his off field athleticism counted against him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back