Universal Love Down Memory Lane

I watched his entire career. He played plenty of ordinary games. You suggested people forget how many smothers he did, I agree. I was sitting behind his smother and GOTY at Waverley. I'm suggesting he played plenty of ordinary games too. Let's not rewrite history.

The Bunyip

Team Captain
Jan 23, 2012
Upper Kumbuckta West
AFL Club
Carlton
I watched his entire career. He played plenty of ordinary games. You suggested people forget how many smothers he did, I agree. I was sitting behind his smother and GOTY at Waverley. I'm suggesting he played plenty of ordinary games too. Let's not rewrite history.
Then it seems history will obviously remember him more fondly than you Thy!

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Probably none more so than the '81 GF when he had an absolute Barry Crocker.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Bosustow on Friday Front Bar tonight, showed plenty of his personal highlights as well as the GF wins he played in. Told a couple of interesting stories as well.

wow, That one about his WAFL club and Carlton squabbling over the $5,000 clearance fee difference is incredible and amazingly frustrating to learn about.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Speaking of the Buzz, the Spirit of Carlton group do a great job of bunching highlights together of ex-Carlton players on youtube to look at.
If you never knew, check them out. There are lots of them.
This one is of Bosustow last year with us in 1983. There are ones from 1982 and 81 if you look further.
What I remember about 1983 is we hit the back end of the home and away season with some great form knocking of Hawks and North that were some of flag fancies at that point after we had a pretty ordinary first part of season.
We knocked of North in last round in sensational match but the bad news if Bosustow was reported. I think we lost a few gun players that week, lost our form and went out first week of finals with Bosustow suspension keeping him out.

Never played again for us sadly even though he was hoping to during 1984.

Thankfully I probably saw 95% of his matches in person as a kid.
As a forward naturally sometimes it is starvation corner but on his day, just wow, he was great to watch.

I also was fortunate enough to grow up in that magnificent Carlton era. Born in 1971 my first GF I went to was 1979. I then managed to attend 1982, 1986, 1987, 1993, 1995 and 1999.

Bosustow was just pure excitement. Yes he had his share of poor games but when your saw the team in the Friday paper and the Buzz and Dominator were playing you generally knew it was going to be a good Saturday arvo.

The spectacular Bosustow we all remember, high marks and freakish goals. However the pressure heat he brought to the forward line for his day was second to none.

A real footballer and one that for the short time he was at Carlton made the most indelible impression you could ask for.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
wow, That one about his WAFL club and Carlton squabbling over the $5,000 clearance fee difference is incredible and amazingly frustrating to learn about.
Suggested he only found out the exact amount recently and had he known it was only 5K he would of paid it himself to return to Carlton.

As much as I loved watching Buzz I find it hard to believe that he only knew about the amount recently and he would of departed with some of his own to return.....

Surely the Lygon St crew could of mustered that in a day !!

Boy with chook

All Australian
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Something that used to happen a lot in the late 60s/early 70s was when Big Nick was resting in the forward line and was going for a mark with a heap of opposition defenders going up also, instead of trying to mark he would use his undoubted palming abilities to tap the ball to a waiting small who would more often than not goal. Loved it. Don't see enough of that these days.

Something that used to happen a lot in the late 60s/early 70s was when Big Nick was resting in the forward line and was going for a mark with a heap of opposition defenders going up also, instead of trying to mark he would use his undoubted palming abilities to tap the ball to a waiting small who would more often than not goal. Loved it. Don't see enough of that these days.
He was phenomonal. 6'1" and I've never seen any ruck better.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just saw this on youtube.

Not a whole lot of this game shown but enough to make me see how Docherty of todays team is to our backline now what Wayne Harmes was about this time in early 1980's. Was a dynamo taking intercept marks from backline and rebounding us forward. Docherty may not have the power of Harmesy but the intercept marking by Docherty is a hallmark of his stature in the game as a backman. Gee Harmes was a dynamo in this period for Carlton.

One thing to look out for here is the fun surprise of seeing Australian cricketer Simon O'Donnell starting on our full forward Ross Ditchburn early in the game. Number 22 for Saints. Ended up becoming a great one day cricketer allrounder for Australia and part of our 1987 World Cup one day side.

Other thing I noticed is Maclure contesting work as a marking forward so important to why we were a premiership outfit in this period despite having a team full of smaller players. He created the pathway for so many crumbs for our little guns to create havoc and goals on the run. Ditchburn was against the trend of our sides in this era to actually be a genuine full forward we aimed for. Kick 12 in this game. Funny to watch pure full forwards like Ditchburn have a no fuss kicking technique for goal that so many like Casboult, Trav Cloke and other find so easy to stuff up with way they drop the ball or lean back from kicking the ball. Even Fitpatrick that was a ruckman resting forward early in game shows the correct technique to kick for goal.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Those guys ringing the bell at the footy are bringing back plenty of memories. Today's choice Trevor Keogh was a sensational player. I have not seen any better than Trevor and his dancing feet. Never fazed by a tight situation he just danced his way out of the clutches of the opposition.

Those guys ringing the bell at the footy are bringing back plenty of memories. Today's choice Trevor Keogh was a sensational player. I have not seen any better than Trevor and his dancing feet. Never fazed by a tight situation he just danced his way out of the clutches of the opposition.
Aside from Mal Brown anyway.

We all get caught up in our day to day vacuum and I am no different. I have been in my current role now for over 3 years and only realised the other day I am a 10 minute walk from Victoria Park. Yesterday TL15 ventured down there to have a look and reminisce.

My father was a one eyed Carlton supporter, when asked if he had a second team he would nominate the Carlton reserves. We lived in the Collingwood area so when it was time for my Little League (Auskick) team to play we had to represent the Pies and he was horrified...I was just excited. As an aside we were the first ever little League team to have a girl play in our team, rare and unheard of for the early 80's. My uncle was a mad Collingwood supporter and he and Dad had a good relationship and enjoyed each others company with no shortage of stirring, it is amazing what the years and alcohol can do to families and they no longer see each other. On that particular day, given they had reserved seats each week in the Sherrin Stand they did what many would do back in those days and 'snuck' my Mum and Dad into the stand with them. Unheard of and impossible now with bar codes but back in those days a row of 15 seats would often cater for 20!

I recall being in the rooms before the game and seeing the enemy. Mark Williams and Peter Daicos were two that I recall, Choco Williams mainly because of the huge fart he dropped whilst getting a rub down. My Dad had given me strict instructions when we had to do the guard of honour when they came back out after halftime to not clap them...we were advised if you didn't clap you would not play again so I applauded!

We had a strong side and I spent the first half on the bench. I came on in the second half and played at half back, the ball rarely came down but I did get one kick and I was happy! After the game was Four n Twenty Pies and Big M's...it is strange what you still can recall vividly after 35 years. I found out later that my Dad having sat through a half in the Collingwood members stand stood up after the Little League and loudly told my Uncle that Collingwood are all scum and they can stick the second half up their jatzy's. It caused a minor stir but he made it out safely.

I have many other memories of games at Victoira Park, both good and bad experiences from a Carlton perspective.

It was weird going back there yesterday, so much has changed but so much is the same. I could still see the silhouette of Daicos slotting goals from the social club pocket, Rene Kink bustling his way through the middle, Billy Picken taking a spekkie and Ricky Barham bolting down the outer wing.

The ground and memories still remain but the football world has very much moved on!

Blueboy75

All Australian
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah of course so many to mention, one I'll name was the 87 granny especially after we played in the 86 to the Hawks that was truly special no doubt;).

Back