Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

:blueheart::blueheart::blueheart: was there!

Unseen images of '87 GF surface

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-16/unseen-images-of-87-gf-surface

Sticks87GFPic.jpg

Dominator1987GFPic.jpg

FraserMurphyPic.jpg

DeanDermiePic.jpg

Houligate has provided me with another reason to walk down memory lane.

The Richmond/Carlton rivalry stretches back to the 1967 Second Semi Final and it started off on the wrong foot. The two teams had been struggling for a number of years and were experiencing premiership droughts. Carlton had not won a flag since 1947 and Richmond's last win was in 1943. Richmond defeated Carlton comfortably in this play off for the ground final and a fortnight later won the GF by defeating Geelong. The Richmond ruckman, Neville Crowe was a stalwart who had played through the tough times. He was missing on GF day because he been suspended for striking John Nicholls. As a result he missed his only opportunity to be a premiership player. The Tigers accused Big Nick of doing a 'Clayton Oliver' which resulted in Crowe's suspension. My recollection is that Crowe slapped Nicholls and he played it up for a free kick. Tommy Hafey, 4 decades later, was still using it as a primary reason for the rivalry (and dislike) between the two teams.

The 1973 GF was the pinnacle (nadir?) of this rivalry. Carlton players hit the deck regularly in the first half without report. Geoff Southby was a sensational player but Balme's hit reduced him to a mere mortal rather than the player he was destined to become before that hit. Big Nick crashed to the earth concussed courtesy of a Fowler shirtfront and Swan McKay had his jaw broken as well. The amazing fact is that neither Balme nor Fowler were reported for their blatant actions. Ian Robinson was the umpire on that day and I think he deliberately ignored the carnage.

In 1974 Carlton and Richmond were involved in another clash filled with controversy. It was a round 3 game played at Princes Park and the Tigers won the game easily. It was a torrid affair and a couple of Richmond legends were reported. Royce Hart copped a two week suspension for striking Vin Waite (no doubt provocation). The other report was Francis Bourke for kicking Robert Walls. The incident occurred at the Heatley Stand end of the ground. Kicking an opponent was, and still is, the worst action one can engage in while playing footy. The frenzy it created before the Tribunal hearing was unprecedented. I have no doubt that Bourke kicked at Walls on that day. I was in the Heatley Stand and the action was about 30 metres away. Walls was on all fours and Bourke kicked back like a shitty workhorse. St Francis turned up to the hearing looking like a victim. I'm St Francis, one of the fairest players of all time and I didn't kick Robert Walls. Houlilike, Bourke turned up with character witnesses including a catholic priest. He got off because of his reputation much like Houli's hit entitled him to special treatment in terms of the length of sentence.

So fast forward to last Sunday and history repeats itself. **** I hate Richmond. ******* campaigners.

You forgot to add the great day Robert Walls kicked 10 straight against Richmond at PP in 1975 or 1976.... Packed house, and we absolutely flogged them. His last goal was a banana kick from the boundary in front of the Social Club. The roar was incredible. Back in the 70's umpires let players settle scores on the field and often turned a blind eye. Considering the best full back in the competition, C/H/B and Captain Coach had no idea where they were, we actually did ok in the GF.

What always irked Hafey and the Richmond scum was that they kicked 22 goals in a Grand Final, and were still smashed. The 1972 GF was an incredible game. It just rained goals. Anyway we got our revenge in 1982, when Richmond were hot favourites to win the flag. Not only did they lose the GF, they ended up imploding for the next 17 years. Loved it when Wallsey coached Richmond. Their supporters hated irrespective of the result. It would be the same if Sheedy ever coached Carlton. Just couldn't handle it. It was bad enough that we had to put up with MM for 2 and a bit years.

You forgot to add the great day Robert Walls kicked 10 straight against Richmond at PP in 1975 or 1976.... Packed house, and we absolutely flogged them. His last goal was a banana kick from the boundary in front of the Social Club. The roar was incredible. Back in the 70's umpires let players settle scores on the field and often turned a blind eye. Considering the best full back in the competition, C/H/B and Captain Coach had no idea where they were, we actually did ok in the GF.

What always irked Hafey and the Richmond scum was that they kicked 22 goals in a Grand Final, and were still smashed. The 1972 GF was an incredible game. It just rained goals. Anyway we got our revenge in 1982, when Richmond were hot favourites to win the flag. Not only did they lose the GF, they ended up imploding for the next 17 years. Loved it when Wallsey coached Richmond. Their supporters hated irrespective of the result. It would be the same if Sheedy ever coached Carlton. Just couldn't handle it. It was bad enough that we had to put up with MM for 2 and a bit years.
Yeah that 72 premiership was one to behold. Jezza 7 Wallsy 6 Big Nick 6 and big Percy played in the ruck the whole game. I don't think we had beat Richmond for 5 or 6 years.

:blueheart::blueheart::blueheart: was there!

Unseen images of '87 GF surface
Dominator1987GFPic.jpg

Was not there.:(
But boy does this black and white image give a good sense of the heat on that grand final day.
Look of joy on players faces and look of in the zone for the big day from the Dominator is priceless.
Hope they all having a great time right now. Behave yourself Doro....

Thing I liked about 1987 was the instant atonement we got for failing in 1986. I went to both games and it was weird feeling the euphoria of 1987 against the same opponents 12 months later. Very rare that happens and I am thankful I was able to be there for that moment. The horror of 86 complete with Doull getting towelled by Dunstall and that haunting memory of him walking up the race for the final time were quickly erased in 87!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone interested I am just watching the Fiji Open and Young Aussie golfer James Marchesani is coming equal 6th. Pretty sure James is the son of Frank Marchesani.
probably has a 25 handicap too

Last edited:
He finished tied for 2nd place so a good effort from a young golfer just starting out in his professional career.

I played that course when in Fiji a few years back, has some absolutely ripper holes...problem was I had as many beers as I played holes, the carona beer buckets were wicked value!!!

Round 9 1982. Carlton playing Swans at PP kicked 12.5.77 in the first quarter.
Round 7 1983. Carlton playing Swans at SCG kicked 13.4.82 in the second quarter.

It takes us four quarters these days!
Was there at princess park that day was awesome. Ahh the good old days when we could turn it on for one quarter and win the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back