Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Discussion in 'Carlton' started by Aphrodite, Oct 12, 2013.

Put it out there
  1. Blues177

Blues177 All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Condolences on the passing of your sister, Robbo.

Thanks for sharing those wonderful and emotional moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Arr0w

Arr0w Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Still have vivid memories of those days, as a kid, heading down to the ground with a couple of mates. By half time in the reserves, had collected enough empty steel beer cans (12, none of which I had consumed), to get a better view for the rest of the day. Later on in life, still only 17, only ones that would beat us to the boundary seats on the outer wing were the same elderly ladies each home game (always had great homemade cakes & biscuits) Great memories, enhanced by how dominate we were in the late 70's, early 80's

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. RobR

RobR Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Was my science teacher at Princess Hill High.

Robbo's my hero and Tony Lynn 15 like this.
  4. RobR

RobR Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Yep.

Robbo's my hero and Tony Lynn 15 like this.
  5. Robbo's my hero

Robbo's my hero Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Sunderland
    IMG_0757.JPG
    I'm sure my late mother wouldn't mind me posting this photo of her with the 1964 Brownlow Medal winner Gordon Collis. I'm not sure of the circumstances but I'll hazard a guess regarding the occasion. I can definitely rule out the Brownlow dinner at the Crown Palladium. I'm just as certain that this is not a Best Fairest night.

I'd say this is the annual Carlton Supporters Club dinner dance.

My mum and many other die hard supporters were members of this club. It was a group which would volunteer its services for many events that the club ran through the year. I was never a member of this group but I would accompany mum on occasions. My favourite occasions were in September when we would get access to the change rooms which we would transform into a sea of navy blue and white. This wasn't a problem at VFL Park but the MCG presented problems. How do we hide that terrible tiger skin hanging up on the wall?

The Supporters Club raised funds through running raffles during the season. This money was then used to pay for the dinner dance. Ordinary folk paid for their tickets but the players were invited to attend without cost. Trophies would be awarded for best players, most improved, best clubman and best first year player. I understand, in its day, it was an important date on the club calendar.

The AFLs ground rationalisation killed the football community.

Little known facts.

Gordon Collis had a toe amputated which effected his footy career (urban myth?)

An inebriated Jimmy Buckley (drinks were free) had a heart to heart with mum about not winning a trophy one year.

MEB_, Aphrodite, BlueGum and 9 others like this.
  6. blueboy25

blueboy25 Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    West Perth, Tottenham
    With Carlton playing there last game at Subiaco Oval as the WA teams move to the new stadium at Burswood I thought I would post some memories of games I went to featuring the Blues playing in the west.

Round 4 1990 Carlton v West Coast at the WACA
    I was 11 years old and we lost by 50 points, it was a sign of things to come for the Eagles as the built in to the powerhouse team of the 90's. I remember getting upset and maybe having a tear in the eye because we were losing. For some reason one of the players I remember was Jamie Dunlop.

Round 13 1995 Carlton V Fremantle at Subiaco
    First game ever against the Dockers and we belted them. I remember this one as I played in the curtain raiser in a GF for the Perth metro schools comp.

Round 21 1995 Carlton v West Coast at Subiaco
    Blues won a thriller by a point and Earl Spalding put Guy McKenna into next, I can still remember the sound of that hit.

Round 3 1996 Carlton v Fremantle
    The first loss in over 20 games after our triumphant 1995 premiership winning season and we got belted.

Round 4 2007 Carlton v West Coast
    Eagles were reigning premiers and flying and I remember the first centre bounce of the game and they had Cox, Cousins, Kerr and Judd lining up against Cain Ackland, Murphy, Jordan Russell and Gibbsy.

Round 7 2008 West Coast v Carlton at Subiaco
    Judd's return to Subi for the first time in navy blue.

2011 Semi final West Coast v Carlton at Subiaco
    We were off to a flyer kicking the first 3 or 4 goals and Bret Thornton of all people playing well up forward until he got injured and the Walker non free kick in the dying seconds which saw us go down by under a kick.

7. Aphrodite

Aphrodite Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    "Goddess"
  8. Robbo's my hero

Robbo's my hero Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Sunderland
  9. Moody Blue

Moody Blue Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    You forgot to add the great day Robert Walls kicked 10 straight against Richmond at PP in 1975 or 1976.... Packed house, and we absolutely flogged them. His last goal was a banana kick from the boundary in front of the Social Club. The roar was incredible. Back in the 70's umpires let players settle scores on the field and often turned a blind eye. Considering the best full back in the competition, C/H/B and Captain Coach had no idea where they were, we actually did ok in the GF.

What always irked Hafey and the Richmond scum was that they kicked 22 goals in a Grand Final, and were still smashed. The 1972 GF was an incredible game. It just rained goals. Anyway we got our revenge in 1982, when Richmond were hot favourites to win the flag. Not only did they lose the GF, they ended up imploding for the next 17 years. Loved it when Wallsey coached Richmond. Their supporters hated irrespective of the result. It would be the same if Sheedy ever coached Carlton. Just couldn't handle it. It was bad enough that we had to put up with MM for 2 and a bit years.

10. RobR

RobR Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Yeah that 72 premiership was one to behold. Jezza 7 Wallsy 6 Big Nick 6 and big Percy played in the ruck the whole game. I don't think we had beat Richmond for 5 or 6 years.

11. thylacine60

thylacine60 TheBrownDog

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Insert Token EPL Club
    and my dad in the corner hotel having a beer for every goal we kicked..........:eek::eek::eek:......I miss him........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Stig O'Hara

Stig O'Hara Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Carlton
    It's our thing, man.

We been there.

Our thing.

RobR and thylacine60 like this.
  13. HBF

HBF Flying Scotsman

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Had a chance to go to the 87 GF, but i could only get a single ticket. Wish I had've taken it now. Was so hot that day.

footyfan78 and thylacine60 like this.
  14. thylacine60

thylacine60 TheBrownDog

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Insert Token EPL Club
    Cheers, Dermie.

15. FRUMPY

FRUMPY Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    How good is it we had both the senior and reserves reunion for 1987. That is what footy clubs are about. Thats awesome. Great to see some of the players i loved as a kid growing up - bradley, alvin, gleeson, dominator etc. Just awesome

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

16. footyfan78

footyfan78 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    there are no other teams worthy
    [​IMG]

Was not there.:(
    But boy does this black and white image give a good sense of the heat on that grand final day.
    Look of joy on players faces and look of in the zone for the big day from the Dominator is priceless.
    Hope they all having a great time right now. Behave yourself Doro....

17. Tony Lynn 15

Tony Lynn 15 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Thing I liked about 1987 was the instant atonement we got for failing in 1986. I went to both games and it was weird feeling the euphoria of 1987 against the same opponents 12 months later. Very rare that happens and I am thankful I was able to be there for that moment. The horror of 86 complete with Doull getting towelled by Dunstall and that haunting memory of him walking up the race for the final time were quickly erased in 87!

Robbo's my hero likes this.
  18. Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Sometimes in the quieter moments of life I like to reflect on that time that we broke a 14 game losing streak against Hawthorn. Seems like it was only yesterday.

19. teagueyubeauty

teagueyubeauty Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Yankees
  20. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    For anyone interested I am just watching the Fiji Open and Young Aussie golfer James Marchesani is coming equal 6th. Pretty sure James is the son of Frank Marchesani.

BlueGum likes this.
  21. mediumsizered

mediumsizered Premium Platinum

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Follows the club on Twitter so there is every chance there is some relationship there.

22. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I am certain it is his son, he ended finishing tied for 2nd.

23. footyfan78

footyfan78 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    there are no other teams worthy
    Lions going for 10 wins in a row meet us at Waverley, 59K there to see it.

Boy with chook likes this.
  24. thylacine60

thylacine60 TheBrownDog

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Insert Token EPL Club
    probably has a 25 handicap too

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  25. Tony Lynn 15

Carlton
    Other teams:
    He finished tied for 2nd place so a good effort from a young golfer just starting out in his professional career.