Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange year.
Who was the coach then ?
Ian Thorogood
So was there some guy Donaldson and Nicholls a bit earlier?
Sounds like we changed coaches super regularly in mid and late 70's.

What did Thorogood do to be a coach of an elite football team ?
Graham Donaldson was an Assistant Coach who, from memory, filled in on the odd occasion for Barassi & Nicholls.

Thorogood seemed to be a very likable chap, but I'm not sure why he got the gig at Carlton. Ultimately he only coached for 2 years - 1976 & 1977.

Thanks mate, appreciate the follow up and missed reading it until today.

Wow, thanks for filling in what went on before I started following us in 1978.
Super read mate!! Super!!!

Damn you B177, until reading your post, above, I’ve been comfortable in my own view that nothing good has ever come out the Richmond footy club. Must now admit I was wrong; Jack Dyer was beyond merely good, he was an absolute legend.
Billy Barrot as well. I loved Billy and was rapt when he played a season at Carlton. I could have easily named myself Bill’s my hero.

Thanks mate, appreciate the follow up and missed reading it until today.

Wow, thanks for filling in what went on before I started following us in 1978.
Super read mate!! Super!!!
Thanks.

BTW, when I started following Carlton mildly in 1962,Graham Donaldson was the captain. Good player. When I became a real supporter, Silvagni was captain. I'll put up a post about that too.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I don’t remember him Robbo, he may have been before my time, but I’ll take your word for it. He must have been a special player and person.

The story goes he sooked it up when Barassi had a go at him one evening. Got in his car, drove home and never come back...lol

I don’t remember him Robbo, he may have been before my time, but I’ll take your word for it. He must have been a special player and person.
Seen him kick 6 playing centre for us one day.

View attachment 779280

If anyone knows these guys who were famous for a few years in the crowd we would love to get in contact with them. DM us or send an email to admin@blueseum.org
Haha I always remember seeing them in the crowd after a goal at Princes Park.

What was the meaning behind it?

PP was the first ground I went to an AFL game in Melbourne so holds great memories for me.

(Saw Carl v Haw rd2 1992 SOS kicked 8)

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haha I always remember seeing them in the crowd after a goal at Princes Park.

What was the meaning behind it?

PP was the first ground I went to an AFL game in Melbourne so holds great memories for me.

(Saw Carl v Haw rd2 1992 SOS kicked 8)

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't know how he wasn't full forward of the century.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn you B177, until reading your post, above, I’ve been comfortable in my own view that nothing good has ever come out the Richmond footy club. Must now admit I was wrong; Jack Dyer was beyond merely good, he was an absolute legend.

Yep. First time I became aware of Jack Dyer was when I first started listening to the footy on the radio when I was a kid in the 1970's.

The 1972 grand final coverage from 3KZ in that Blueseum link, especially the coverage early in the last quarter when the tigers staged a mini comeback, captured the aura of that era and reminded me of how good Ian Major and Jack Dyer were.

Loved the banter between Lou Richards and Jack on channel 7 too.

One of my favourite memories is when we beat Essendon at Windy Hill for the last time. Awsome game listening on the radio as we ran over the top of them in the end.

I remember that was in 1990. That season was one of the most frustrating seasons that I remember.

We started 1989 poorly and improved in the second half of the year when Jezza came back and replaced Walls as coach. I was away on a holiday in July and visiting relatives in Cyprus when my dad was calling me most weeks to tell me that Carlton was starting to win games again.

We expected to rebound to finals in 1990 but ended up having a very inconsistent season. We beat Essendon (who finished on top) twice, thrashed Hawthorn at Waverley, had a big comeback win against the Cats, beat Footscray at the Western Oval (always a dangerous venue).... but lost to lowly teams such as Richmond, 2nd bottom Sydney (annihilated us), Fitzroy and Footscray had a rare Princes Park win against us. Sad ending, missed the finals and Jezza was sacked.

I remember that was in 1990. That season was one of the most frustrating seasons that I remember.

We started 1989 poorly and improved in the second half of the year when Jezza came back and replaced Walls as coach. I was away on a holiday in July and visiting relatives in Cyprus when my dad was calling me most weeks to tell me that Carlton was starting to win games again.

We expected to rebound to finals in 1990 but ended up having a very inconsistent season. We beat Essendon (who finished on top) twice, thrashed Hawthorn at Waverley, had a big comeback win against the Cats, beat Footscray at the Western Oval (always a dangerous venue).... but lost to lowly teams such as Richmond, 2nd bottom Sydney (annihilated us), Fitzroy and Footscray had a rare Princes Park win against us. Sad ending, missed the finals and Jezza was sacked.
Remember it well and remember beating Essendon at Princes Park later that season. I think Mark Majzazek took a screamer in the goal square.

Yep. First time I became aware of Jack Dyer was when I first started listening to the footy on the radio when I was a kid in the 1970's.

The 1972 grand final coverage from 3KZ in that Blueseum link, especially the coverage early in the last quarter when the tigers staged a mini comeback, captured the aura of that era and reminded me of how good Ian Major and Jack Dyer were.

Loved the banter between Lou Richards and Jack on channel 7 too.
I became aware of him from around early to mid 80’s in the same way.

The story goes he sooked it up when Barassi had a go at him one evening. Got in his car, drove home and never come back...lol
Ronald Dale’s bakes were legendary so it doesn’t surprise me. Barass was a very angry man before middle age mellowed him.

Urban myth or fact?

1969. Carlton is behind at half time but produces a premiership quarter to hit the lead at orange time. Barass berates the players at the break and Richmond wins the flag.

1970. Carlton is 44 pts down at half time and Ron has learned his lesson from the previous year. Instead of a classic blast from the coach he talks about “Handball, handball, handball...” It works a treat and we win the flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back