Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe, I think we had more than just Dominator out in the 82 Second Semi. Think there was 2 or 3 important engine room players missing which meant the small man supremacy was not able to be enforced on another top team of the time for that match up. We could have played North in prelim final rather than Hawks if North beat Hawks and I think North still had dangerous team around then and not to be taken lightly.
Buzz missed with a one week suspension.
You're right, the whole order of things might have changed, but I reckon our heads weren't "in it" because of the Johnston implications.

Ditchburn had been gone for 4 years by then. He played in 82 GF.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yeah I know. Brown was '79, Howell was '81.
Was more a general comment about talls who were lucky to play in flags due to fortunate circumstances. Bortolotto was another.
We seemed to have one in every flag from '79 to '87.
My opinion would be that we had Brown '79 (Hardly played that year, McConville was full forward, then went back late in the season).
Howell came in for '81 due to Southby injury. Bortolotto had hardly played that year either.
Bortolotto got a second flag in '82 due to Southby breaking down again in the finals.
Mckenzie was probably the beneficiary of Sartori's injury in '87.
I shouldn't have included Ditchburn in this category, as the spot was rightfully his, and it was only injury that meant he hardly contributed on the day.
Would love to see Levi be the next "lucky" tall to play in a premiership!

I shouldn't have included Ditchburn in this category, as the spot was rightfully his, and it was only injury that meant he hardly contributed on the day.
Glad you corrected.
For some reason my mind always remember Ditchburn was on 61 goals from 12 games at one stage during the season, so he more than deserved his spot. Unlucky to get a head knock in the opening minutes.

Walls mentioned that all 4 selection committee members did not want Rhys-Jones to play on Brereton in the 87 grand final but Walls stuck to his guns throughout grand final week. He was also questioned about the proposed move by big Jack during the week.
Walls also believes that if the plan backfired he would have been sacked.
The '87 grand final was special for me as it was the first grand final I attended so i was delighted that it resulted in a Carlton premiership.
When I turned up to the ground it felt like a summer day with the heat. 31 celsius. Different to our other recent premierships of 72/79/81/82/95 that were played in overcast or wet conditions. 1979 was 4 seasons in a day and when it pelted down with rain that morning I was feeling nervous about how our young mosquito fleet would handle the wet ground. The '78-82 teams proved we could win in any conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found a few old jumpers in the drawer. I must have had about 50 over the years.

The third one in the middle row is Michael Sexton’s from 1996, and there are a couple of other player issue ones from when the Club shop sold them off at the end of 1997 because we were switching to Nike. One is Tony Bourke’s and the other is Julian Kirzner’s.

8B141306-4E40-47AE-B980-BDD16A497968.jpeg

4D85C56B-219C-49C1-8BB6-6D41BD6246F0.jpeg
Another stroll. I think this is probably Round 2 1973. The flag unfurls and we celebrate the 1972 victory. Barass clearly didn’t like losing that day. In the return match at Arden Street, North literally belted the Blues. Crozza ended up in hospital. Wallsy carried off on a stretcher. It was the day that spawned the Fowler and Balme ‘efforts’ in the 1973 GF.

View attachment 787682
Big Nick running into the ‘G in the 1973 GF (I think). Possibly 1972. How ripped is Big Nick? My mum use to get the best tix for the games. Close to the teams races.

Once saw a similar photo in the paper or a website. Found it. Did the photo below capture you taking the photo that you posted? Running behind big Nick is Walls, Robertson?, Dickson and Hurst. Its 1972 because Hurst & Robertson did not play in the 73GF.

1575270786415.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back