Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

just read the curtin forward who played for fitzroy during the war years kicking 50 goals 4 times and missing their 44 flag through military duty was related to the curtin pm and was the grand-father of john barker.........
PM Curtin played for Northcote in the VFA, if I remember rightly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 95 Grannie was on foxtel other day,

Forgot how bad we pumped those pussies that day, remember Diesel getting the Norm but had forgotten how
good Peter Dean was that day...... What a ripper.

Struck me how many tough nuts we had then, Dean, Fraser Brown, "Special Fried" Rice, Ratts, Big Earl , SOS,
Sticks and of course Diesel. Andrew Mackay, all hard as a cats heads.

We need more of this NOW!!!

Last edited:
The 95 Grannie was on foxtel other day,

Forgot how bad we pumped those pussies that day, remember Diesel getting the Norm but had forgotten how
good Peter Dean was that day...... What a ripper.

Struck me how many tough nuts we had then, Dean, Fraser Brown, "Special Fried" Rice, Ratts, Big Earl , SOS,
Sticks and of course Diesel. Andrew Mackay, all hard as a cats heads.

We need more of this NOW!!!

I had a mate at the time who was a Collingwood fan. He hated Peter Dean. Swore that the arm guard he wore was made of cast iron so that he could iron out the opposition 🤣

I had a mate at the time who was a Collingwood fan. He hated Peter Dean. Swore that the arm guard he wore was made of cast iron so that he could iron out the opposition 🤣
Sounds a bit like the "Ace" cowboy Bob Orton. had to wrestle with a cast on to protect a broken arm (which he conveniently used to knock opponents "senseless") for many many years. Also father of Randy Orton.

I dont know why but Ive always been happy that Matt Clape' won a flag with you guys.

He missed out with us in 92 and I remember him being a handy player at the time.

Kicked 31.11 in 95. Including 7 v Adel and 2 bags of 5 v the Lions.

Clape, Pearce, Sticks and duke of Earl was very potent when you add all the smalls too.

Peter Bosustow last game for Carlton was end of an era in round 21 of 1983. We probably should have won the flag that year but mid season slump and a few suspensions straight after this game meant it never happened in very even season for top five sides. We played North this day that were top of ladder and had done us by 111 points earlier in season at height of our slump. I remember going to this game and it being the last game we played with the brilliance I saw from time Jezza took over to this very round. We were a different team in 1984 and 85 in Parkin last two years with a few players retired and the Buzz gone.
But this last game of Bosustow that old Carlton magic of this early 80's team was on show in this second half. Seven's Big League for that night I found on youtube...

Thanks for posting this. I genuinely thought most home and away footage from this era was lost.

Thoughts and comments:

How the game should be played......

Love Bosustow's marking style - flying high, turning his body to take a big chest mark in a pack.
What is he wearing on his head?

Southby, what a colossus!

Southby and Doull vs Glendinning and Dench. Great matchup of two of the best defensive pairings the game has ever seen! Forwards from both teams are virtual unknowns in comparison, except McCann for NM. Was Carlton's two Ditchburn and Buckley? I don't recall Buckley at all. Hunter and Bosustow were legends of course but I assume Hunter was playing a hff and Bosustow in a forward pocket?

Shame the ads were cut out, I loved the snippet of the Holden Gemini ad.

Peter Landy, in the 3rd quarter taking the responsibility to report the dodgy water bottle guy fake runner to the umpires boss. Lou Richards gently reminding us of that in the last quarter was hilarious

Ashman making probably the only mistake of his entire career spilling a mark on the line spoiling a sensational running shot on goal from Sheldon, only to bury Krakouer in a fantastic chase down tackle, for a turnover and goal to Carlton. Don't think Krakouer was tackled in his entire career so was a great effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back