Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Mike D

Senior List
Mar 5, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Love Bosustow's marking style - flying high, turning his body to take a big chest mark in a pack.
What is he wearing on his head?

It was a head guard, the likes of which I've never seen again. Easily removed, it did not cover his head, just the cranial circumference

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
How good was Drew Morphett?

Wish there where commentators like him these days, rather than the clowns on 7.
Great guy. Miss types like him. The interesting thing is he did not grow up on Aussie rules footy so he picked it up very well for someone from New South Wales.
Tim Lane and Drew Morphett were gems. Sad that Drew life cut short. I do not think we get many commentators like these guys anymore. Different breed now, We get dipshits with egos now, that believe they themselves are as big as the game or sport itself.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Great guy. Miss types like him. The interesting thing is he did not grow up on Aussie rules footy so he picked it up very well for someone from New South Wales.
Tim Lane and Drew Morphett were gems. Sad that Drew life cut short. I do not think we get many commentators like these guys anymore. Different breed now, We get dipshits with egos now, that believe they themselves are as big as the game or sport itself.
Exactly. And I dislike it.

Have just finished watching the 2001 EF vs Adelaide. Many remember this game for one of Kouta's best, but just wanted to give a shout out to Campo. He probably got a bit lost with the players he had around him, but he was a seriously good player. Not afraid to get his own footy, good on the outside and could kick a goal.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just noticed the Easter Weekend clash of Carlton play Adelaide at Football Park for first time is on youtube.
Do not think seen any of it since I went that weekend.
Bookmarked to watch sometime in next 24 hours and share the youtube location here.
First few minutes of video there does not seem to be audio but seems like it comes in before match starts.

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Just noticed the Easter Weekend clash of Carlton play Adelaide at Football Park for first time is on youtube.
Do not think seen any of it since I went that weekend.
Bookmarked to watch sometime in next 24 hours and share the youtube location here.
First few minutes of video there does not seem to be audio but seems like it comes in before match starts.

I remember the week before Adelaide in their first ever AFL game destroyed eventual premier Hawthorn. This win by us was a nice surprise.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just watched this video on youtube of our game up at SCG in 1985 season.
Couple of interesting things I noticed towards end of video mentioned by commentators and then looked up stats to check up on
As it turns a skinny teenage Stephen Silvagni is making his debut in this game. So did Darren Ogier but only found that out when looked at stats of the game and never see him in the highlights. Young Silvagni seemed to be on Capper this day. Capper only ends with one goal and can see the desperation and class of young SOS even in game one in defence. Looking at stats I see Ogier only had one kick on debut and one free. The other thing I noticed was never saw Des English in the hlghlights and going by the stats it makes me thing he got injured early in game and took no further part. So for most of the game I assume after looking at stats that English and Ogier took very little part and we on the bench. Ogier probably started there and English I guess got injured and out of the game. There is only two on bench in 1985 so of course virtually no rotations. The 18 on field have to play the game out to end and the thought of rotating players is not even a thing.
Enjoy a bit of highlights of skinny SOS on debut, Never knew this existed until 20 minutes back.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Just watched this video on youtube of our game up at SCG in 1985 season.
Couple of interesting things I noticed towards end of video mentioned by commentators and then looked up stats to check up on
As it turns a skinny teenage Stephen Silvagni is making his debut in this game. So did Darren Ogier but only found that out when looked at stats of the game and never see him in the highlights. Young Silvagni seemed to be on Capper this day. Capper only ends with one goal and can see the desperation and class of young SOS even in game one in defence. Looking at stats I see Ogier only had one kick on debut and one free. The other thing I noticed was never saw Des English in the hlghlights and going by the stats it makes me thing he got injured early in game and took no further part. So for most of the game I assume after looking at stats that English and Ogier took very little part and we on the bench. Ogier probably started there and English I guess got injured and out of the game. There is only two on bench in 1985 so of course virtually no rotations. The 18 on field have to play the game out to end and the thought of rotating players is not even a thing.
Enjoy a bit of highlights of skinny SOS on debut, Never knew this existed until 20 minutes back.

Hey Jack. Watch this. Full back of the century from day 1. And you wonder why I can’t crack a smile because you kick a couple - Daddy Steve.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hey Jack. Watch this. Full back of the century from day 1. And you wonder why I can’t crack a smile because you kick a couple - Daddy Steve.
Jack will reply. who gives a s**t about full back of the century. I will go down in history as first player to be subbed out by medical doctor.
I was the first, so there Dad.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Jack will reply. who gives a sh*t about full back of the century. I will go down in history as first player to be subbed out by medical doctor.
I was the first, so there Dad.
And Dad will turn and walk out of the room only to be tersely rebuffed by Jo including a swift crack on the shoulder.

15 metre penalty ... awwwwww....

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Another game from 1985 with highlights shows up.
Our game that season down in Geelong and looks like no Dominator, Doull or Jimmy Buckley playing. Had to be all injured. Also no Perovic, but maybe he had retired before that season.

Back