HigginsHawk

All Australian
Jun 10, 2005
Kippax
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Belconnen/Nth Hobart
There have been a few whispers (Andy Copping's twitter hints) that Download might fill the gap left by Soundwave. Based on the line up for this year and assuming we might hold it around a similar time of the year (say between May and August), would you go and where should it be held?

With the venue I would think you would need capacity of about 100,000 and a mix of accommodation available including camping given it is over 3 days. There may only be one festival (like Donnington) so you may have to travel. Weather should be an issue as well given the time of the year. As much as I would love it in the ACT region, it's too cold here at that time of the year. Possibly the same problem with Melbourne/Victoria. Leaves Sydney or SE qld.

Rule number 1 for Download Australia to be successful:

1. Place a restraining order on AJ Maddah so he is unable to attend, communicate or have any contact with the festival organisers, management or talent.

The further that ******** is kept from Australian music festivals the better.

Five years ago Soundwave looked like the best and most successful festival in the country, bar Splendour. I hate the music it pulls but even I know the names of the bands playing. And the crowds were always really excitable and large, plus loyal and consistent to the name, in every city.

So its officially coming to Melbourne.
Korn
Limp Bizkit
Prophets of Rage
Good Charlotte

Pretty cool line up if you were a teenager in the late 90's early 00's

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rule number 1 for Download Australia to be successful:

1. Place a restraining order on AJ Maddah so he is unable to attend, communicate or have any contact with the festival organisers, management or talent.

The further that ******** is kept from Australian music festivals the better.

What a despicable piece of s**t that fat campaigner has proven himself to be.

It’s a pretty ordinary lineup, considering the swagger that Download carries in Europe and the hype around this announcement.

We get lumped with ******* Korn and Limp Bizkit.....how the * Good Charlotte were even considered is amazing....Meanwhile Spain get Ozzy, Judas Priest and Clutch amongst others....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not that pumped about this but it should be a good day. Most of my bands are on early, King Parrot, Psycroptic, Mastodon, Gojira and basically I'm done with ST. Will prob watch a bit of Korn/LP just because and maybe check out Arch Enemy but not too fussed really. Still should be a good day for a beer and some metal!

So its officially coming to Melbourne.
Korn
Limp Bizkit
Prophets of Rage
Good Charlotte

Pretty cool line up if you were a teenager in the late 90's early 00's

Agreed
Once head found god korn went s**t imo
And prophets have two good songs on that album, tracks one and obviously track two
Limps only decent album was 3 $ bill....let's be honest

Agreed
Once head found god korn went s**t imo
And prophets have two good songs on that album, tracks one and obviously track two
Limps only decent album was 3 $ bill....let's be honest
i agree with Korn and Prophets. prophets im assuming will play all RATM songs.

Limp Bizkits first 3 albums were pretty good for their time though. they were pretty good live when i saw them 5-6 years ago live too

Ive been tossing up going but Im only really interested in seeing Korn tbh, dunno whether its worth going just to see them though since its likely the view will be below par

Thank god I went to this instead of staying home and watching the pies/hawks and aus/saf games

Good day yesterday, raining early but came good for the rest of the day.

Psycroptic were fantastic, smallish crowd but they were right into it, first time I've ever seen a bloke in a wheelchair joining in a circle pit ha ha. Gojira were great as always, spot on live act, plenty of energy. Mastodon were really good too, the sound was a bit average for Bill's guitar though, could barely tell it was the Blood and Thunder riff from where I was sitting. Caught a bit of Nails who were ok and Make Them Suffer were good too, not really my thing though.

Was pumped for Suicidal Tendencies and they were... lame. Dave Lombardo was great on the kit of course but Mike seems old and out of breath and his vocals weren't great. They tried and had plenty of energy but they just didn't do it for me. Lucky though because I got to see King Parrot and they were probably the pick of the day, had never seen them before, absolute madness and the crowd were nuts!

I'm not sure exactly what Prophets of Rage are trying to do, they're kind of a cover band really. Kind of fun to sing along to when drunk but they played Jump Around, some Public Enemy songs, some Rage songs, Cypress Hill, yeah it was all over the place for mine and pointless. Checked out Arch Enemy afterwards who were pretty great and ****ed off after that, CBF with Korn. All in all good day, hoping for a better bill next year.

I too had a great day, despite being appalled when the line up was first read to me. I mean bands that were on the fourth line of the Soundwave ad a few years ago were playing the main stages at the business end of the night!

However, there was Suicidal Tendencies and Arch Enemy elsewhere at the back end of the day, and I snuck in about half an hour each of Rage and Korn, so not a bad last few hours really.

The main part of the day was spent on the barrier 10m from the Red Stage, but also close enough to clearly see the Black Stage. Great line up - Ocean Grove, Northlane, Sabaton, Gojira, Amon Amarth then Mastodon all doing it for me. The bloke in the wheelchair was in the mosh for Amon Amarth and well done to everyone for looking after him, and what a legend he is.

I didn't know Suicidal Tendencies that well, but they were my highlight of the day, and ended the night with about 40 fans piling onto the stage with them. What good blokes the band were, hugging and high fiving all of the interlopers, and a kiss or two for the ladies that made it up there too!

The whole vibe of the place was great, huge crowds, and in the evening when I was wondering around a bit I couldn't believe how many people were happy enough just hanging around the food/drink area and listening to the music far off on the stages. In a first, people were allowed to walk around with cans (rather than be forced to stay in the bar) and I imagine that increased the amount of consumption and fuelled the profits enough for the organisers to justify a 5 city return next year.

As above, had a cracking day. Highlights for me were definitely Sabaton and Mastodon. Gojira, Psychrooptic and Amon Amarth really good too.

Just keep reliving being right up the front for Sabaton, beautiful sunshine, cold beers and singing with a mad Swedish ninja about war was just off its head. First time seeing almost all of those bands too which doesn't happen very often (I'd seen Limp Bizkit and Korn before thats it)

Agree that the whole vibe was fantastic, just happy people everywhere, not too many cops or overzealous security, and being able to wander around with cans is the best thing to happen at a Melbourne music festival in forever.

Here's hoping it can come back. The key is don't try to make it Soundwave. I think it benefited by having a lesser amount of bands, and less stages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back