Download Video's From AFL.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

They don't Work so is there a way now how to do it?
I've been doing so with FFmpeg. The AFL website (and Kayo, and lots of other sites I assume) now use HLS streaming. HLS streaming breaks up the video file into a heap of smaller segment files, which helps it upscale/downscale quality on the fly when you're watching. FFmpeg finds all those segments, compiles them and spits them out as a single MP4 file.

Step One:
Download 'The Stream Detector' add-on for Firefox.

Step Two:
Download the current build of 'FFmpeg'. I found these instructions the best help for installing it.

Step Three:
Head over to the AFL website and go to the fixture section. The AFL website still has Quarter-by-Quarter full game replays as far back as 2012 on there. I'll chose Round 1 2013 Richmond v Carlton, 1st Quarter for this example.

Step Four:
Head to the Match Centre and scroll down to the bottom where it has 'Latest Videos for the Match'. Click on the video you want, so for us the 1st Quarter.

Step Five:
Once the video opens up Stream Detector will tell you it's found something with a pop-up in the bottom right of your screen.

Pic1.png

You can't right click on the actual video itself, so right click in the white 'Related Videos' bar at the bottom of the screen.

Pic2.png

As per the screenshot above, select The Stream Detector and then click 'Copy all URLS' and paste these in a notepad document.

Pic3.png

The one you want is the one that ends in master.m3u8. At first I was just copying until the end of the .m3u8 extension but it wasnt working, I was getting 403 forbidden errors. To prevent this you have to copy the whole thing, including the fastly_token. These tokens update regularly, so you can't go and copy 5 games worth of links to download when you have time (as I found out the hard way). You pretty much just have to do them right before you download them.

Step Six:
Now that you've copied the link, you need to add it to the code found in Step Four here.

Pic4.png
Step Seven:
Copy that, paste it in Command Prompt and hit Enter.

Pic7.png

Step Eight:
Just leave it go. Don't open another Command Prompt and try and do two quarters at the same time, it seems to * things up and cause errors. If you want to save a little time, copy the links for all four quarters put them one after another in notepad and save it as a .BAT file.

Pic5.png

Execute that and it'll just download the whole game for you one quarter after the other.

Pic6.png
It seems to default my output files to C:\Users\MYUSER. I'm not code savvy enough to change where it outputs, but I'm sure it's not that hard if you wanted to.

Step Nine:
Download as many games as you want! It's very similar process for Kayo as well.

Last edited:
I actually found that Chrome Add-On HLS Downloader lets me download the Video's with just a Click

What video's do you want from AFL demand?

The Full 2020 Draft Coverage Replay they put up

Last edited:
I've been doing so with FFmpeg. The AFL website (and Kayo, and lots of other sites I assume) now use HLS streaming. HLS streaming breaks up the video file into a heap of smaller segment files, which helps it upscale/downscale quality on the fly when you're watching. FFmpeg finds all those segments, compiles them and spits them out as a single MP4 file.

Step One:
Download 'The Stream Detector' add-on for Firefox.

Step Two:
Download the current build of 'FFmpeg'. I found these instructions the best help for installing it.

Step Three:
Head over to the AFL website and go to the fixture section. The AFL website still has Quarter-by-Quarter full game replays as far back as 2012 on there. I'll chose Round 1 2013 Richmond v Carlton, 1st Quarter for this example.

Step Four:
Head to the Match Centre and scroll down to the bottom where it has 'Latest Videos for the Match'. Click on the video you want, so for us the 1st Quarter.

Step Five:
Once the video opens up Stream Detector will tell you it's found something with a pop-up in the bottom right of your screen.

View attachment 834613

You can't right click on the actual video itself, so right click in the white 'Related Videos' bar at the bottom of the screen.

View attachment 834614

As per the screenshot above, select The Stream Detector and then click 'Copy all URLS' and paste these in a notepad document.

View attachment 834617

The one you want is the one that ends in master.m3u8. At first I was just copying until the end of the .m3u8 extension but it wasnt working, I was getting 403 forbidden errors. To prevent this you have to copy the whole thing, including the fastly_token. These tokens update regularly, so you can't go and copy 5 games worth of links to download when you have time (as I found out the hard way). You pretty much just have to do them right before you download them.

Step Six:
Now that you've copied the link, you need to add it to the code found in Step Four here.

View attachment 834624
Step Seven:
Copy that, paste it in Command Prompt and hit Enter.

View attachment 834630

Step Eight:
Just leave it go. Don't open another Command Prompt and try and do two quarters at the same time, it seems to fu** things up and cause errors. If you want to save a little time, copy the links for all four quarters put them one after another in notepad and save it as a .BAT file.

View attachment 834628

Execute that and it'll just download the whole game for you one quarter after the other.

View attachment 834629
It seems to default my output files to C:\Users\MYUSER. I'm not code savvy enough to change where it outputs, but I'm sure it's not that hard if you wanted to.

Step Nine:
Download as many games as you want! It's very similar process for Kayo as well.

I download from kayo....2 clicks, no, NOT a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, I'm looking to download either a list of the time of player involvements (the list of the times in the Player Involvements box on the right) or just the actual clips of the player involvements themselves, so I can edit specific player footage. Anyone have any ideas how?
I already have the full match downloaded, I just dont want to have to watch the whole match to pick out Tracs disposals etc.
PlayerInvolvements.jpg

Hey, I'm looking to download either a list of the time of player involvements (the list of the times in the Player Involvements box on the right) or just the actual clips of the player involvements themselves, so I can edit specific player footage. Anyone have any ideas how?
I already have the full match downloaded, I just dont want to have to watch the whole match to pick out Tracs disposals etc.
View attachment 1235057

have you tried using a video download extension?

have you tried using a video download extension?
yeah, I just download the whole game and use the timecodes to grab the footage I need.
I'm sure there's some way to grab just the individual player involvement clips themselves but I'm fine with my workflow now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back