AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Who does it?
How do you do it?
Do you believe in it?
Do you call upon help with it?
Do you use your body to do it or do you use a thing like a crystal?
How often do you do it?
Discuss :)

Ive done the water thing to locate stormwater pipes on our block located about 400ml underground
Just used the old coathanger trick
Got low to the ground and they crossed when over the pipe area as the system is designed to always be full of water

Never done the old crystal over a map tho
I use to work in the civil game on excavators and other earth moving machines and as you could imagine finding underground services before digging is pretty damn important! Anyhow, obviously poly or pvc pipes are un-tracable with a inductive locator so a bloke I worked with use to use the dowsing coat hangers or divining rods as he'd call them to find them underground. I use to think he had rocks in his head but he always managed to find where the pipes were!

Mister_X

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
My grandfather did it (he was an inspiration for the movie 'The Water Diviner').

i've done it myself with water pipes and a coat hanger.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Yeah 100% it works. An old mate who's long since passed used to do it in the regional areas around Darwin to help locate the best sites for water bores prior to drilling &, from memory, he learnt the craft while working on cattle farms around Longreach after emigrating from the UK in the 1950's.

He was relatively well know among the rural community up that way being one of the first mango farmers in the region. I worked with him for a while & went on a couple of trips with him to newly subdivided farming areas where I watched him carry out his 'magic' & saw the landowners happily hand over payment for his services.

Last edited:

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can't do it myself, but I suppose I have never tried either, but it definitely works.
We just lost an old bloke out here who would use a single piece of wire in one hand and an old legitimate penny in the other, and sometimes he would put the penny in his mouth as he walked along an underground stream.
He claimed to be able to tell the depth of the water and the salinity level of it.
I never quite worked out how the penny figured in things, as he never divulged it, but I, and hundreds of farmers around here, have invested heavily in bores on his advice and, to my knowledge, he has always been spot on.
In my case he was accurate to the metre on depth and salinity on 3 occasions.
Amazing old fella who is dearly missed.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Ive seen my dad and grand dad do it.
With a y shaped sappling
I have a vague feel for where water may be but Im assuming its more about picking up clues in the landscape.

Ive found 3 soaks on my block and Im on the top of a unexploded ancient volcano pimple

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This is ******* bananas. Proven time and time again to be total bullshit in controlled experiments. I can’t believe how gullible people are.

Maybe we all should donate our money back to the bloke who I mentioned family then?
My 3 bores are still pumping potable water to this day.
It's not bananas.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
This is ******* bananas. Proven time and time again to be total bullshit in controlled experiments. I can’t believe how gullible people are.

And yet out in the field it works every time....I've seen it with my own eyes on more occasions than I care to remember.....Now fancy that.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
I don’t put much weight on anecdotal tales on the internet. Particularly when they contradict science.

Until you put up some evidence to back your claims then your post is every bit as anecdotal.

And my claims have every thing to do with experience & common-sense.....Things which scientific 'theories' can be quite antithetical towards.

Over to you captain epistemology.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Until you put up some evidence to back your claims then your post is every bit as anecdotal.

And my claims have every thing to do with experience & common-sense.....Things which scientific 'theories' can be quite antithetical towards.

Over to you captain epistemology.

Well clearly the burden of proof is not on me...but here it is anyway.

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don’t put much weight on anecdotal tales from the internet. Particularly when they contradict science.

That's nice.
I DO put a hell of a lot of weight in the near $50,000 that I spent sinking 3 bores on old mates say so.
I couldn't even begin to quantify the amount of money that has been spent, and trusted, on 'diviners' finding the right streams to drill into across the nation and over the decades/centuries.
You are simply wrong.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's nice.
I DO put a hell of a lot of weight in the near $50,000 that I spent sinking 3 bores on old mates say so.
I couldn't even begin to quantify the amount of money that has been spent, and trusted, on 'diviners' finding the right streams to drill into across the nation and over the decades/centuries.
You are simply wrong.
Why do dowsers do no better than chance in controlled experiments?

As for your particular case, I’ll grant in good faith that you are not lying. However there are so many more obvious explanations that do not involve magic powers.

Did the man have intimate knowledge of the land? Did his previous experience lead him to having a greater chance of locating water based on his observations of the land?

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Why do dowsers do no better than chance in controlled experiments?

As for your particular case, I’ll grant in good faith that you are not lying. However there are so many more obvious explanations that do not involve magic powers.

Did the man have intimate knowledge of the land? Did his previous experience lead him to having a greater chance of locating water based on his observations of the land?

I'm not lying and there are no 'magic' powers.
No, he had no intimate knowledge of the area.
We are talking millions upon millions of hectares here.

You're just wrong.
People to this very day rely on deviners.
We spend thousands of dollars on their advice and they are very rarely wrong.

I am planning on sinking a new bore this year...and I am looking forward to your funding in opposition to the deviners findings.
It's only $20,000.

Back