Universal Love Dr Bruce Reid - Essendon Legend, Rest in Peace

Ergh. All the best to him and his family, hopefully he can beat it. Horrible disease. Isn’t this the one associated with asbestos?

Jager bombers

Senior List
Apr 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The players absolutely adore Doc Reid. I've never heard anyone say a negative thing about him even through that ASAGA mess everyone (but the AFL and ASADA) were behind him. He has always had the players health and well-being ahead of the club he loves. a truly caring person.
Wish him all the best.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Mesothelioma is an asbestos-related disease and unfortunately malignant and a very low survival rate. Awful news.

No such thing when it comes to meso. He's cooked, unfortunately.
Could probably not be so blunt.

He could very well live for another 5+ years. If it was agressive and spread they wouldn't have operated, the fact they did means he has a chance of being around for a few more years yet.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I first met Bruce about 32 years ago at pre-season, and he's been my doc ever since. During that time, he's counselled me through the death of both parents (he was also their doc), of a mutual family friend, and helped me get over numerous injuries. He has not changed since day 1.
Each session would follow the same course - get the injury/health stuff out of the way, then we'd talk about the club for the rest of the session. He'd always finish up the appointment with, "OK, pi$$ off!"

The last time I saw him was about 3-4 months ago for the yearly checkup. He's still running 2-3 times per week, and although it's not as fast as he used to run, it's probably still faster than most people half his age... Not many people know that he played a handful of games for Hawthorn, and was a superb runner. In fact - in the late 80's he would often join in with the team when they did their time trials around the tan - and beat them all - when he was into is 40's.

Not sure what the future holds, I just hope he gets a few years to relax & spend some decent time with his loved ones.

Back