Universal Love Dr Bruce Reid - Essendon Legend, Rest in Peace

Remove this Banner Ad

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Could probably not be so blunt.

He could very well live for another 5+ years. If it was agressive and spread they wouldn't have operated, the fact they did means he has a chance of being around for a few more years yet.

Definitely not intending to be insensitive, as on reflection my post is.

Surgery could relate to any number of diagnostic procedures some of which are taxing.

Point is that mesothelioma is a disaster.

The only type I've heard of going into remission is testicular because it can be cut away (it's also an extremely rare form of meso). You'd think the news would be a bit more positive if that was the case.

1 year would be the average diagnosis. There is a less aggressive form not of the lungs that might give him 2 years but it's meant to be horrendously painful and it's another very rare form of meso.

Last edited:
Definitely not intending to be insensitive, as on reflection my post is.

Surgery could relate to any number of diagnostic procedures some of which are taxing.

Point is that mesothelioma is a disaster.

The only type I've heard of going into remission is testicular because it can be cut away (it's also an extremely rare for of meso). You'd think the news would be a bit more positive if that was the case.

1 year would be the average diagnosis. There is a less aggressive form not of the lungs that might give him 2 years but it's meant to be horrendously painful and it's a very rare form of meso.
5 year survival rate is about 9%. I'm gonna hope its that.

image.jpg

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Who’d think ripping down a chook house in your 20’s would get you 50 years later.

I ripped down a bungalow in my backyard 10 years ago which was asbestos I found out later. I'm a ticking time bomb.

Sorry to intrude onto your board. :( Awful news. I had heard rumours of this because of my connections with the medical community/other footy club doctors, but kept quiet before an announcement in the absence of anything concrete and out of respect for confidentiality. My thoughts are with Dr Reid and his family. Life is so unfair sometimes.
Mesothelioma is a terrible disease indeed but I echo earlier comments in that it's a positive that he was even a candidate for surgery, and that he's now recovering from it.
Fingers crossed :hearts:

Sorry to intrude onto your board. :( Awful news. I had heard rumours of this because of my connections with the medical community/other footy club doctors, but kept quiet before an announcement in the absence of anything concrete and out of respect for confidentiality. My thoughts are with Dr Reid and his family. Life is so unfair sometimes.
Mesothelioma is a terrible disease indeed but I echo earlier comments in that it's a positive that he was even a candidate for surgery, and that he's now recovering from it.
Fingers crossed :hearts:
Thanks MWWP. In light of what you know and in your professional opinion, is there a realistic chance of recovery?

It must be heartbreaking for his family.

DERO I don’t know specific details about his particular case (and wouldn’t disclose them even if I did) , but in a general/population sense , sadly no as it’s not considered curable because it almost always is diagnosed only at an advanced stage after many years of slow undetected progression :( . Prognosis is always difficult to predict but tends to be in the months to a year or two range in a general sense. I’m hoping it’s on the longer end of that given that he had surgery , but that most of all , he can be comfortable and spend it with loved ones . Heartbreaking indeed :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, spoke with someone about 10 days ago, he has responded as best as you could want to the treatment, which should buy him a bit of time.
Ripper bloke, hope he hangs around for as long as possible.

Yeah similar story to what I heard. Seems to be on the road to recovery.

Yeah similar story to what I heard. Seems to be on the road to recovery.
Buying time and in the road to recovery seem like two somewhat different things
Yup, I don't think recovery will ever be possible will it? I think it's all about just giving him as long as possible and keeping him as healthy as possible in that time.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Credit to the bloke he is still involved with the footy club. You wouldn't blame him in the slightest if he walked away and spent his final years getting some well deserved R & R. Says a lot about the calibre of the bloke.

RIP Bruce. Sadly didn’t get to live to see himself become a legend in our Hall of Fame, but he was already without the formalities.

A man of the highest integrity and honour. What a massive loss.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
RIP Bruce. As important part of the club as anyone over the past 40 years and a great Human. Will be missed

Back