Solved Dr Death - Jayant Patel Bundaberg Qld

Remove this Banner Ad

Patel is linked to at least 87 deaths among the 1,202 patients he treated between 2003 and early 2005.

Thirteen of them proved to have died as a result of his negligence and many more were injured

"One day, he'd be an expert in cardiothoracic surgery. The next day, he would have been a trauma surgeon in New York for so many years. All the things just didn't ring true," she says.

The truth was that Patel had left a trail of dead and injured patients in the US, where he'd been banned from performing certain surgeries in one state and forced to hand over his medical licence in another.

Through sheer negligence, no one in Queensland checked his background.

Nearly had a similar case at a hospital I was working as CFO... but at a major teaching hospital.

The hospital had just appointed a new professor of surgery from the UK to head up the division of surgery.

Apparently there were warnings during the appointment process of some concerns, but he was given the role.

Not long after he started, I had one of my staff rush into my office saying he was drunk & about to head into surgery. Quickly took action (only time I was running down hospital corridors!) to ensure he didn't get to theatre & another surgeon replaced him so no cancellations.

He was put on leave with pay during an investigation & his short lived employment was terminated.

Nearly had a similar case at a hospital I was working as CFO... but at a major teaching hospital.

The hospital had just appointed a new professor of surgery from the UK to head up the division of surgery.

Apparently there were warnings during the appointment process of some concerns, but he was given the role.

Not long after he started, I had one of my staff rush into my office saying he was drunk & about to head into surgery. Quickly took action (only time I was running down hospital corridors!) to ensure he didn't get to theatre & another surgeon replaced him so no cancellations.

He was put on leave with pay during an investigation & his short lived employment was terminated.

Good on you, that was brave. Well done.

Good on you, that was brave. Well done.
No brainer... as have to do the right thing.

You would hope the anaesthetist & nursing staff would have stopped him had he got into surgery... though they may not have been aware of the bottle of alcohol my staff member saw. He also tried it on with her to, so he was a real piece of work.

Quality effort, props

Have just finished reading Hedley Thomas‘ book ‘Sick to Death‘ about Patel. Shocking story especially for victims, their families. Disgraceful how so many protected Patel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back