List Mgmt. Draft 2018: Lions 1st (5), Power 1st (10), Hawks 1st (15)

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
shewho

Smith isn't the first player ever from Xavier to be in this position. They would take it intro account
also
last year both games when he played the western jets he tore up as a first year
will rewatch his game against valente this weekend.

for the record I'm Rankine > Smith >> Rozee.

Some people on here (led by yourself) think that it'll be grab the pitchforks time .

It's not that at all, i could understand how club gets to that position quite easily.

Yeah I get it. But I'm Rankine>> Smith> Rozee. Very subtly different but that doesn't take account of the go home and achilles issues.

TAC Cup is hard to judge as there are 12 teams who because of varying school commitments don't always have their best available and at that age development of physique varies. Just have a look at the film of Max King kicking 8-5 (it could have been 13-0 but was very windy). Hard to judge because his opponent was a solid foot shorter than him.

At least if we pass on Smith, you know he won't end up at the Cows. But if we pass on Rankine he might. That would be unbearable.

shewho

Smith isn't the first player ever from Xavier to be in this position. They would take it intro account
also
last year both games when he played the western jets he tore up as a first year
will rewatch his game against valente this weekend.

for the record I'm Rankine > Smith >> Rozee.

Some people on here (led by yourself) think that it'll be grab the pitchforks time .

It's not that at all, i could understand how club gets to that position quite easily.
Hannebery went to Xavier and was in the same boat, although he turned 18 in February and they were the days you could turn 18 by 31/3/next year to be drafted this year, where as last 7 or 8 years its been by 31/12/this year. He was on the swans list in 2009 but stayed in Melbourne to finish year 12 and played school footy in year 12, but played a few AFL games in 2009 whilst still at school.

Last edited:

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm happy to take Smith over Rankine.

Smith is a december baby who has transitioned from the backline to a dominant mid in a short period. Rankine is precocious talent (8 months older) who has ridiculous evasive skills as a forward. Personally i think Port needs to build it's midfield and spine rather than using such a valuable pick on a forward flanker who can pinch hit in the middle.

The reality is that there is a pretty clear top 5 and it's likely we take the player available. (Walsh, Luko, Rankine, M. King and Smith)

To me, Smith rises as King has injury risk. (acl) Rankine plays the least important position, doesn't have great disposal and openly has issues about training.

Dalfino

#BringBackTheBars
May 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Rankine we get immense talent with questionable professionalism. Smith we get immense professionalism with questionable talent (when compared to the likes of Rankine). Either way, I'll completely understand and respect the club's reasoning behind the decision to chose one over the other if it comes to that. They both fill a need and neither is that much better than the other all things considered. I'm happy taking either, no preference.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah I’m very happy either way if we go smith or rankine.

At the moment the suggestion seems to be from multiple afl sites that

Blues - Walsh
Gcs - luko / rankine
Saints - max king
Port - Ben king or smith

Gcs are linked to Caldwell but it’s hard to say if they wouldn’t take Rozee at 6.

C4 on here did say that both sa teams were confident that Rozee comes back to sa first chance he gets so I am wondering if now Rozee slides to crows first pick.

We’ve been linked to Rozee at 10 lately but I would be amazed if crows pass on him but they have a history of left field first round picks

Smith / Rozee would be an amazing pair to draft with our first 2 picks.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
So is Rozee completely out of the question now? Or one of the Kings? It's come down to Rankine V Smith debate here, is it that simple?
Most of the choice here seems to centre around Smith and Rankine. Lukosius and Walsh look like a bridge too far. But if worst comes to worst I'd hope that we take the player with the good smarts and delivery, because that's what we've been missing.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
So is Rozee completely out of the question now? Or one of the Kings? It's come down to Rankine V Smith debate here, is it that simple?

I bloody hope so!

Max king goes at 4 if it’s down to Rankine or Smith for us at 5. There’s no way we should be raking Ben King at 5 when there’s probably a 50:50 chance he’s still there at 10.

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
I want Smith but I get the feeling he is a flight risk..

In the article posted by Ford he is quoted as saying:
“I obviously understand that it’s a national competition and you can go anywhere, but I’d love to stay at home and I reckon I’d get the most out of myself if I did.”

For someone so driven to get the best out of himself if he feels he isnt reaching his potential, which Port consistantly fails to help players achieve, he will want to go back home.

Also in the draft rumors thread posters are talking about him being a flight risk and that Cal Twomey mentioned it on his podcast.

It seems the Dogs are very keen on him too.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I want Smith but I get the feeling he is a flight risk..

In the article posted by Ford he is quoted as saying:
“I obviously understand that it’s a national competition and you can go anywhere, but I’d love to stay at home and I reckon I’d get the most out of myself if I did.”

For someone so driven to get the best out of himself if he feels he isnt reaching his potential, which Port consistantly fails to help players achieve, he will want to go back home.

Also in the draft rumors thread posters are talking about him being a flight risk and that Cal Twomey mentioned it on his podcast.

It seems the Dogs are very keen on him too.
How is that any less draft tampering than Rankine saying he would lprefer to play in Adelaide?

How is that any less draft tampering than Rankine saying he would lprefer to play in Adelaide?

It's not, but we're in Adelaide. Rankine isn't leaving us to go play in Adelaide. Smith could leave us to go back to Melbourne.

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
I dont think its draft tampering at all. Most if not all draftees want to stay in the same state.

My concern is Ports inability to develop talent may drive him to go where he thinks he can get the best out of himself.

We managed to turn Wines' view around so hopefully we could do the same with Smith.

If the Dogs are keen on him then they definitely wont trade their pick to us on draft night if he is still on the table.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

No. If we can get another high pick selling next year's 1st then it's Smith/Rankine/King/Rozee.

This thread will get ugly.

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's not, but we're in Adelaide. Rankine isn't leaving us to go play in Adelaide. Smith could leave us to go back to Melbourne.

Smith could leave Gold Coast to go back to Melbourne.

No top end pick wants to go to Gold Coast it's not directed at us it's a shot at Gold Coast.

I read all of this discussion around Rankine, Smith, Rozee and the Kings and just think How amazing is this? We are going to get one of these players. It is guaranteed. Clubs can shuffle around between 1 and 4 but we still get pick 5.

And really, being worried that Smith is a flight risk because of a comment in an article? That's like Macca's comment about trying to decide between the best players based on a 2 minute video.

If Port are really as locked onto Smith as is rumored we would have spoken intensely to him half a dozen times, worked out what is best for the family and arranged a genuine partnership with the family. Port would have done everything they can to ensure they know his attitude and what it takes to make sure he wants to stay.

Back