schmikhawk

Debutant
Apr 13, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Celtic
because of the amazing ride we hawks have been on the last few years ( and our current declining ladder position/improving draft position) I have had little interest in the draft in recent times.

Who do us armchair list managers think the hawks will acquire this draft period, and about which pick do people think we will end up with?

I’m not really thinking anything other than 1st round tbh- after that it’s all a bit of a lottery imo. (excludes nga academy picks )

Cheers

because of the amazing ride we hawks have been on the last few years ( and our current declining ladder position/improving draft position) I have had little interest in the draft in recent times.

Who do us armchair list managers think the hawks will acquire this draft period, and about which pick do people think we will end up with?

I’m not really thinking anything other than 1st round tbh- after that it’s all a bit of a lottery imo. (excludes nga academy picks )

Cheers

It depends on our strategy, I think when Pelchen moved to St Kilda, strategy was to get as many picks in top 25. Even first round picks, you still need to get it right. If you look at past draft picks and who we picked instead of Matt Crouch / Zack Merritt and you will know. If you can turn a pick 6 into pick 11 / 15 and pick up two good players at those picks instead of an earlier pick that ends up being a fail is good strategy. It all comes back to recruiters and how well they do. Generally speaking though kids take 2-3 years to mature and by then we would be retiring Rioli/Bruest/Gunston/Smith or they would have played their best football, hence HFC would need to come up with strategy, are we few good players away to trade or pick up or do go to the draft for kids.

i cant see any club trading out of the top 10 this year.....such is the quality of the top 10.
The top 20 is also reasonably deep by all accounts, but top 10 is where it is at.

I am not sure we have anyone on our list that we would be prepared to trade out that would net us anything more than a late first round pick.

I know it’s boring but I think we just hang on to pick 6-7. I think that’s what it might end up being and take best available.

It’s really hard to know who will be available because there’s a mixture of talls and midfielders.

2nd round pick wil be say pick 25 so still a decent chance to get someone decent in that range.

I think our drafting has been really good the last few years even though we’ve had really bad picks.

So I’m positive and thinking how well we can do at the draft with a decent hand for a change.

I know it’s boring but I think we just hang on to pick 6-7. I think that’s what it might end up being and take best available.

It’s really hard to know who will be available because there’s a mixture of talls and midfielders.
The thought of holding that pick is pretty exciting in this draft to be honest. So much talent and will be great to look in to all the good young players and see who me might pick up. Long way to go before declaring we will have that sort of pick.

The thought of holding that pick is pretty exciting in this draft to be honest. So much talent and will be great to look in to all the good young players and see who me might pick up. Long way to go before declaring we will have that sort of pick.

Anywhere inside pick 10 (so I’m assuming we miss the finals) will be a pretty decent hand.

We hold on to both first and second round picks, no two ways about it, jagging a flag with this group is not going to happen.
In fact I’d try and get another second round pick plus a third rounder considering the draft is solid up to 40 players this year. I’d be more excited about us getting 3-4 youngsters and Inside the Top 40 then trading picks away for 25+ year olds.

We hold on to both first and second round picks, no two ways about it, jagging a flag with this group is not going to happen.
In fact I’d try and get another second round pick plus a third rounder considering the draft is solid up to 40 players this year. I’d be more excited about us getting 3-4 youngsters and Inside the Top 40 then trading picks away for 25+ year olds.

I’m torn, what if the 25 year old is Tom Lynch?

I’m torn, what if the 25 year old is Tom Lynch?
I think we’re past that option, we have too many other problems. There are young KP forwards in the draft, get one and give him a lot of games from day dot to develop in the seniors much like Rough and Bud back all those years ago.

I think we’re past that option, we have too many other problems. There are young KP forwards in the draft, get one and give him a lot of games from day dot to develop in the seniors much like Rough and Bud back all those years ago.

The comp is so weak/even now that one gun player like Lynch could be the difference between needing to rebuild or being a flag chance. The margins are that small I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't need to waste the pick or cash on Lynch. Hardwick is a gun forward, but due to our defensive weakness he has been developed into a defender.
Our forward line is ok if we had a strong defence.

Guys that could be in the mix around our 1st pick would be Jackson Hately, bailey smith, Curtis Taylor, Riley Collier Dawkins, jye Caldwell, jack bytel. I’ve picked mids because I don’t think hawthorn will wait for the 3/4 years it’ll take for a key forward to come through. I think we’ll look towards the bigger bodied/taller mids, so bytel, Hately and Collier Dawkins could be the ones we are interested in. Lukosius and the kings will be gone before our picks. I love izak rankine but probably not what we need, and he’ll probably be gone by that point aswell

Guys that could be in the mix around our 1st pick would be Jackson Hately, bailey smith, Curtis Taylor, Riley Collier Dawkins, jye Caldwell, jack bytel. I’ve picked mids because I don’t think hawthorn will wait for the 3/4 years it’ll take for a key forward to come through. I think we’ll look towards the bigger bodied/taller mids, so bytel, Hately and Collier Dawkins could be the ones we are interested in. Lukosius and the kings will be gone before our picks. I love izak rankine but probably not what we need, and he’ll probably be gone by that point aswell

Bailey Smith sounds exactly like our type of player and will be there at 6-10 range

Bailey Smith sounds exactly like our type of player and will be there at 6-10 range
Yeah definitely, with the year he’s having he might be gone before our first pick though. Also it makes our midfield a little small so I’d be more inclined to take some1 abit taller but I’d be very happy if we got him anyway

Yeah definitely, with the year he’s having he might be gone before our first pick though. Also it makes our midfield a little small so I’d be more inclined to take some1 abit taller but I’d be very happy if we got him anyway

sounds dumb to try and project the draft this far out however if we miss the 8 we would want to fall off the cliff. I still think our last 7 games gives us a chance at the 8 so if thats the case it sounds like he is definitely gone

King
Walsh
King
Blakey (Academy)
Thomas (Academy)
Lukoscious
Rankine
Hill
Smith
Rozee

sounds dumb to try and project the draft this far out however if we miss the 8 we would want to fall off the cliff. I still think our last 7 games gives us a chance at the 8 so if thats the case it sounds like he is definitely gone

King
Walsh
King
Blakey (Academy)
Thomas (Academy)
Lukoscious
Rankine
Hill
Smith
Rozee
Yeah my guess would be that the kings, lukosius, rankine and Walsh are before him. So we’d probably need pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back