Draft 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a few players that are old enough to have shown something special and will still be there playing their best footy when the team we build around them matures in 3 - 4 years. That's what we did with Hodge and Mitchell. 2 generational type superstars that were only mid 20s when we built around them with some high draft picks (Lewis, Birchall, Franklin, Roughead, Cyril, ) and excellent recruiting and trading (Breust, Suckers, Smith, Poppy, Hill, Gibbo, Hale, McEvoy, Lake, Gunston, Burgoyne, Goo etc). I guess we really need Mitchell and O'Meara to be the two mids we build around. We need to realise that we will be lucky to see a team as good as our 3peat again. They were really a special unit.

If this draft turns out to be even close to a 2001 type draft there will be talent available all the way through, good year for a clean out i reckon.

If this draft turns out to be even close to a 2001 type draft there will be talent available all the way through, good year for a clean out i reckon.

It’s different to 2001 in that one the first three picks there were dead set guaranteed gun midfielders.

What makes this draft a super draft compared to other years is the depth of key position talent.

I would compare it to a much better version of the 2004 draft.

Lids, Roughead, Griffen, Buddy
But with an extra tall and more depth of midfield talent. 2004 really dropped off after the top 5-7.

I think we’re past that option, we have too many other problems. There are young KP forwards in the draft, get one and give him a lot of games from day dot to develop in the seniors much like Rough and Bud back all those years ago.
We're not past that problem we need a mobile forward asap. Clarko wants Premierships asap... draft one of the King brothers

We're not past that problem we need a mobile forward asap. Clarko wants Premierships asap... draft one of the King brothers

We have lots of gaps... key forward, key defender, inside mid with pace, outside mid with great footskills, running half back...

What do you mean inside mid with pace.. as in do you have a player type in mind?

TBH I don't see a lot of point in studying the draft prospects this early in the year as we have no idea what picks we will get or who will shine in the second half of the year. e.g. in state games. Always find it baffling when we look like we will win the flag and people start naming guys that are touted as top 5 picks as the ones we should draft :huh::D:eek:o_O:rolleyes:

Tom Mitchell covers a lot of ground but is not fast, Pup has better speed during endurance, but at full pace, normally burns the ball, Howe seems slow and JOM is exactly what we need another of, but without the injury history. The AFL keep rumouring about finding a way to cut congestion and reducing the number of players, rotations or ground areas, is likely. I think speed will become even more important as less fresh players, knock it into space thereby letting the speed in their team, get to it first.

Oh to have a young Shane Crawford...

I think we’re past that option, we have too many other problems. There are young KP forwards in the draft, get one and give him a lot of games from day dot to develop in the seniors much like Rough and Bud back all those years ago.

We already did that and they changed the rules, with more changes to come.
The game is moving to fast to wait on the hopeful development, to fix certain problems.
Hopefully the hype of the super draft increases our chance of trading it in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you guys don't mind me intruding
Marc Pittonet? What is he like? As you know worry on our list is that we don't have a good Ruck and I see this guy seems to be going good in your VFL team and is out of Contract. As you have a awesome ruck on Big Boy McEvoy. Hope you don't mind me asking about him. Cheers

Hope you guys don't mind me intruding
Marc Pittonet? What is he like? As you know worry on our list is that we don't have a good Ruck and I see this guy seems to be going good in your VFL team and is out of Contract. As you have a awesome ruck on Big Boy McEvoy. Hope you don't mind me asking about him. Cheers
Good tap ruck, aggressive in the contest (models himself on Mumford), poor contested mark hence struggling to get a look in for seniors as he can’t rest up forward

Good tap ruck, aggressive in the contest (models himself on Mumford), poor contested mark hence struggling to get a look in for seniors as he can’t rest up forward
Cheers mate... It's just the way the role of a ruck has changed . Years ago when a ruck played there role was just in the ruck contest. But now they need to play all over the ground eg kick goals, mark, defend etc

A very popular opinion of people in the know is that if there was 1 player you were ever going to tank for it is Jack Lukosious.

Probably to late to do it now cos Carlton St.Kilda GC and Brissy wouldnt pass us on the ladder even if we didn't win another game.

A very popular opinion of people in the know is that if there was 1 player you were ever going to tank for it is Jack Lukosious.

Probably to late to do it now cos Carlton St.Kilda GC and Brissy wouldnt pass us on the ladder even if we didn't win another game.
Why tank when you can let him get drafted for 2 years then swipe him for free?

Hopefully no trading out of picks . In fact I would love for 4-5 picks inside Top 30-40!!
Need to hit this draft hard and get rid of players that still have some currency before it’s too late!

Hopefully no trading out of picks . In fact I would love for 4-5 picks inside Top 30-40!!
Need to hit this draft hard and get rid of players that still have some currency before it’s too late!

Im trying to think of who these players with currency might be which the club would be willing to trade?

Like Breust (unlikely)
Jack Gunston (unlikely and we wouldn't get what we want)
Cyril Rioli (who knows if he even wants to play on)
Izaak Smith (unlikely, our only genuine winger)

Guys like Hardwick, Burton, Sicily untouchable.
Really don't have much to offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back