Autopsy Draft analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

The league zigs and we zag ... it's genius. This year is a "mids draft" so the rest of the league undervalues KPPs. Next year it's the opposite and we'll swoop on undervalued mids.

Love the Simpkin pick, the rest have a whiff of Project about them (tbh even Simpkin has a bit of that) but can probably get away with that with where our list is at. Confirms my feelings about this offseason as being one not to swing for the fences on high risk trades and picks. Spend 2017 sifting through the list and figuring out what we've got.

Depth chart looks a bit like this to me:

KPF: Waite Brown Wood Daw McKay, Durdin, Larkey
General Fwd: Higgins, Thomas, Turner, Anderson, Garner, Wagner, Simpkin
Mid: Swallow, Gibson, Ziebell, Cunnington, Jacobs, Dumont, Clarke, Hrovat, Ahern, Mountford, D Williams, Fordham
General Def: Macmillan, Atley, Wright, MacDonald, Mullett, M Williams, Vickers-Willis, Hibberd,
KPD: Hansen, Thompson, Tarrant, Durdin, Nielson, Watson, Larkey
Ruck: Goldstein, Preuss, Jefferies

Red = need a succession plan within the next 1-2 years.
Green = yet to debut

So yeah, we needed to take a KPD with one of those second rounders.

Best case, both of Watson and D Williams get developed perfectly and realise their (considerable) upside. Both their highlights look pretty good.

Translation: "We're so totally screwed for KPDs. If Durdin and Nielson don't step up this year we've only got one good one. It was totally a reach."

Brilliant post Rob.

I was musing last night over a couple of unexpected picks and I think the boom midfield draft theory works brilliantly... of course there will be excellent KP talent sneaking all the way to the end and I believe, coupled with the fact we took two kids from existing academies, that this is the reason we appeared to take players ages before their anticipated pick. Then Larkey comes in as the genuine project tall.

I also think the "we need mids" argument was only really gazumped because none of us expected both Brodie and Florent to be gone by our pick. One of those get to us and we appear to have filled our presumed list needs. It's good to see somebody break it down so we could really see what we required.

I have a bad feeling we'll miss on John Blakey's son because we need to encourage the sons of blokes who play 350+ games to be keen on football.

In better news, Bailey Scott (son of Robert) is a fanatical North fan.

If we snag 3 of the 4 on offer, it's not bad going.

I know there is a ocean worth of water to go under the ol bridge, but does anyone know how the three F/S are tracking?

I know there is a ocean worth of water to go under the ol bridge, but does anyone know how the three F/S are tracking?

Aren't there four? Although I think Crock's son is a bit behind the other three.

I have a bad feeling we'll miss on John Blakey's son because we need to encourage the sons of blokes who play 350+ games to be keen on football.

You think we have already spoken to Bailey and have mentioned to him that number 8 is available if he wants it?

As for analysing the draft, given most are just going by who the media mention, who has youtube vids etc, I think it's easy to be disappointed because we don't draft the names you've decided you like, and thus it then becomes a matter of justifying why we've had a poor draft - today it's that we didn't pick any pure mids and we picked a KPD despite drafting Nielsen/EVW/Durdin two years ago.

If the draft had gone as follows:

11 - Simpkin
32 - C Cox/Bolton
33 - B Cox

I reckon everyone would be absolutely stoked, even though the net result is effectively the same (two outside types who could end up as mids, a KPD).

I'm also a bit surprised that people are shocked that we took a KPD with one of our 2nd round picks. Pre-draft, I thought that was about an 80% chance to occur. I think some misinterpreted the suggestion that this was a lean draft for key position "forwards", as compared to key position "players". If you count Logue as a KPD, then he, B.Cox, Maibaum, Watson, McLarty & Garthwaite are a pretty decent crop on paper. It's just that none of them were genuine top 10 choices.

Whether we took the correct player or not is a separate question and it will be interesting to track Watson against Cox. McLarty & Maibaum moving forward. My guess is that the recruiters saw Watson as the most similar to Scott Thompson, who is probably the 1st of our current KPDs to need replacing.

The Williams pick is the high-risk/high-reward one. It was probably clear that we weren't going to draft another inside mid at this stage, so we were hoping that a Bolton, C.Cox or maybe Fisher slid. We probably reached a bit here, but considering we had no 3rd round pick & the Suns probably would have matched a bid if we did, the recruiting team saw it as worth the risk.

At least we'll get a top 10 draft pick next year.....unless all the top 10 picks have already been allocated to Gold Coast.

I just hope there are some good players living between Collingwood and Abbotsford, so they're not otherwise in the GWS zone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't have minded one of Atley or Clarke to be picked up based on that they were labelled as smart insiders - I wouldn't mind Brayshaw. No sure why he missed out

Your post reminds me of a cola poster coming onto the north board a while back and saying that the Sydney academy taking in Blakey/Longmire was a good for north as they were developing the talent for us. What an absolute crock of bull and he was laughed off this board too.

Bit underwhelmed overall in the "draftermath".

Feels a bit "same old" after a lot of things we have done right and well since season's end.

Was hoping for "that mid" to fall our way at #12 that could give us that injection but have to accept that it was out of our hands (ie. they were gone) and we did the next best thing in getting Simpkin.

He's a good player/pick-up and look forward to seeing him strut his stuff.

The rest of it "meh". Feels like we were "reaching" with our 30's picks.

Larkey could be anything and seems like a hunch pick which is what you'd expect at that point.

We have a lot of players that can "run through" the midfield but that are not "pure midfielders". Was just hoping for one/one more defined as "pure". A player that is one of "the" midfield and not one that goes "through" the midfield.

Still have the rookie draft though. Hopefully, get some more "value" there a la our trade period.

I haven't and couldn't even hazard a guess at a 22 for next year. There is just so much unknown and so many unknown quantities (specifically at AFL level and/or in our colours) and competition for spots (a definite good thing).

And in all likelihood our "Best 22" for Round 1 2017 will be vastly different than what we perceive our best 22 to be at the Bye round and again at seasons end.

Well.....bring it on! (Undetectable apprehension present:):straining:)

SACK SCOTT
Not what I expected.

I fully expected to see some genuine midfield accumulators in there, and I don't think we got any?

But seriously, what the firetruck would I know?

Bit underwhelmed overall in the "draftermath".

Feels a bit "same old" after a lot of things we have done right and well since season's end.

Was hoping for "that mid" to fall our way at #12 that could give us that injection but have to accept that it was out of our hands (ie. they were gone) and we did the next best thing in getting Simpkin.

He's a good player/pick-up and look forward to seeing him strut his stuff.

The rest of it "meh". Feels like we were "reaching" with our 30's picks.

Larkey could be anything and seems like a hunch pick which is what you'd expect at that point.

We have a lot of players that can "run through" the midfield but that are not "pure midfielders". Was just hoping for one/one more defined as "pure". A player that is one of "the" midfield and not one that goes "through" the midfield.

Still have the rookie draft though. Hopefully, get some more "value" there a la our trade period.

I haven't and couldn't even hazard a guess at a 22 for next year. There is just so much unknown and so many unknown quantities (specifically at AFL level and/or in our colours) and competition for spots (a definite good thing).

And in all likelihood our "Best 22" for Round 1 2017 will be vastly different than what we perceive our best 22 to be at the Bye round and again at seasons end.

Well.....bring it on! (Undetectable apprehension present:):straining:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back