Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

The extra picks were only the start of it. Free access to NT and north Qld talent plus they were allowed to have an extra 4-6 players on their list.

Assuming no improvement you'd have to think we are entitled to a first round pick - at a minimum.
That's what makes the difference too. You can afford to get a bunch in and see who is the next Rosas or Jefferies.

Agree with all of that list. I think Dumont and Atley are the two in recent times where we erred. Two durable professionals who would be walk up starts if still on our list.
I agree with both, dumonts position on the wing has been a mess this year and although atley had his faults, he would still be an upgrade on turner, Hayden, atu for example

Article literally calls that out:

Rivals will suggest the Roos are the author of their own demise, their coaching and list management decisions own goals they should be forced to own.

But Gold Coast’s cultural issues contributed to the player departures that handed them a priority pick and Brisbane’s own goals – the Brendan Fevola trade and its fallout – led to them putting their hand out in 2016.
Ah yep, they did and that’s probably one of the first articles that has done so. Will be interesting to see if others follow suit.

That's what makes the difference too. You can afford to get a bunch in and see who is the next Rosas or Jefferies.
100% - and that’s exactly what happened!

The fact their extra list spots were opened for untapped NT and Qld talent plus access to state league players has been completely lost in this.

Derrrwayne creams his pants on the ‘gold coast’s ability to unearth such talents as Rosas and Jefferies..” haha leave me alone!..

If you give me 500 shots at a dart board I‘ll hit the bullseye a couple of times too..

No worries, will stay at Arden st then thanks
Rather as a club get back to the top without priority picks and draft concessions then the cheating clubs that have done in the past to get somewhere then they have nothing on the NMFC and we can stick it to them and the AFL

Rather as a club get back to the top without priority picks and draft concessions then the cheating clubs that have done in the past to get somewhere then they have nothing on the NMFC and we can stick it to them and the AFL
Dumb post. When you look up an AFL history booklet and see the Bulldogs won it in 2016, will there be a tiny little asterisk next to the club name saying "received draft concessions"?

What about Demons and Hawks and Pies ?

No.

We have been disadvantaged many times over when other clubs got help. Now it is our turn and you dont want it?

Come on!

The one thing draft assistance will give the club is hope. Because at the moment, the members and sponsors don't have much hope for the NMFC.

Same here. I won't say no to a PP.

Unless it comes with conditions.

Picks 2 finish 17th
pick 3 PP
Pick 19 PP
two NGA picks before the draft
Two state league player then no help next year
excited andy samberg GIF

Mate. Pride has no place in this - we get shafted fixture wise. We were completely shafted in our last build by the expansion teams and missing out on a wealth of draft potential. When the AFL bother to run an even fixture - both financially and on field - I'll start worrying about how we get out of this hole. Do you see Collingwood or Richmond feeling bad about playing 9/10 games at their home ground? Nope.

Didn't Dumont want to do a JHF?
Did he? I thought it was the case that we didn't offer him a spot. He took a mighty risk if it was his decision, given that he was picke dup by Port via the Rookie List.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he? I thought it was the case that we didn't offer him a spot. He took a mighty risk if it was his decision, given that he was picke dup by Port via the Rookie List.

I'm trying to remember the specifics of Dumont shopping himself about, but he did. His injury at the start of the year hurt him twice because it gave him less chance to impress elsewhere and clearly our list management figured he was eventually not required. he didn't really turn it on either when he got the chance. For mine, the only player we finished up that I wish we'd kept.

Atley was a list clogger. A durable list clogger.

He was the ultimate momentum killer - could find the ball but would stop and then make the worst decisions re disposal.
I understand that people think he is a list clogger. I'd equally describe him as a durable professional from whom we know what we would get (good and bad) who stays on the park. I think getting rid of so many of this type in such a short space is part of the reason we are in the hole we are in. Whilst he would not have been around for our next genuine tilt at finals, I reckon anyone who thinks he wouldn't get a game with us right now and that he wouldn't have been a good influence in terms of how to prepare etc is kidding themselves.

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

I heard he wanted to go home after the hub in 2020. (I heard that here tho so it could be rubbish.)

If you compare how involved he was as a spokesperson etc etc before the hub and afterward its miles apart too. Like he was completely disconnected or disengaged after the hub.

I heard he wanted to go home after the hub in 2020. (I heard that here tho so it could be rubbish.)

If you compare how involved he was as a spokesperson etc etc before the hub and afterward its miles apart too. Like he was completely disconnected or disengaged after the hub.
Fair point re his role as spokesperson. He did go a bit quiet. Still a huge risk to go without a Club and no promise of being picked up.

I understand that people think he is a list clogger. I'd equally describe him as a durable professional from whom we know what we would get (good and bad) who stays on the park. I think getting rid of so many of this type in such a short space is part of the reason we are in the hole we are in. Whilst he would not have been around for our next genuine tilt at finals, I reckon anyone who thinks he wouldn't get a game with us right now and that he wouldn't have been a good influence in terms of how to prepare etc is kidding themselves.
Personally I didn’t think keeping Shaun would help us whatsoever on field but you make a good point about his preparation which I’ve heard was very , very good .

But I will say the fact that Shaun rejected a 2 yr deal from another club after we delisted him , shows you his heart wasn’t in it anymore . So I’m not sure how beneficial he would’ve been on or off the field .

Fair point re his role as spokesperson. He did go a bit quiet. Still a huge risk to go without a Club and no promise of being picked up.
Maybe he'd had enough and just wanted to be back in SA near his family. He'd get a SANFL gig in a minute.

By holding off on the PP decision longer we and/or the AFL have inadvertently made stronger case for a better pick.

Say we asked for one last year, if the AFL was feeling generous they could have given us another second round pick or priority access to state league talent and any whinging from other clubs and the media would have died down pretty soon afterwards. And now given how bad we are, the AFL could point to the assistance already given as a reason not to give us more priority picks this year.

But given we now reek of and scrape from the very bowels of sucktitude as well as flitting away our second and third round picks this season for a bag of magic beans it would be much more compelling to give us a first round pick or multiple lower round picks. But I'm not holding my breath about the AFL helping us out as well as this causal/post hoc fallacy in the media around the club not deserving a pick because it brought it upon itself (I'm sure we wanted to be a basket case all along...)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back