Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

We were losing with those players, it is not like we won a flag and delisted 11 champions, we were a bottom four team already.
like the goonies, they could do a "where are they now" special. given that hardly any of them have moved on to any real prominence.

images

The Kangaroos made severe list cuts at the end of 2020, delisting 11 players shortly after the season ended, but the club presents that the number of players axed was fewer than other clubs who had been given AFL assistance over a two-year period.

Twenty-seven players departed Carlton in the two years (2016-17) before it got priority assistance, 23 left Brisbane between across 2014-15, 28 left Gold Coast between 2017-18 and 24 left North between 2020-21

Thank you Cal for putting the myth to bed in two simple paragraphs, that we cut our list too hard so we created our own demise and subsequently don't deserve assistance .. suck the big hairy one AFL "Media"..
Also, the period they are referencing for our 24 delistings was during the time the AFL reduced list sizes. What choice did we have??
Lots of players were delisted league wide at the end of 2020.
I hope this was highlighted by Sonja & Co.

I like it. An “everything must go!” Rug sale.

The problem with that is that the idea makes logical sense, is considered and (comparatively) fair from the opposition’s perspective.

At the end of the day, that just is not in the AFL’s playbook…
You're probably right "logical" and "fair" aren't the first words that come to mind when it comes to most AFL decisions!

Funny thing is my suggestion is basically just normal PPs the way they've been handed out previously, given to the club to use as they see fit, whether that is trading them or taking them to draft. I've said before I don't see why anything we receive should be any different or have criteria attached and I like the idea of putting it on the other clubs to put something fair to us if they don't like the idea of us having a strong draft hand.

But it does seem the conversation around it at the moment is often centred around any assistance being used to trade rather than taken to draft (whether that is how the AFL is leaning, who knows?!) As Archereleven rightly said, picks that had to be traded just won't work.

If it is decided the assistance should be traded for experience, maybe another possibility is we get our draft assistance PPs, whatever that is, with the suggestion that ideally they should be traded. On top of what we receive, there is something small in the future, maybe a 3rd round pick in 2023, which we only get if we do trade this year's pick(s). Whatever the extra is, it should be valued to serve as motivation for us to trade if the deal is close to fair, but be worth losing if we are getting screwed on the trade offers and we are better off taking our PPs this year to the draft.

You're probably right "logical" and "fair" aren't the first words that come to mind when it comes to most AFL decisions!

Funny thing is my suggestion is basically just normal PPs the way they've been handed out previously, given to the club to use as they see fit, whether that is trading them or taking them to draft. I've said before I don't see why anything we receive should be any different or have criteria attached and I like the idea of putting it on the other clubs to put something fair to us if they don't like the idea of us having a strong draft hand.

But it does seem the conversation around it at the moment is often centred around any assistance being used to trade rather than taken to draft (whether that is how the AFL is leaning, who knows?!) As Archereleven rightly said, picks that had to be traded just won't work.

If it is decided the assistance should be traded for experience, maybe another possibility is we get our draft assistance PPs, whatever that is, with the suggestion that ideally they should be traded. On top of what we receive, there is something small in the future, maybe a 3rd round pick in 2023, which we only get if we do trade this year's pick(s). Whatever the extra is, it should be valued to serve as motivation for us to trade if the deal is close to fair, but be worth losing ifs we are getting screwed on the trade offers and we are better off taking our PPs this year to the draft.

I imagine if the AFL had stipulated that a certain portion of the enormous draft concessions GWS and GC were gifted early on had to be dealt like this, both teams would have seen much earlier success, while still keeping a tonne of young guns to start the cycle properly.

Last edited:
Also, the period they are referencing for our 24 delistings was during the time the AFL reduced list sizes. What choice did we have??
Lots of players were delisted league wide at the end of 2020.
I hope this was highlighted by Sonja & Co.
Absolutely, but these facts don’t suit Jabba’s clickbait narrative though mate...

We need a tech savvy Roo supporter put together a Youtube video presentation (something with Mariachi Band music, fireworks and narrated by Morgan Freeman) full of all the FACTS this board has exposed so we could flood the socials with it. tweaks moustache

PS: I would send it directly to the Velvet Sludgehammer himself and tell him to play this one on Monday night instead of the Kindergarten attempt he did a couple of weeks ago and then he can give give Jabba, the 5-minute Fireman and USC a big sloppy kiss each from all of us..

Anyone know how many wins the suns had in the 3 years preceding their PP’s? Comparative to our 2020/21/22 total wins?
GC had 6 wins in 2017, 4 wins 2018 and 3 wins 2019 total of 13 wins in the 3 seasons leading to their PPs
We had 3 wins in 2020, 4.5 wins in 2021 and so far 2 wins 2022 total of 9.5 wins so far.

2020 should probably be averaged out to 4 wins as it was 3 wins from 17 games due to the shortened season, so 4 wins is probably more accurate, making it 10.5 wins so far, but regardless, we would still need to win 3 of our remaining 5 games this season to finish with a better record over three seasons than GC had leading to their PPs.

GC had 6 wins in 2017, 4 wins 2018 and 3 wins 2019 total of 13 wins in the 3 seasons leading to their PPs
We had 3 wins in 2020, 4.5 wins in 2021 and so far 2 wins 2022 total of 9.5 wins so far.

2020 should probably be averaged out to 4 wins as it was 3 wins from 17 games due to the shortened season, so 4 wins is probably more accurate, making it 10.5 wins so far, but regardless, we would still need to win 3 of our remaining 5 games this season to finish with a better record over three seasons than GC had leading to their PPs.

Thanks mate.

If I was the club whenever the question gets asked of us regarding application for priority pick I'd be bringing this up. 'Gold Coast received pick 2,11,19 and academy access ect and won more games in the 3 years preceding this than we have'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hand them over AFL… We need an extra x2 top 10 picks over the next 2 two drafts..

Gives us flexibility then to trade them for some ready made elite talent..

We are bottom three next year too. I hope I’m wrong but i can’t see it.

I am fine not getting a PP under one proviso: the AFL scrap the system altogether and bury it 6ft in a lead-lined coffin.

If this team with its record ver 3 years doesn’t get any compensation then the rest of the AFL can gagf.
Your talking the AFL here they are the most curupt sporting organisation in Australian sport have certain rules for certain clubs and rules for others.
They will do what they want to who ever they want.

Granted we get a PP: We have to trade it in for a bunch of lower draft picks. The top 30 Coleman medal list is littered with players taken in the teens, right out to 50+ in the draft. There are some like Hawkins who if not for being FS would have probably gone top 5-10, Franklin (pick 4) and Jeremy Cameron who was a prelisted 17 YO who most likely would have gone high in the draft.

Because of the "promise vs runs on the board" nature of the KPP vs mids draft debate, midfielders will pretty much always be the top 1-3 picks each year.

Sure, we have seen JUH and Thilthorpe go number 1 in the last few years, but historically it seems that you can get better value from more slightly later picks.

Trade down. Improve the draft hand. Give us more than one stab in the dark.

Pick 19 at best and maybe access to a couple of state league players

We aren’t one of the chosen ones
IF we don't get proper support, all it will mean is we will be having the same discussion about a priority pick for North next year.
Do the other clubs want this?
No.
So they might as well help properly in 2022, so we start to improve and don't have to apply for a priority pick again next year.

So did I hear right GC received about 6000 points in draft concessions and that’s what we are asking for? We aren’t necessarily asking for the first pick as a priority just a package that adds to around those points.

If that’s the case we’ve stuffed up our submission.

Pick one is worth 3000 points, this probably is a good tactic.

I hope Eddie was talking furphies there. Sounds underwhelming asking for a bunch of mid range selections over numerous years.
Nah we can pick what picks we want I think.

Wouldnt it be great if we could pick the 6000 worth of points live during the draft..

Pick one is worth 3000 points, this probably is a good tactic.

Agree, but they way they spoke was we’ve asked for a number of shitty picks that will add to that value.

If they want to match 6000 points the starting point should’ve been pick 1 this and next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back