Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but they way they spoke was we’ve asked for a number of shitty picks that will add to that value.

If they want to match 6000 points the starting point should’ve been pick 1 this and next year.
6000 points would be a lot of shitty picks.

It’ll be a combination of earlier and later picks, as the Suns have had.

Agree, but they way they spoke was we’ve asked for a number of shitty picks that will add to that value.

If they want to match 6000 points the starting point should’ve been pick 1 this and next year.

That’s what I thought I heard too.

nah that was Eddie guessing…

6000 points -

4 PPs around pick 10 over the next two years would be a sexy draft hand.

Something like 1 9 10 in 2022
And 3 9 and 10 in 2023

You'd think we could solve for our list imbalance in that period with this sort of hand.

Not going to happen. But it's a good opening play.

Or if they want to get over and done with in one year our pick 1 pp2 pp3 pp 19 and we are done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When does the AFL generally make decisions about this stuff? After the end of the season I would assume?

I don't see why people are getting bent out of shape.

We are not going to get the same pick repeated until we hit 6000 points. I have huge doubts that:
1) that our submission would lack nuance to the point that that would be what we got
2) the AFL would do that.

It'd be 6000 point spread so something like

Pick 1
Pick 9
pick 19
pick 35

Which totals out at 5939.

given that as a hit to the draft it'd want to be spread across 2 years.

this year

Pick 1 & 19 next year pick 9 & 35.

I like that what we have asked for is significant and is clearly tied to what another side has previously received.

Last edited:

of course this type of priority looks good because Sam Collins turned out great but these concessions were given out before the mid season draft was re-implemented, by the end of the year this year there may not be the same level of assets in the state league as there were back in 2018. If there was a mid-season draft in 2018 there’s very little chance that Gold Coast would have gotten Collins or Corbett by the end of the year (although they would’ve probably gotten one at mid season). This year most of the best state league players have already been taken. If we were to get this type of help it should have been last year when we could’ve had Leek Alleer, a first rounder, instead of this year where you might get a guy who was only worth a late round or rookie pick anyway.

If we're after a 6000 point package I'd like to see something like this.

I Picks 4 and 19 this year.

Pick 19 next year.

Pick 4 the year after.

4+19 = 2982 draft points

So total would be 5964 spread over three years.

Reasonable expectations for first round picks based on ladder position should see us around pick 5 next year and in the range 10-15 for the year after.

Picks 19 and then 4 in the next two years would significantly strengthen our draft hand and give us trade capital and wouldn't push other teams too far back after this year.

If we're after a 6000 point package I'd like to see something like this.

I Picks 4 and 19 this year.

Pick 19 next year.

Pick 4 the year after.

4+19 = 2982 draft points

So total would be 5964 spread over three years.

Reasonable expectations for first round picks based on ladder position should see us around pick 5 next year and in the range 10-15 for the year after.

Picks 19 and then 4 in the next two years would significantly strengthen our draft hand and give us trade capital and wouldn't push other teams too far back after this year.
I’d do it in a year or two, that way the afl can’t take it back Ala the suns because if we start rising the first phone all will be from afl house.

I say burn most of the capital in one year and give the middle finger if people start saying it was too much.

Definitely take any PP upfront for 2022 before the sooks at other clubs have their way. Most are happy for it to get done now before Tassie comes into it and further compromises the draft.

I’d take a combination of say pick 2 or two picks inside the top 20 this year and if that’s it, that’s it. If they give us 19 now and 19 next year Im not so confident itll be on the table next year and we’d get f***** over.
Unless we’re able to trade future priority picks this year that might be something the AFL looks into.

Depending on where we finish on the ladder we get a first round pick after our first selection and then a 2023 1st round pick that must be traded. Imagine what we can get for that and then death ride that selection next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back