Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not holding my breathe, The AFL have never helped us before why do people think they will now. They still want us gone imo.They would sign the papers to do this faster than Campbell, Turner and Garner signed their latest contract extensions.

I'm worried that we're actually going to win games and there are so many teams on the slide contending for high picks. Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, etc.
It will feel like such a waste for one top pick. Hopefully we keep losing and get compo, but don't you have to be last for 3 years to get that?

If we're so pathetically poor as to go winless this season (or close to it) after not making finals since 2016 (and even then only barely), then sure, we're enough of a basket case that some form of AFL assistance is probably warranted, and where that process involves applying for help, doing so would be appropriate. But when we're talking about a league that consistently makes major decisions on a whim, coupled with the decision-making process being officially discretionary, then absolutely nothing can be guaranteed... just don't be surprised if it's some alternative/constrained benefit (an only-for-trading second-round pick or suchlike), rather than the pick 1/pick 2 combo so many of the usual fantasists are already in premature raptures over.

Receiving assistance is, of course, nothing to get excited about. We're a club that's at our best in defiance of the powers that be (whether that's winning flags in the VFA whilst openly courting the rival competition, voting against the 10-year rule in the 1970s then exploiting it to great success, or fighting the league's relocation push in '07 by both securing an unexpected top four finish and reclaiming our Victorian heritage), so debasing ourselves to cap-in-hand grovelling for additional help is about as far from an ideal place for a club like ours to be as you can get, and particularly ridiculous if we're simultaneously spruiking how happy we are sticking to our current path and the exciting future ahead or whatever (it was the "current younger talent" notion specifically that worked against Carlton and GC receiving additional ordinary picks in 2018). But if we really have sunk as far as it currently seems we might have, then there's no shame in honestly acknowledging where we're at and acting accordingly. Here's to hoping it doesn't come to that.

If we're so pathetically poor as to go winless this season (or close to it) after not making finals since 2016 (and even then only barely), then sure, we're enough of a basket case that some form of AFL assistance is probably warranted, and where that process involves applying for help, doing so would be appropriate. But when we're talking about a league that consistently makes major decisions on a whim, coupled with the decision-making process being officially discretionary, then absolutely nothing can be guaranteed... just don't be surprised if it's some alternative/constrained benefit (an only-for-trading second-round pick or suchlike), rather than the pick 1/pick 2 combo so many of the usual fantasists are already in premature raptures over.

Receiving assistance is, of course, nothing to get excited about. We're a club that's at our best in defiance of the powers that be (whether that's winning flags in the VFA whilst openly courting the rival competition, voting against the 10-year rule in the 1970s then exploiting it to great success, or fighting the league's relocation push in '07 by both securing an unexpected top four finish and reclaiming our Victorian heritage), so debasing ourselves to cap-in-hand grovelling for additional help is about as far from an ideal place for a club like ours to be as you can get, and particularly ridiculous if we're simultaneously spruiking how happy we are sticking to our current path and the exciting future ahead or whatever (it was the "current younger talent" notion specifically that worked against Carlton and GC receiving additional ordinary picks in 2018). But if we really have sunk as far as it currently seems we might have, then there's no shame in honestly acknowledging where we're at and acting accordingly. Here's to hoping it doesn't come to that.

I don't think we're that bad tbh. Yeah results will state otherwise , there are reasons of course for that. In no particular order...

* Coachless during pre-season
* new coach
* new game style
* axing of list cloggers that had we kept, we 'd be 2/5 currently and eyeing another middling finish.
* injuries ; Tarrant, Dumont, Anderson, McDonald, Polec, Corr, Perez, Garner, Comben. Seven of those I've named would get a game currently. If you add those seven to the 14 or so we moved on. It should be no surprise we're last.

hence why I'm not concerned and i will also state we aint in GC/Blues level of shitness, not near it. My worry is we'll get back a few and kick the s**t out of the middling or bottom sides. We'd have beaten Geelong with less injuries, I stand by that.

I don't think we're that bad tbh. Yeah results will state otherwise , there are reasons of course for that. In no particular order...

* Coachless during pre-season
* new coach
* new game style
* axing of list cloggers that had we kept, we 'd be 2/5 currently and eyeing another middling finish.
* injuries ; Tarrant, Dumont, Anderson, McDonald, Polec, Corr, Perez, Garner, Comben. Seven of those I've named would get a game currently. If you add those seven to the 14 or so we moved on. It should be no surprise we're last.

hence why I'm not concerned and i will also state we aint in GC/Blues level of shitness, not near it. My worry is we'll get back a few and kick the sh*t out of the middling or bottom sides. We'd have beaten Geelong with less injuries, I stand by that.

"Frog, how's the calf?"......"yeah, ready to go coach"....*kick*......"have another couple of weeks off, fella".....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If GC were in the position we are they’d be given the whole Eastern seaboard as an academy zone plus the first 5 selections in the draft

Folks tend to look just at win-loss records in recent times and compare them with clubs that did get a PP, but another factor that people overlook in the equation is injuries, and we have had an absolute hideous run with that.

we'll get one for sure and I'll enjoy the sweet nectar of a PP. I will savior it, just as I am more than happy with out dead last position. It had to be done and we gawd damn did it.

A few shitmen still left but they won't last long. I know this is tough for some who like B.Scott celebrated ninth place finishes. I'm surprised we didn't release a dvd.

Fancy Carro agreeing with JB that Scott overachieved- a 51% win/loss ratio isn't overachieving, it's ******* shithouse is what it is.
I wouldn't write off pick 2 just quietly and *en lol, imagine the kerfuffle.

The bottom eight sides at the end of the round will have played 48 games for 13 wins, we've a shitload of injuries, what's their excuse? We've played 5 of the top nine teams inside the first six rounds.

Yeah we're s**t, but that's as much to do with the horrid program we've been running for years. Take the PP and watch us go. 2023 we'll be playing finals.

I know there is no set formula for determining PP's or at least that's what we've been told. What are peoples thoughts on us receiving a PP directly after our first pick if we were to finish bottom with say 3 wins or under? Can you receive a priority pick in consecutive years?

Think we will have a good idea this time next week if the PP is a chance

If we can’t beat pies we won’t win more than 3 games Again and that should get us a PP

What are peoples thoughts re PP? Would you rather win 4 or 5 later this year showing glimpses of the future or win 1-2 games this year finish bottom and get picks 1 and 2?

What are peoples thoughts re PP? Would you rather win 4 or 5 later this year showing glimpses of the future or win 1-2 games this year finish bottom and get picks 1 and 2?
If it’s win 4-5 games and miss on PP

Vs win less than 3 games and get PP

I’m taking the latter, couple of extra meaningless wins that don’t change our position but costing us another first rounder would not be beneficial long term

If we win four or five later this year doesn't that mean we are turning the corner and beginning our inevitable rise. That would be more games than we have won in the rest of the previous two seasons.

Think would like to turn the corner like the crows at the end of the year with the number 1 pick in the bag. Rather than win 2 or 3 midseason and give the other teams the opportunity to tank. STill go every week and cheer them on to win each match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back