Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well, there you go.

I did do some checking up on round 7 and they have slightly edged ahead of 1931.

1620095333077.png

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
At the end of 2019 Gold Coast had won 7 games in the two previous years and received compensation pick 1 first pick of round 2 and pick 11 in the next year draft as well as extra concessions for zone players academy players etc. Kangas won 3 games last year hard to see us winning 4 this year what will the AFL give us?

The rules that apply to the Gold Coast don't apply to everyone else.

At the same time GC were s**t, so were Carlton. From 2015 we finished:
  • 18th (4 wins, 64%),
  • 14th (7 wins, 79%),
  • 16th (6 wins, 78%),
  • 18th (2 wins, 59%) and
  • 16th (7 wins, 84%)
for a total of 2 spoons, and 26 wins from 110 matches over those 5 years.

By any reading of the AFL's 'guidelines' for determining a PP, we clearly hit the metric (sustained shitness, no finals, poor percentage etc).

We also asked for a PP on the AFLs invitation, along with the GC. We didn't get so much as a second rounder, while GC got multiple 1sts (including pick 1, which they used on Rowell).

After 5 years of utter s**t, the AFL offered us priority access to a mature age 2's player. That was it.

I dont want to deflate your hope here, but I wouldnt be relying on the AFL using GC as an example, particularly seeing as the AFL have tried to forcibly relocate you guys in the past (in the name of expansion). It's no secret that the AFL considers expansion (and successful expansion clubs) to be its number 1 priority.

Good luck if you do get one though, but I reckon we'd be rightfully aggrieved over at Carlton if you do.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Good luck if you do get one though, but I reckon we'd be rightfully aggrieved over at Carlton if you do.

There's other factors besides wins & losses in the formula.

What was Carlton's injury toll during that period? North's has bordered on catastrophic since the midway point of 2016.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

What was Carlton's injury toll during that period? North's has bordered on catastrophic since the midway point of 2016.

Won’t our injuries work against us getting draft assistance?
They can pretty much say if you get your injury management right then you’ll be more competitive.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Won’t our injuries work against us getting draft assistance?
They can pretty much say if you get your injury management right then you’ll be more competitive.

No. Injuries are a factor in the calculations.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's been reported in several media sources.

How does a team receive a priority pick?

Previously a priority was given based on final finishing positions of teams. In 2012 the system was tweaked when all 18 clubs voted to revamp the criteria of priority picks in an attempt to avoid corruption.

The final decision is now at the complete discretion of the AFL as opposed to relating purely to finishing position.

Several factors determine whether a club is offered a priority draft pick:

The number of premiership points that a club has received over a period of years is taken into consideration, with greater weight being offered to more recent seasons.

A club’s point percentage (points for/points against x100) over a period of years is also taken into consideration. Again, there is an emphasis on recent seasons for weighting.

Finals appearances and premiership wins in recent seasons are also taken into account.

The AFL will also consider a club’s injury rates in each relevant season.

Previously a priority was given based on final finishing positions of teams. In 2012 the system was tweaked when all 18 clubs voted to revamp the criteria of priority picks in an attempt to avoid corruption.

The final decision is now at the complete discretion of the AFL as opposed to relating purely to finishing position.

The number of premiership points that a club has received over a period of years is taken into consideration, with greater weight being offered to more recent seasons.

A club’s point percentage (points for/points against x100) over a period of years is also taken into consideration. Again, there is an emphasis on recent seasons for weighting.

Finals appearances and premiership wins in recent seasons are also taken into account.

So no fact, just an assumption. All the above states is that the injury list will be considered. It doesn't state a large injury list gives you a better chance of a priority pick. Any rational person understands that a large injury list will work against the allocation of a priority pick. We're not as bad as we seem because of our injury list. We still have Anderson, Polec, Taz, Dumont, McDonald and Corr to come back into the side. Why would the AFL give us a priority pick as well?

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

Injuries actually tip the scales against you (the rationale being if you're s**t simply due to injuries for a year, you're not really s**t).

For us over that time, we had Docherty doing 2 knees (off the back of an AA year), Marchbank and more recently C Curnow for 2 years. They're all pretty important players for us.

We had to trade out everyone of value (Gibbs, Henderson, Yarran, Touhy) for extra 1st round picks, and embrace the suck for a few years to basically draft in what we have now (plus taking on salary dumps to use our cap space as a weapon to get in reasonable players from GWS for cheap) plus taking risks like what we did with the Stocker trade with Adelaide.

Hopefully with a young list with an upwards trajectory we can then use F/A and get in players to help us take the next step.

It's what I would do if I was you blokes. Everyone over 24 is fair game; trade them out for extra picks, use your cap space on DFA's (older players to protect the kids) or for Salary dumps for clubs tight on cap space, and embrace the suck for a few years. Trading out a Ziebull or similar is going to hurt, but it's worth it in the long term.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I still interpret the injury thing the opposite way.

But anyway, in the end the AFL will just make it up as they go and do what they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

But anyway, in the end the AFL will just make it up as they go and do what they want.

Pretty much. Their focus is expansion, and those clubs. Academies, COLA, priority picks and 'special marketing allowance' or whatever it takes.

In the past the AFL has actually preferred having North on its knees (trying to force you guys to relocate, or merge). That's not a diss against North, that's a diss against the AFL. That said, it doesnt give me any hope that they'll go out of their way to throw priority picks your way, if things go south.

If things go completely pear shaped, the AFL have runs on the board in screwing you guys over, not in helping you out.

No it does factor in, but mostly against you. If the Dogs had a few sh*t years on the back of Bont and Smith doing knees, that wouldnt assist them in asking for a priority pick; it would have the opposite effect.

It's basically temporary shitness due to injury.
Try reading the rest of my post.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

You can always try to pitch a strong case.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Injuries actually tip the scales against you (the rationale being if you're sh*t simply due to injuries for a year, you're not really sh*t).

I suspect that plays out with players lost for good.

Why would the AFL give us a priority pick as well?

It wouldn't surprise me that if we do ask, any request is accompanied by a report penned by Paul Roos as to why we are deserving of one and the impact that it would have on us.

His appointment screams strategic political play. The club hire a golden son to come in and effectively protect it in a year where we knew we'd have significant down turn in attendance. He's insurance.

I have been vocal in this thread saying we won't get one. If we win the spoon I expect we will ask and that we will do so by using someone the AFL trust to recommend it.

I personally don't believe that priority picks work in the way they did. I mean they did for Collingwood and Hawthorn but the rules have drastically changed since then.

A priority pick with all our injuries would likely do more to move us from the bottom long term than what one would do if we were uninjured and just plain s**t. Which in turn is probably another factor in why we won't get one.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
* priority picks. The best thing the AFL could do to assist ALL clubs when they are in a downturn is to fix the draft.
No father-son. No academies or NGA zones. No free agency compo.
Then you won't get the number one pick going to a top 8 team, or teams cashing in junk picks to take two in the top 10.
Priority picks are just a band aid. GWS may have had marginally better concessions than Gold Coast but that's not why they played in a grand final while GC are yet to play a final. Far better to identify and find solutions to root causes, for example through soft cap measures.

fu** priority picks. The best thing the AFL could do to assist ALL clubs when they are in a downturn is to fix the draft.
No father-son. No academies or NGA zones. No free agency compo.
Then you won't get the number one pick going to a top 8 team, or teams cashing in junk picks to take two in the top 10.
Priority picks are just a band aid. GWS may have had marginally better concessions than Gold Coast but that's not why they played in a grand final while GC are yet to play a final. Far better to identify and find solutions to root causes, for example through soft cap measures.
Isn’t a root cause of GC the go-home factor? And thus the academy is a solution?

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Isn’t a root cause of GC the go-home factor? And thus the academy is a solution?
Yes, but the academy does not address it. You are not going to create a pool of players in Southern Queensland to make a viable team.
To be competitive you have to accept they will need a pool of players from the traditional football states and create an environment where they want to stay and play for the team.
Fwiw they appear to be doing that now.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty much. Their focus is expansion, and those clubs. Academies, COLA, priority picks and 'special marketing allowance' or whatever it takes.

In the past the AFL has actually preferred having North on its knees (trying to force you guys to relocate, or merge). That's not a diss against North, that's a diss against the AFL. That said, it doesnt give me any hope that they'll go out of their way to throw priority picks your way, if things go south.

If things go completely pear shaped, the AFL have runs on the board in screwing you guys over, not in helping you out.

No, you actually misunderstand the current function of the PP.

It's not there to help with the AFL's investment in QLD.

It's there as a way to appease the broadcaster.

Lewis Martin and Patrick Delaney gave Gil an ultimatum to get the GC competitive by whatever means necessary by the next broadcast rights deal. They were devaluing their product and it wasn't what they paid for. It's a function that enables the AFL to fix part of their product by whatever means necessary.

At the moment the same conversations are being had as a way to fix North and the current situation in which 11% of Channel 7 and Fox's product has turned to uncompetitive s**t each week for the last 20+ games, that may stretch into 35+.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So if we get the priority pick do we take the 2 best which are both mids in Horne and Sonsie

Or do we take a JVR the best key forward in combo with one of the above

Hey, where have you been knackers?:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back