Draft Combine Invitees & Results

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine that Brad Hill, Elliott Yeo, and Ahmed Saad, among others, have all improved their standings as a result of their Draft Combine results.

3km time trial record broken

from melbourne TV video
sorry video wont go past 1.07mins so don't know who

Hill vs WHE was great viewing in the final lap.
The two of them broke away and lead the pack the whole race - they were actually chatting to each other as they ran, then on the last lap WHE got ahead early and looked to have Hill beaten before he burst ahead in the last 30 metres or so.

WHE has really helped his cause this combine and cemented his place in the top 10 or earlier.

Also was really impressed with Brandon Ellis this week. A real competitor and tested really well for such a solid kid.

Apparently the top 10 for the 3km time trial is not quite correct. Jack Crisp also ran 10.32, Jackson Merrett 10.35 and Frazer Dale 10.36 but they are not listed.

Jackson Allen also ran 10.21

"Apparently the top 10 for the 3km time trial is not quite correct. Jack Crisp also ran 10.32, Jackson Merrett 10.35 and Frazer Dale 10.36 but they are not listed"

There could quite possibly be more. I would imagine this to be very disappointing to the boys involved not having their efforts recognized. How could the AFL stuff this up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for those who know more about u-18 players. It seems over the past few seasons that a fair percentage of players are injured at the time of the draft camp/combine. Is it a case of the season just finished causing this, the timing of the camp/combine or are players deciding to sit out tests if they're not 100% (fit enough that they'd play a match if they had one though) because testing poorly might be considered worse than not testing at all?

Question for those who know more about u-18 players. It seems over the past few seasons that a fair percentage of players are injured at the time of the draft camp/combine. Is it a case of the season just finished causing this, the timing of the camp/combine or are players deciding to sit out tests if they're not 100% (fit enough that they'd play a match if they had one though) because testing poorly might be considered worse than not testing at all?

All of the above...

No point completing tests if you are not 100%.

I was at the combine on Thursday with a media pass. It was pretty cool being able to speak to coaches on different topics. Just a quick question. How many players get drafted each year? And how many actually nominate for the draft?
Normally about 70 in main draft, a handful in the PSD, and another 60-70 in the rookie draft - so somewhere near 150 all up

Dunno hw many add their name in, each year. Prolly 3 or 4 hundred.
But the names stay in the pool for a couple of years after being nominated, so effectively maybe 800 are nominated any given year.

I was under the impression you had to be associated with a state-level team. Eg, playing colts in the WAFL minimum.

Re: Draft Combine Invitees

Sprint testing appears to have been done today...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124661/default.aspx

Not many surprises there. Well known that Saad and Taylor are fast, while Dalgleish is also a sprinter. Shane Nelson and Alex Woodward were probably the big winners though, as generally inside players I wouldn't say they're exactly known for their speed.

Chad Wingard also went under 3 seconds, very good for him. Some other first round prospects like Buntine, Ellis and Tyson were all just over that 3 second mark.
Thought you guys might like to know.
Jordan Murdoch ran a 2.76 at the state camp yesterday(played Glenelg Ressies G.F. last Saturday), went O.K. at other disiplines as well..

Oh right. So you can nominate for the draft regardless then?

Now that I think about it, when we picked up Lewis Broome, I don't think he was registered in the WAFL was he? Could be wrong.

Lewis was playing with Claremont. you must be playing for a WAFL club (or state equivalent) to nominate for the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back