Draft Comparison - Billy Hartung

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill still certainly has alot to offer but obviously still a fair bit to learn and work on. We all know how quick he is and how good his tank is. As someone mentioned above, watching a player like Johanissen would certainly be of great benefit to him.

With Hill leaving, the opportunity is there for him to advance his game and prove himself worthy of a senior spot. From the top of my head, he hasn't many players challenging him in terms of pure combined speed and stamina so that will either work in his favor or keep him from pushing on

Wish we had Merrett. He's a gun.

Billy leaves a lot to be desired. Will be a good player but seems like he plays with something holding him back. Needs to get the voice out of his head.

Asking Hartung to be contest ball winner would be like asking Mitchell to run down the wing all day.
Mitchell would still find a way to outwit it, and he'd give it a good couple of divots with his knee on the way.

Hartung runs in very straight lines. The closet player in the league to him is Scully. Scully has the edge in virtually every facet of the game but most importantly he handles pressure, especially physical pressure, a lot better and is willing to take a tackle in order to free up a team mate rather than run around in circles before giving off to a man under pressure. A player that looked a lot better as sub. Wonder had we know the sub rule wouldn't be ditched would we still have picked him.

Hartung runs in very straight lines. The closet player in the league to him is Scully. Scully has the edge in virtually every facet of the game but most importantly he handles pressure, especially physical pressure, a lot better and is willing to take a tackle in order to free up a team mate rather than run around in circles before giving off to a man under pressure. A player that looked a lot better as sub. Wonder had we know the sub rule wouldn't be ditched would we still have picked him.
Scully is also 4 years older, christ people expect Hartung to be an already developed player, been in the system the same length as Sicily. Hartung will make alot of people look stupid when he gets more time under his belt.

Scully is also 4 years older, christ people expect Hartung to be an already developed player, been in the system the same length as Sicily. Hartung will make alot of people look stupid when he gets more time under his belt.

I hope so. I want to made to feel stupid by this guy.

Hartung needs I mprovement. He's still very light, I know this helps with his running but still needs to do work eg in the gym.
I can see comparisons with Scully so with that in mind he needs to have a physical presence as well as some defensive improvement and
better decision making.
There could be a chance that he is trade bait for players we are chasing.
Hill leaving leaves it more unlikely but what if GC want him for the JOM trade?

Hartung's trajectory is flat though which is the real problem. He doesn't look like he will ever have the physical attributes to be as good as Scully because he is even smaller bodied. He certainly doesn't have the willingness to accept contact or the instincts under pressure that Scully displayed even as a 17 year old. What I am trying to say here is that the best imaginable outcome would be for hartung to play like Scully but to date he hasn't shown enough of the attributes required. Not even talking performance, I'm talking foundational attributes.

Hartung is a hbf trapped in a hff's body. It's not a good mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hartung is a hbf trapped in a hff's body. It's not a good mix.

He does seem to be very one directional, just doesn't seem to have great poise or lateral movement.

That said, he's done some bloody handy things - helped as win against north at the dome this year.

But I don't think we can expect him to be anything other than an endurance beast, with the odd win or two in a contest. Hopefully he becomes so good at what he does, that will be enough to keep him in.

After having his name floated around for a month as possible trade, Billy must know his career is at the crossroads so let's prayer this really stings him into action and he gets about of mongrel about him. Even after trading Hill we were still prepared to sacrifice him except neither Brisbane or the Suns wanted him!

Fire up Billy and show you are a legitimate long term player for the HFC!

After having his name floated around for a month as possible trade, Billy must know his career is at the crossroads so let's prayer this really stings him into action and he gets about of mongrel about him. Even after trading Hill we were still prepared to sacrifice him except neither Brisbane or the Suns wanted him!
Fire up Billy and show you are a legitimate long term player for the HFC!

Realistically, Billy would have improved both of those lists.
GC only wanted Smith or Shiels though. #dreaming
No idea what Brisbane were thinking.

When I first saw him I wondered if he could put on a bit of muscle and show some of the traits of Crawf (although obviously not expecting him to be a Brownlow winner). Both super fit, similar height. I realise now I was miles off.

Billy's running is elite. Improving it further won't improve him substantially as a player. To improve he has to get stronger and more physical. Smith's a bigger guy, but he's an example of a bloke that has been able to improve at the contest. There are plenty of blokes Billy's height who can match it physically - a bunch of them just one a flag actually...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Billy will go to the next level next season. He can finally play on a wing and have his spot

You've nailed it.

I think even if Hill stayed Billy would have had a break out year in 2017 but now that Hill has gone I fully expect Hartung to explode.

Showed glimpses of toughness this year and the one play that sticks at for me was when we played North at Ethiad where he won the hard ball at HFF burnt off the player he beat and ran on and kicked a very good goal.

Has shown enough too suggest he will just get better.

As much as I want to see Billy succeed, I now feel sick in guts watching him knowing we could have had Zac Merrett.
His football seems to be going backward and nothing he has showed in the pre-season suggests otherwise.
With Hilly leaving, he would have seemed a lock for our best 22 but he is borderline at best for round 1.

As much as I want to see Billy succeed, I now feel sick in guts watching him knowing we could have had Zac Merrett.
His football seems to be going backward and nothing he has showed in the pre-season suggests otherwise.
With Hilly leaving, he would have seemed a lock for our best 22 but he is borderline at best for round 1.
I'm glad you're not a talent scout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back