Game Day Draft Day 2019! Picks: 7, 8, 9, 67, 82, 86, 88

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting that we picked up three of the best players who played in the deciding game of the u18s - Henry vs Serong + Young

And we added three of the best players from the Colts GF - Butters + Leno vs Pina

Henry would have played both games if not injured.

Next year we'll pick up Western who was also instrumental in Claremont Colt's win as a bottom ager. And at the last mid-season draft we picked up O'Reilly who was key to East Freo's Colt's premiership as a bottom ager as well.

Seems our recruiters rate being able to perform in finals quite highly. No wonder we passed on Darling.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting that we picked up three of the best players who played in the deciding game of the u18s - Henry vs Serong + Young

And we added three of the best players from the Colts GF - Butters + Leno vs Pina

Henry would have played both games if not injured.

Next year we'll pick up Western who was also instrumental in Claremont Colt's win as a bottom ager. And at the last mid-season draft we picked up O'Reilly who was key to East Freo's Colt's premiership as a bottom ager as well.

Seems our recruiters rate being able to perform in finals quite highly. No wonder we passed on Darling.
Michael (Minairo) Frederick was BOG in the SANFL colts GF as well.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Filling our list up for the first time in a few seasons, is this maybe a strategy moving forward with the severing ties with Peel at the end of next season?

I'm out of touch re the latest on this....so if we are finished with Peel in 2021 where will our players play who are not selected in AFL games? Are we having our own WAFL side?

Feb 18, 2014
Victorian Cheer Squad
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Leyton Orient, Peel, Glory, MU, TCU
I'm out of touch re the latest on this....so if we are finished with Peel in 2021 where will our players play who are not selected in AFL games? Are we having our own WAFL side?

We're not going to switch alignment clubs to another existing WAFL side - we'll either remain with Peel, establish our own WAFL reserves team, or a national reserves league will finally happen.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My assessment and rating of Draft period:

Pre-draft pick trading: B+ grade
The trades with Adelaide and Melbourne ended up having an excellent outcome to acquire pick 8. Marked down slightly because we could have pushed Adelaide into handing us pick 45 instead of 49 (-60pts). Would have been nice hanging onto a 2020 4th rounder as well. That would be nit picking to be fair.

ND Selections: A grade
Can’t fault our first 3 selections and having three top 10 draft picks is very rare.
Don’t mind the selection of Frederick either as a project player in an area of need. He really developed in the later part of the season both his football and body.

Live Trading: D- grade
It wasn’t a disaster but an honest and frank assessment of this, is it can be improved significantly. I like what the SA clubs do in live trading. Not convinced by Carlton’s strategy the last 2-years; too high risk for mine.

We should have done an earlier trade prior to or at the time of our first pick. Even the trade with Port if done in advance could have set us up better and not left us sitting like lame ducks. We could have just done a swap of 52 & 55 for 2020 2nd and knowing we could only use four picks then package up two of the picks even something like 52 & 66 for 51. Leave us with 49+51+55+58 (923pts). We also should have placed a bid on Green at pick 8. Watching the likes of Carlton, Essendon and Richmond - I don’t care anymore about keeping a good relationship. Don’t be crazy with the bid but GWS wouldn’t have blinked twice if he was bid at 8. The bid would have given us more time to execute the pick swap trades.

Either get someone better in this role and move Micalleff into a support role or send him off the NFL/NBA to learn because we need to get better. Even the late round trades. They need to be left until the last minute. We pulled the trigger too early. Our friends up the road executed their trade to acquire 58 just perfectly. Montagna announced the club was on the clock and then WC executed the trade for that pick then - bingo they get their man.

Rookie Draft: B+ grade
Via 2019 mid season draft and the Rookie draft we have acquired two decent players. O’Reilly needed the extra AFL pre-season both in and after the season. I like Pina and was worth waiting for him. He had opportunity to play U18’s and Peel League. Has speed and neat kicking skills. Like the Cat-B rookies as well. Does prepare us well for likely separation from Peel.

If we get an injury to a ruckman we can see who is performing in the state leagues and pick up a Ruckman at that time.

Overall - B grade

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle

The trades with Adelaide and Melbourne ended up having an excellent outcome to acquire pick 8. Marked down slightly because we could have pushed Adelaide into handing us pick 45 instead of 49 (-60pts). Would have been nice hanging onto a 2020 4th rounder as well. That would be nit picking to be fair.

Can’t fault our first 3 selections and having three top 10 draft picks is very rare.
Don’t mind the selection of Frederick either as a project player in an area of need. He really developed in the later part of the season both his football and body.

It wasn’t a disaster but an honest and frank assessment of this, is it can be improved significantly. I like what the SA clubs do in live trading. Not convinced by Carlton’s strategy the last 2-years; too high risk for mine.

We should have done an earlier trade prior to or at the time of our first pick. Even the trade with Port if done in advance could have set us up better and not left us sitting like lame ducks. We could have just done a swap of 52 & 55 for 2020 2nd and knowing we could only use four picks then package up two of the picks even something like 52 & 66 for 51. Leave us with 49+51+55+58 (923pts). We also should have placed a bid on Green at pick 8. Watching the likes of Carlton, Essendon and Richmond - I don’t care anymore about keeping a good relationship. Don’t be crazy with the bid but GWS wouldn’t have blinked twice if he was bid at 8. The bid would have given us more time to execute the pick swap trades.

Either get someone better in this role and move Micalleff into a support role or send him off the NFL/NBA to learn because we need to get better. Even the late round trades. They need to be left until the last minute. We pulled the trigger too early. Our friends up the road executed their trade to acquire 58 just perfectly. Montagna announced the club was on the clock and then WC executed the trade for that pick then - bingo they get their man.

Via 2019 mid season draft and the Rookie draft we have acquired two decent players. O’Reilly needed the extra AFL pre-season both in and after the season. I like Pina and was worth waiting for him. He had opportunity to play U18’s and Peel League. Has speed and neat kicking skills. Like the Cat-B rookies as well. Does prepare us well for likely separation from Peel.

If we get an injury to a ruckman we can see who is performing in the state leagues and pick up a Ruckman at that time.

Overall - B grade

Good assessment of the period. What I like is that picking the right players is 99% of the job and we ******* smashed that IMO.

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks

Overall - B grade

Good stuff. I think if we weighted the components appropriately - i.e. ND most important, live trading least - we would come up with at least a borderline A. I'm happy in any case!

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good stuff. I think if we weighted the components appropriately - i.e. ND most important, live trading least - we would come up with at least a borderline A. I'm happy in any case!
Was close to rating overall B+

But we aren’t left in the best position we could have been for 2020. Happy wit still have a first and second.

-100pts or less deficit and a 4th rounder would have upgraded to B+ or A-

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
I think Freo have indicated that the alignment will not be renewed - in lieu of the West Coast having a stand-alone team, I would say this is what may happen with Fremantle.
If that is the case I want to see the club re-establish it’s roots at Fremantle oval for home games.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Filling our list up for the first time in a few seasons, is this maybe a strategy moving forward with the severing ties with Peel at the end of next season?
All reports link Peel to going their own way.
Don’t think they’ll benefit from it. Freo helped them develop in colts. Now they’ll be playing catch up like East Perth.
Freo getting a new WAFL team won’t change too much. Top up with Ex WAFL/AFL list cloggers. Like Brady Grey to West Coast WAFL.

Freo88

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2011
Up North
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Stars & Fulham-the other FFC
I think Freo have indicated that the alignment will not be renewed - in lieu of the West Coast having a stand-alone team, I would say this is what may happen with Fremantle.
If that is the case I want to see the club re-establish it’s roots at Fremantle oval for home games.
We wouldn't get any home games - which is the arrangement for West Coast's WAFL team.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
We wouldn't get any home games - which is the arrangement for West Coast's WAFL team.
I know what you are alluding to, but by virtue of our heritage and club name - we are FREMANTLE not anywhere in WA West Coast.
Any game played at Freo oval is spiritual home - is Freo oval not the home ground for the AFLW team ?

Awesome of Longmuir to stop in SA and welcome the lad.

I don’t think this is getting enough recognition for what a difference this is culturally from the previous regime.

Back