Game Day Draft Day 2019! Picks: 7, 8, 9, 67, 82, 86, 88

Remove this Banner Ad

It is contrived when laid out but if I were employed at the club as the player welfare officer I'd have a spreadsheet with booked in time for the coach to ring the players parents and let them know how it's all going.

Especially if there is family stuff going on, I'd be able to send him an email with key discussion points to prompt him about important family things or remind him of stories etc. Giving the impression of remembering it all.

And that's if he didn't already.

Perception is nine tenths of reality. The coach keeps in the loop of anything he needs to be extra supportive or back off on, the family are part of our freo family and the player knows he matters to us
Absolutely and I'd be betting that needs tracking stuff is what they've been doing for a while. They've definitely kept regular contact with the family in the early years of a players stay and it's been standard practice to fly the parents over, tour the facilities as to build familiarity and accessibility of communication/contact to the club and do that a few times.

Absolutely and I'd be betting that needs tracking stuff is what they've been doing for a while. They've definitely kept regular contact with the family in the early years of a players stay and it's been standard practice to fly the parents over, tour the facilities as to build familiarity and accessibility of communication/contact to the club and do that a few times.

There is no doubt Fremantle make an effort to involve families of the players.

I was talking to one of the training watchers a while back, and he said that one of the player’s family members was very impressed by the level of interest and caring shown by the coach of Brisbane towards another player and their family. From what I was told, he compared Lyon unfavourably to Fagan. I am not accusing Fagan of trying to poach or anything untoward, by the way.

Families of footballers do talk and make comparisons. As a club we need to keep improving.

Jack Martin was all about making a point on retention, picks are devalued currency for them, in a similar way they have been to Carltoon at times. Retention means more, as does poaching, hence the Weller willingness.

It's good for the national game that they succeed and wanting them to fail is fairly irrational for most outside of Vic-traditionalist-chauvinism-land.

For them now is king, so it isn't bad strategy they get kids they want and get the development into them sooner rather than later.
I didn’t say I did or don’t want them to fail.

Drives me insane their mixed messages and conflicted views. They want draft picks they don’t want draft picks, they need draft picks from the AFL to survive.

I get the Weller one, I also understand the champagne moment with Ben King. But to cry out for mercy and receive never before seen draft pick gifts to then just throw away is very frustrating.

Especially saying to Carlton nope we have so many good draft picks what you have to offer ain’t worth s*#t. Then throw them away like a desperate child in a lowly shop. Irresponsible as someone described.

The messaging from the club is all over the place. “It’s not about the points rubbish” I read today rally got my goat up.

Rant over.

Last edited:
It is contrived when laid out but if I were employed at the club as the player welfare officer I'd have a spreadsheet with booked in time for the coach to ring the players parents and let them know how it's all going.

Especially if there is family stuff going on, I'd be able to send him an email with key discussion points to prompt him about important family things or remind him of stories etc. Giving the impression of remembering it all.

Perception is nine tenths of reality. The coach keeps in the loop of anything he needs to be extra supportive or back off on, the family are part of our freo family and the player knows he matters to us
Oh and I'm not saying it's contrived, but it is a classic thing you do when you're new to a job and full of vim and vigor, but maybe question whether it's the most efficient use of your time.

Of course he may also have an approach that it is an efficient use

Just want to say a couple of things.

Firstly, well ******* done. You moved up. You got a couple of ripping vic country kids. And a pure silk flanker. I massively rate 2 (Young and Henry) and the other is as tough as nails. I think I said you should take Stephens before Serong. Clearly the Sydney recruiter agreed! All three will play 200 games. Sky is the limit on two. Def AA potential.

Secondly, thank you for letting me join in the chat a bit. You were largely quite welcoming. Makes a change on bigfooty. Credit to you all.

I’ve had a fun off season. You guys def added to it.

Go my (second) favourite team!

There is no doubt Fremantle make an effort to involve families of the players.

I was talking to one of the training watchers a while back, and he said that one of the player’s family members was very impressed by the level of interest and caring shown by the coach of Brisbane towards another player and their family. From what I was told, he compared Lyon unfavourably to Fagan. I am not accusing Fagan of trying to poach or anything untoward, by the way.

Families of footballers do talk and make comparisons. As a club we need to keep improving.
It's all hard to know without first hand experience (which unfortunately "someone told me that someone told them..." doesn't really meet the evidence standard for me), but I've not heard any ex-player or family member explicitly say they felt uncared for or anything less that they felt well connected to the club and the players felt part of a caring environment.

I think though the initial impressions stuff is important, but definitely the shallower end of the wedge. It certainly can be splashy enough to dominate the narrative.

Just want to say a couple of things.

Firstly, well ******* done. You moved up. You got a couple of ripping vic country kids. And a pure silk flanker. I massively rate 2 (Young and Henry) and the other is as tough as nails. I think I said you should take Stephens before Serong. Clearly the Sydney recruiter agreed! All three will play 200 games. Sky is the limit on two. Def AA potential.

Secondly, thank you for letting me join in the chat a bit. You were largely quite welcoming. Makes a change on bigfooty. Credit to you all.

I’ve had a fun off season. You guys def added to it.

Go my (second) favourite team!
You came with sensibility.

Carlton had a good outcome with the pick splitting but for mine it is a little too high risk. Same goes with the swap last year. Was very close to being a terrible outcome. If they had the option to trade up to 6 (Young) or the downgrade that they did (Kemp) what you prefer?

One thing that did annoy me a little was Henry being bid before Green. But we should have taken that out of Carlton’s hands by placing a bid on Green at 8.

It's all hard to know without first hand experience (which unfortunately "someone told me that someone told them..." doesn't really meet the evidence standard for me), but I've not heard any ex-player or family member explicitly say they felt uncared for or anything less that they felt well connected to the club and the players felt part of a caring environment.

I think though the initial impressions stuff is important, but definitely the shallower end of the wedge. It certainly can be splashy enough to dominate the narrative.

Yeh, fair enough. I’ve been quite careful not to expose the names of the players involved.

The talk was mainly about how Fagan gave his time and consideration above and beyond their expectations, based on their experience. That characterisation of Fagan has definitely found its way into the media. It’s not that big a leap that a parent would see what’s happening at another club and compare it to their club and coach.

I agree that initial impressions are important, but that any unfavourable impressions at any stage can have ramifications down the road. It’s a difficult gig now.

I didn’t say I did or don’t want them to fail.

Drives me insane their mixed messages and conflicted views. They want draft picks they don’t want draft picks, they need draft picks from the AFL to survive.

I get the Weller one, I also understand the champagne moment with Ben King. But to cry out for mercy and receive never before seen draft pick gifts to then just throw away is very frustrating.

Especially saying to Carlton nope we have so many good draft picks what you have to offer ain’t worth s*#t. Then throw them away like a desperate child in a lowly shop. Irresponsible as someone described.

The messaging from the club is all over the place. “It’s not about the points rubbish” I read today rally got my goat up.

Rant over.
The succeed/fail thing was in response to where the thread went with the 'gus.

I understand the frustration with selling next year's pick 11 so cheaply. You can sort of think that 2020 extra was given with a mind to building in a structural advantage across drafts. But I guess if they're looking at 2020's draft and seeing no-one in that range (or beyond with the f/s and nga's etc) they feel is as good as Sharp, then it's canny for them to see the player over the pick. Right to question it though.

Yeh, fair enough. I’ve been quite careful not to expose the names of the players involved.

The talk was mainly about how Fagan gave his time and consideration above and beyond their expectations, based on their experience. That characterisation of Fagan has definitely found its way into the media. It’s not that big a leap that a parent would see what’s happening at another club and compare it to their club and coach.

I agree that initial impressions are important, but that any unfavourable impressions at any stage can have ramifications down the road. It’s a difficult gig now.
I'd just wonder how much parents/families impressions carry at contract time. I'd bet the team aura carries much much more than the coach flying in to their house proximate to the draft. Winning is a salve for most things in footy world too. Absent of winning, selling a vision probably helps.

I like the idea of doing that bit extra to forge deeper connections, more broadly and early in, but there are also many ways to skin a cat.

Your basically talking about the Brisbane model (which I presume was deliberate) but it must be understood that their coaching structure is completely different to Fremantle under Ross.

Fagan is a manager in the mould of Alex Ferguson & instructs his assistants on what he wants from a training session & let’s his assistants run the session.

They educate themselves for their role with most ideas going through David Noble, who basically was Brisbane’s head coach under the manager, Fagan.

This allows Fagan to build relationships with his players in a different way to your traditional coach & helps build trust & respect between the players, players families & coach.

It clearly works & this club will benefit from a similar structure under JLo.

You came with sensibility.

Carlton had a good outcome with the pick splitting but for mine it is a little too high risk. Same goes with the swap last year. Was very close to being a terrible outcome. If they had the option to trade up to 6 (Young) or the downgrade that they did (Kemp) what you prefer?

One thing that did annoy me a little was Henry being bid before Green. But we should have taken that out of Carlton’s hands by placing a bid on Green at 8.
I’d have preferred to trade up and get Young. Rumour has it we tried and thought we had a deal with Crows but to no avail.

Trading down was ok. I rated Flanders.
Club didn’t - not sure why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane have not matched on 2 x Academy players and a F/S!
We wanted Prior. Have more of a need for young hbf.

We also have some potentially better outside mids in our academy next year, and Coleman’s little brother who is basically a slightly taller Henry as well next year.

We had nominated Lachie Johnson for the rookie draft, but didn’t have a pick/senior list spot to match a bid in the National Draft.

Got to say, overall, your board, just going by your draft threads, is one of the more civilised boards on BF.

Visiting quite a few of the Vic boards, it’s like walking in the bad part of town.

Just on the GC and Jack Martin discussion, Carlton really offered GC unders, expecting GC to fold at the last minute.

SOS’s actions in this last trade period, cost him his job.

As for trading 2020 pick 11 for 2019 pick 27. It was massive overs, and the AFL shouldn’t have let it through.

And from a Lions perspective, you grow some decent footballers out West.

Got to say, overall, your board, just going by your draft threads, is one of the more civilised boards on BF.

Visiting quite a few of the Vic boards, it’s like walking in the bad part of town.

Just on the GC and Jack Martin discussion, Carlton really offered GC unders, expecting GC to fold at the last minute.

SOS’s actions in this last trade period, cost him his job.

As for trading 2020 pick 11 for 2019 pick 27. It was massive overs, and the AFL shouldn’t have let it through.

And from a Lions perspective, you grow some decent footballers out West.
Speaking of which, how many years does Starcevich have left on his contract?

If anyone hasn’t seen this, it’s a must watch. We had a plan if Henry was bid on before pick 7, which included trading with Gold Coast. 😳

Aw

If anyone hasn’t seen this, it’s a must watch. We had a plan if Henry was bid on before pick 7, which included trading with Gold Coast. 😳
Awesome, I imagine GC were getting 7 or 8 for 15 and 20. Can’t wait for the others.

The Freo media team has been on fire this off season

If Carlton secured 15 and 20 which became 17 and 22 for pick 11 or essentially pick 9. I’m sure we were getting more for pick 7.
Eh, if we pre-arranged that horrible trade with Port then I assume there is a heavy price to pay on these pre-arranged things.

Teams pay more in a “live trade” coz they know the exact player they are getting. That GC/Geelong trade was still bullshit though

Last edited:
Eh, if we pre-arranged that horrible trade with Port then I assume there is a heavy price to pay on these pre-arranged things.

Teams pay more in a “live trade” coz they the exact player they are getting. That GC/Geelong trade was still bullshit though

I’m guessing it was for both 7,8. Why bother trade one pick down, when the other would get eaten by the Henry trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back