Game Day Draft Day 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm hoping we've got the strategy right. Looking at the best existing talent we got - they are all midfielders or midfield forwards.
There were 6 KPP in the Top 10. Would have thought we would've picked up at least one. We end up picking up Will Phillips - fine, looks like the most likely to have an immediate impact and be a long term gun.
Don't understand going in and getting another inside mid in Powell. Can anyone shed some light?
We just rebuilt the engine room in the midfield. For the next decade we now have four genuine ball hunters in LDU, Simpkin, Phillips and Powell who we can complement with Scott, Thomas, Stephenson, Taylor and Zurhaar. Its a well rounded, diverse midfield group with differenet combinations of pace, skill, strength and size. We can fill out key posts with later picks, future drafts or via FA. But the mids are freakin set.

I guess the question is who will turn out to be the better footballer out of Phillips, McDonald and Hollands.
Powell will then be compared to McRae.

Looking back now at all the 1st round picks you’d have to be happy with those selections.
We’ve picked footballers suited to the modern game.

Dont want to jinx it but if Jack Carroll makes it to our pick I'd suggest he picks himself...

Brandon Walker and Joel Western need bids put in on them too. We should do it if no one before us does.

EDIT: Just realised Brayden Cook is still on the board. Bloody hell if he gets to our pick and we select him...

We’re pretty much at the ground zero stage of a rebuild. Building a smart, strong and powerful midfield that runs deep is a good place to start. Our starting midfield in 4 years time will all be around top 5 picks, all classic footballers not athletes. They’ll hopefully make our ‘average’ key position players look better than what they actually are.

We just rebuilt the engine room in the midfield. For the next decade we now have four genuine ball hunters in LDU, Simpkin, Phillips and Powell who we can complement with Scott, Thomas, Stephenson, Taylor and Zurhaar. Its a well rounded, diverse midfield group with differenet combinations of pace, skill, strength and size. We can fill out key posts with later picks, future drafts or via FA. But the mids are freakin set.
Don’t forget to add Bonar and Kyron to that group.. bull potential is strong with those two.

The thing I always say is that the ball moves quicker than players do. If you have smart players getting to the right spots who can dispose of the footy well under pressure then the ball will move quickly.

I agree that there's still a place for speed in the game but it's vastly overrated in the grand scheme of things.

Fans weren't complaining in the second half of 2019 under Shaw when we were moving the ball quickly and kicking big scores. Many would suggest we had a slow team on paper, but we certainly didn't look slow because the ball was moving quickly.

We've had that type of 'quick mind, natural footballer' midfield for most of the last decade. We've looked good with the game on our terms, and have been absolutely sliced up by midfields with pace. Anyway, you're not going to get a natural 30-touch mid with genuine pace outside the top 5 of the draft. Hopefully we can add some pacey pinch-hitter types. The foundation is good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Phillips and Powell coming in I’m thinking that we won’t be seeing Ziebell in the middle this year. Not sure whether he’ll be playing off half back or lingering in the forward line.

Dont want to jinx it but if Jack Carroll makes it to our pick I'd suggest he picks himself...

Brandon Walker and Joel Western need bids put in on them too. We should do it if no one before us does.

EDIT: Just realised Brayden Cook is still on the board. Bloody hell if he gets to our pick and we select him...

Adelaide has two picks coming up.

Surely doesn’t get past them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back