Draft Days

Remove this Banner Ad

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
good video on the site with a behind the scenes look at our drafting.

Only goes for 11 minutes, would have liked a bit more.

Would have loved to have seen the morning meeting where Dalrymple makes his pitch to the list management team.

Doesn’t sound like we have to worry about having too many key backs, talking about Naughton playing along two other key backs and him playing on medium forwards.

So we have Trengove, Cordy, Naughton, Wood, Biggs and JJ as our starting back 6?

I'd love to see JJ played up forward more, but think if we're going that tall with a back 6 we need his and Biggs pace.

So we have Trengove, Cordy, Naughton, Wood, Biggs and JJ as our starting back 6?

I'd love to see JJ played up forward more, but think if we're going that tall with a back 6 we need his and Biggs pace.
Richards has pace...

Found it interesting we got our three players we wanted. Very lucky I guess

...or its just selective editing.

Its the new black of "we cant believe that he slipped to pick 66, we had him as @ pick1!"

Last edited:
I’m thinking what they meant was - in terms of players available, these three were highest on our list. For example:

Priority 1: Dow
P2: Rayner
P3: LDU
P6: Naughton
P7: Richards
P8: Fogarty
P25: Bonar
P26: Brander
P27: Porter

Obviously Porter wasn’t #3 on our overall talent list, but he was the highest player left on the list come pick 79 or whatever it was.

I’m thinking what they meant was - in terms of players available, these three were highest on our list. For example:

Priority 1: Dow
P2: Rayner
P3: LDU
P6: Naughton
P7: Richards
P8: Fogarty
P25: Bonar
P26: Brander
P27: Porter

Obviously Porter wasn’t #3 on our overall talent list, but he was the highest player left on the list come pick 79 or whatever it was.

I think there was a fair bit of spin and editing in the video to backup the old line "I cant believe they got through to their pick".
Clearly Grant cant say that we got the talent sitting on top of our talent list.

They seem to me to have a realistic list of who would be available at each pick and then they ranked who may be available at that pick.
Which makes me wonder how they assess guys that are sliders and get through to the pick they may not have focused on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but yeah the video was a bit cheesy still cool to have some insight... I'm with Dan just show us some sort of footage of training? This pre-season is so low key atm. I want to know if Dickson is training etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back