Analysis Draft Hindsight Heroes v1 (2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't possible?

This is the least knowledge of had of our draftees in years. Can we claim to have won the draft yet?
Petters was the heart and soul mate.

It was Gorter we shouldn’t have taken.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Right rather than cheating i will select who i would have selected based without knowing what was coming ahead and also on the basis that anyone we drafted wouldnt be there for our next pick if i wanted them later. (ie not waiting till 32 to take constable etc)

13 Jack Higgins
21 Charlie Constable
26 James Worpal
32 Gryan Miers
38 Ryley Stoddart
68 Hamish Brayshaw
Pass Bailey Banfield (with banfield still on the table i would have taken him here)

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Pick 13 - Jarrod Brander
Positive. Had big wraps on him all year and was alongside Bonar as the best KPP in the draft. Probably had to pick him as no gun mids had slipped.

Pick 21 - Oscar Allen
Positive. Looks to be the prototype of the modern day forward. Tall but not lumbering, can play up the ground (and maybe even transition into a midfield role). No standout alternatives here I thought (possibly should have taken a punt on him lasting to #26 and grabbing Kelly instead).

Pick 26 - Liam Ryan
Negative. Attitude issues in the past, questions around his work ethic, probably a flight risk for non-WA teams. Wonder if anyone else would have grabbed him before our pick 38? Would have loved Worpel here, who seems a steal at 45.

Pick 32- Brayden Ainsworth
Negative. Don't know much about him as generally listed at 60+ in most mock drafts where profiles have long stopped. Murphy or Stoddard would have been great here if we had picked up Worpel at 26. As it were, we HAD to draft a midfielder because of our first 3 picks and obviously didn't rate Worpel & Constable who were both still available.

Pick 38- Jack Petruccelle
Neutral. Seems about right on where most mock drafts ranked him. Stoddard & Worpel were still on the table here.

Pick 68 - Hamish Brayshaw
Positive. Seems like he will be a role player, even if unlikely to have the ceiling his brothers have.

Pick 32- Brayden Ainsworth
Negative. Don't know much about him as generally listed at 60+ in most mock drafts where profiles have long stopped.
You do know how irrational this is though, right?

Hate list

Rookie
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Really disappointed that we didn't take Kelly at 21. IMO he was both the best available and the needs based selection. I'm sure Allen will be a good player over the course of time, but Kelly would have made an impact from round 1 straight off the HFF and into the MF. Gutted.

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Really disappointed that we didn't take Kelly at 21. IMO he was both the best available and the needs based selection. I'm sure Allen will be a good player over the course of time, but Kelly would have made an impact from round 1 straight off the HFF and into the MF. Gutted.
Ceiling

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
You do know how irrational this is though, right?
I have no idea about these kids, so go entirely off more educated opinions of others (player profiles & mock drafts).

Everyone rated him quite a lot further down the draft order than where he was selected, so feels like a reach.

Yeah, it's a dodgy reason. But I want to participate in this thread too!

Sent from my HTC Desire 825 using Tapatalk

liam123

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Right rather than cheating i will select who i would have selected based without knowing what was coming ahead and also on the basis that anyone we drafted wouldnt be there for our next pick if i wanted them later. (ie not waiting till 32 to take constable etc)

13 Jack Higgins
21 Charlie Constable
26 James Worpal
32 Gryan Miers
38 Ryley Stoddart
68 Hamish Brayshaw
Pass Bailey Banfield (with banfield still on the table i would have taken him here)
i should really have specified this in the OP . Thought it was obvious that you can't assume a player will slide further than they actually did. It's fine to take constable at 32 though as he wasn't taken till 37? This was expected the day before the draft.

liam123

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I just want to say this, in 3 years time I will be proven right when I say we screwed another draft year up. We are the perennial screw ups when it comes to recognizing talent in any way shape or form....I doubt whether Vozzo even knows a footballer from a netballer these days.
You have to actually state the players you think we missed though and at what picks? You can say something general about any team and then be proven right in nearly every draft because there is always quality that sneaks through. Put your money where your mouth is and point out the mistakes now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Pick 13: Jarrod Brander. Very happy. Best available. Will take until at least 2020 to see his worth. It's possible we wont see him much until then or will only see glimpses of his potential. Higgins will have more of an impact sooner but in 2021 tell me who you would prefer.

Pick 21: Oscar Allen - Brilliant pick. Same as Brander probably wont see his worth until later.

Pick 26: Liam Ryan - half half. Has the potential to be a dud, has potential to be brilliant. I'm guessing he will be serviceable 2018. Then brilliant from. 2019 to 2024. Only Worpel and Constable would I have picked over him.

Pick 32: Brayden Ainsworth - best available, suits needs. Happy. Not sure if will develop as we would like.

Pick 37: Jake Petrucelle - I'm nervous about this pick.... Very nervous. Would have picked Worpel.

Pick 68: Hamish Brayshaw. Brilliant. Very very happy

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
i should really have specified this in the OP . Thought it was obvious that you can't assume a player will slide further than they actually did. It's fine to take constable at 32 though as he wasn't taken till 37? This was expected the day before the draft.

Yes however everyone knows about my hard on for Constable. I would have taken him at 21 without even thinking about it.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
^^^

You’ll look like a goose when Brander is an elite tall, m8. Back the lad in, good selection for the future.

Could have taken Miller later, but he’ll be nowhere in Brander’s ballpark, so glad they went best available.
Looking like a goose is pretty much the idea of this thread :p

But even if Brander reaches Kennedy's level, the last 10 years have shown us that's not enough for a flag if the midfield isn't there. That's why it was the wrong pick.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Would've gone Higgins, Allen or Brander, L. Fogarty.

Ryan too early, but think he'll turn out ok. I'm actually excited to watch him and Rioli play.

Ainsworth, would've taken Constable then Worpel ahead of Ainsworth. Think he'll end up a very good player though, his contested and clearance numbers are elite.

Petra, probably rather Moore here. But I do believe this guy is only just getting started and in a full time footy environment could be anything. His leap and speed are best in draft.

Brayshaw, came equal 3rd in Morrish medal off less games. Had a game vs Northern nights where he got 30 disposals and 5 goals, 18 contested poss, 8 clearances and 11 tackles. We did very very well here!

Thoughts on rookie selections?
Schloithe
Jonty Scharenberg?
Banfield
Olango
Jye Bolton

archiemoses

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
13. Brander: Neutral. Don't hate it, don't love it but I would have chosen Jack Higgins, who is a true footballer, fills a need for us and would have an impact next year. Worst case Brander has some trade value in an unlikely Jesse Hogan chase.

21. Allen: Positive. Happy with Allen at this pick.

26. Ryan: Negative. Too early, pick 37(38) would have been the earliest I would have considered Ryan as some question marks still remain.. Can he handle a professional environment? Does he want to improve or will he be happy he's made a list?? I dont think his year was so good that he went from undraftable to early second round. I would have selected Charlie Constable here. Tall mid and footballer first.

32. Ainsworth: Positive, probably would have lasted to 38 but doesn't matter much. Proper inside mid that plays like Taylor Adams (including the untidy kicking). Not as ready at Worpel but higher ceiling which makes the pick okay. Also a local product which de-risks the pick as well.

38. Petruccelle: Negative. Nothing against him as a player, could be anything but we don't have the depth to be using second round picks on these types. Third round? Maybe. Would have taken Liam Ryan here at the very earliest (and if available). Gryan Miers I would have been happy with if Ryan wasn't available and we wanted a small forward. Also would have been happy with Sam Hayes as a Ruckman.

68. Brayshaw: Positive. Big bodied mid, lacks some polish but makes up for it with effort and endeavour.

Overall:

- Higgins
- Allen
- Constable
- Ainsworth
- Ryan (Miers / Hayes)
- Brayshaw

Other calls:
Tim Kelly is a great player but will find it tough to break into the Geelong midfield, balance a transition to a new state with new born twins. Crazy. At his age Kelly really needed to go to a team that with more opportunity. We would have been the perfect club and he wouldn't have had to uproot his family.

May 26, 2006
At a distance
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Bruins
13 Brander - positive

21 Allen - positive

26 Ryan - surprised, could be the small forward WCE have needed for nearly ever, but really seemed a reach. Expected/hoped Constable given Kelly gone.

32 Ainsworth - positive after a sleep, but expected Worpel at the time.

38 Petruccelle - Positive. Seems composed, like his potential. Biggest knock seems be that he's only played footy for a year, coming from basketball. I think this can be positive. Basketball: players require good 360 awareness, strong hands, quick decision-making, fast efficient hands, & great aerobic capacity at very least. Not like it was athletics or ruggers.

68 Brayshaw - Hoped for this both because potential with Brayshaw Determination & Guts in DNA, and all the good story vibes as a bonus.

Hadn't thought further than 68 pick pre draft, as I mostly focused on possible mids in picks 21 to 37 in my fantasies...

Aug 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Who I wanted live.
13: Brander - I was stoked and wanted him over Higgins
21: Allen - Even happier because it was a big slide. Left us in a pickle though after getting no mid at 13. I wanted him over Kelly and Fogarty.
26: Constable - I was keen on him or murphy, felt like we needed a pure mid after missing the first 2.
32: Murphy - I had wanted constable again here but I would have taken him at 26.
38: Ryan - I wanted Petrucelle/Murphy/Hayes/Houlahan or Worpel live. If we had done as my draft had followed though I would have taken Ryan if he was still there. If he wasn't I would have gone petrucelle to complement constable's slowness.

Brayshaw was a lock.

I think If I had been picking for WCE our draft would have been:
13. Brander
21. Allen
26. Constable
32. Murphy
38. Petrucelle (Ryan would have been taken)
69. Brayshaw

Interesting it's not that different to ours which is why i'm not too grumpy.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
13 Higgins
21 Allen
26 Ryan
32 Worpel
38 Petrucelle
68 Brayshaw
77 Garlett

Allen too good to pass up at 21.
Would've taken Kelly instead of Ryan if he was available. Not too bothered about picking him or not, and needed another small forward. Pre-draft I would've gone for Miers and Moore. Didn't want to make too many changes anyway.
Would've preferred to have taken Garlett in the rookie draft, but knowing Carlton took him in the ND, perhaps we could've drafted him here. Although apparently he wasn't particularly impressive this year, I'm sure he has plenty of scope to improve. Could go either way tbh, but maybe still worth the risk at such a low pick, although we'd have to keep him on the list for at least 2 years. Might be a better option than most players available in the rookie draft, but I haven't looked at who are available yet tbh... :sweatsmile:

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Brander- don't mind the selection but can't see him being elite at either end tbh.
Allen- wasn't a huge fan of this selection but i think he does have the talent there to possibly become an very good player.
Ryan- Not a fan of the pick again but could become the comps next big this if he can become more proffiessional, improve his fitness and also improve his defensive game.
Brayden Ainsworth - He ainsworth my time. Nah in all seriousness i view him as a similar pick up to a mutimer. Think he might play a couple games for us and then be delisted.
Petrucelli- would have loved Worpel but i think if he is able to improve on hsi footy knowledge and sharpen his skills, he could be deadly for us on a HF flank or wing.
Brayshaw- love this pick and i think he might be one of the steals of this draft.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
So is it too early to call that we have drafted the next JJK, Fyfe and Betts with our first 3 picks?

Seriously though I think we have nailed our first 2 picks. Brander was touted as a #1 pick before they started moving him back. Allen would be top 5 if he was 5cm taller but it seems he is in the middle of a growth spurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back