Analysis Draft Hindsight Heroes v1 (2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Evil Eagle

Debutant
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
13 Brander very happy with this pick.

21 Allen. Not happy doesn’t fill a need and I don’t rate him.
I would have taken Tim Kelly.

26 Ryan. Happy maybe taken early.

32. Ainsworth. I would have drafted Worpel.

38 Petrucelli. Ok with me.

68 Brayshaw. Good selection.

Nov 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool | Golden State Warriors
13 Brander very happy with this pick.

21 Allen. Not happy doesn’t fill a need and I don’t rate him.
I would have taken Tim Kelly.

26 Ryan. Happy maybe taken early.

32. Ainsworth. I would have drafted Worpel.

38 Petrucelli. Ok with me.

68 Brayshaw. Good selection.

Brander
Kelly
Ryan
Worpel
Petrucelle
Brayshaw

Would have been a pretty darn good outcome, with the only grievance the Ryan reach.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Head recruiter, John Burgess, with fellow recruitment staff, Technotronic, prefer the tried and true method of spin that wheel to select all of WC's 2nd rounders.

Impressive that a 20 year old is familiar with such an iconic group as Technotronic

buddymania

All Australian
Sep 22, 2008
ESPN
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NYG, Chicago Bulls
My selections if picking:

13 Jarrod Brander
21 Oscar Allen
26 James Worpel
32 Joel Garner
38 Mitchell Crowden
68 Jack Petrucelle
78 Ethan Floyd

Overall happy that we went for best available with Brander and Allen instead of needs. No mids slid to pick 13 apart from Higgins who I see more as a small pressure fwd at AFL level. Only one of Fogarty which would have been nice. Liam Ryan we should’ve rookied last year if we were interested...

Last edited:
See it’s very easy to say we should have rookied Ryan last year, but all 18 clubs agreed that he wasn’t mentally nor physically ready for AFL. There were questions if he ever would be.

While we may have overpaid, Ryan not being picked up last year may end up a major factor in him becoming a better player than he would have otherwise. Perhaps it will all be worth it.

LordHaart

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Did anyone else watch the draft live? Was interesting to see the discussions, especially during extra time. Looked like Rawlings might not have been all that happy about a few of our selections, gives me hope that we at least have a good mix of perspectives in there.

Overall, not really disappointed in the draft, but I feel like it indicates that we're really going for a post-JK, post-EMac build, I don't think we'll be going too deep into finals next year (if we make them at all), but on the flip side I think this might be the start of a good backbone for the 2020's and after seeing us try to sell the bank to get some short term needs filled (Wellingham, Redden, Jetta), I can live with missing Kelly and taking a longer view of things.

Lots of other teams passed on Worpel and Constable repeatedly so I'm not really upset about that. Can't say I would have done all that much differently in hindsight.

B from me, forward looking picks, we probably would have needed different draft picks to do much better over the long run.

darksquare

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2016
Edgewater
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I'm happy with Allen and Ryan, and would have wanted both. I might not have picked Brayshaw, but I like the selection.

I can see three decisions the club made that I would have made differently.

1. Brander over Higgins.
2. Ainsworth over Constable.
3. Petruccelle over Miers/Moore.
There is also a hypothetical - having passed on Higgins, maybe take Spargo and hope that Ryan is available later instead of Petruccelle.

But I have no reason to believe that my picks would be any better. Every player we chose has a plausible justification, so I won't be whining in future years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

archiemoses

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
See it’s very easy to say we should have rookied Ryan last year, but all 18 clubs agreed that he wasn’t mentally nor physically ready for AFL. There were questions if he ever would be.

While we may have overpaid, Ryan not being picked up last year may end up a major factor in him becoming a better player than he would have otherwise. Perhaps it will all be worth it.
I don't get this logic, that is what the rookie list is for so he can develop and mature in the system. It's a free hit.

I can do the recruiters job if I don't have to project talent, I'll just wait until they prove themselves and recruit on exposed form. That's easy.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't get this logic, that is what the rookie list is for so he can develop and mature in the system. It's a free hit.

I can do the recruiters job if I don't have to project talent, I'll just wait until they prove themselves and recruit on exposed form. That's easy.
Thats says a lot when 18 clubs avoid a player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just musing that, perhaps, being looked over last year may have done Ryan more good than harm in the long run. It gave him the kick in the backside he needed that he may not have received had he been selected.

It’s a more positive way to look at things rather than the moaning over overlooking him.

buddymania

All Australian
Sep 22, 2008
ESPN
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NYG, Chicago Bulls

Literally the point of the rookie draft. Could have rookied him last year and he wouldn't have had any pressure on him and could've learned the game plans/level of training required from him at AFL level.

Literally the point of the rookie draft. Could have rookied him last year and he wouldn't have had any pressure on him and could've learned the game plans/level of training required from him at AFL level.
It’s not about pressure on him. It’s about his mental approach to his game.

Anyway, I see the merit of having taking him ahead of Gorter, but moaning about it won’t change anything now.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
13 Allen instead of Brander
21 L Fogarty
26 Worpel assuming Kelly gone
32 Ainsworth
38 Ryan
68 Brayshaw

Rookie Grigg, Kreuger and Orlando

Expect Worpel, Fogerty and Ryan to play games in 2018.

Last edited:
13 Allen instead of Brander
21 L Fogarty
26 Worpel assuming Kelly gone
32 Ainsworth
38 Ryan
68 Brayshaw

Rookie Grigg, Kreuger and Orlando
I think there were lots of indications Ryan wouldn’t have lasted to 38.

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
13. Brander: Neutral. I'm not especially sure he fills a need long-term, but I don't hate it. Personally I'd have opted for Higgins who appears to have plenty of footy smarts.

21. Allen: Very positive. We got a slider here and I think the only reason people are looking sideways at this pick is because we didn't have a bona fide mid in the preceding pick. Would have picked Allen.

26. Ryan: Negative by virtue of value. Constable here was a no-brainer for me.

32. Ainsworth: Neutral. I think we could have waited to 38 and I'd have been quite happy. I actually quite liked the look of Ballard and would have entertained him here. Worpel also would have been in my thinking.

38. Pettrucelle: Neutral. I don't have a problem with this pick per se, but - working on the assumption I had made the previous picks - I'd have felt okay about developing a ruck via Ben Miller. Maybe, maybe I could have lived with Ryan here.

68. Brayshaw: Great pick. Brayshaw.

Overall:

- Higgins
- Allen
- Constable
- Ballard
- Miller
- Brayshaw

Pretty much agree on everything, so saves me writing too much.

I’m more positive on Brander and hope he will be good, but wasn’t my first choice.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Swap him and Worpel then just think 26 was a reach and a bit oaf panic after Kelly was gone.

So take him at 32 and Ainsworth at 38

Net result = da same

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
ROYAL EAGLE Barney44 Monocle - Eastern Rangers And any one else who has seen a lot of WAFL footy.

Can you please give me your views on Ainsworth?
I know he was the leading U/18 player at clearances...Apart from this, do I have any reason to get excited.
Why he'd be a better choice than Worpel or Constable for that matter.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back