Draft History

Remove this Banner Ad

jim440

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2001
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
Going through our draft history, one cannot help but notice how abysmal we have been over the years. In fact, since the beginning of the draft in '86, from the national draft, we have had only 7 draftees go on to play 100 games - Cameron, Grant, Croft, Southern, Darcy (father/son), Johnson and Curley - yet we have drafted 40 who have failed to play even a single game (not including Hargrave, Birss, Cross or Skipper).

Some interesting trades we have done:

Simon Garlick for Simon Black
Michael Martin for Trent Bartlett and Danny Giansiracusa
Leon Cameron for Mitchell Hahn and Ryan Hargrave

Scott West and Rohan Smith do not appear on any draft or trade lists. How did they come to be at the Bulldogs?

Originally posted by jim440
Going through our draft history, one cannot help but notice how abysmal we have been over the years. In fact, since the beginning of the draft in '86, from the national draft, we have had only 7 draftees go on to play 100 games - Cameron, Grant, Croft, Southern, Darcy (father/son), Johnson and Curley - yet we have drafted 40 who have failed to play even a single game (not including Hargrave, Birss, Cross or Skipper).

Scott West and Rohan Smith do not appear on any draft or trade lists. How did they come to be at the Bulldogs?

I think our trading has generally been poor. But we have improved considerably with the recruiting of youngsters which was appalling in the pre-Clayton years. Our shabby record in picking up juniors may have influenced Wallace and co to go for ready mades like Garlick, Winmar and Wills etc. Shame we didn't have Clayton a couple of years earlier.

It is a testement to the quality of the coaching in recent years that we have been able to be so competitive and got so much out of the players we have. Smith and West were among the last to come thru the local zoning rules.

With Clayton on board our recruiting certainly has picked up but we need to hold on to him.God knows what Mark Kleiman was doin at the club in 97 and 98 IMO it is his fault that we faded after 98 because he failed with his drafting in those years.I may be singling out the wrong person so correct me if he was not our recruiting manager in those years.;)

Originally posted by dogboy23
With Clayton on board our recruiting certainly has picked up but we need to hold on to him.God knows what Mark Kleiman was doin at the club in 97 and 98 IMO it is his fault that we faded after 98 because he failed with his drafting in those years.I may be singling out the wrong person so correct me if he was not our recruiting manager in those years.;)

I blame Kleiman as well. Interestingly now he's at Collingwood they have drafted Mark Kinnear (ex-Sydney), McKee, Ukovic, Freeborn, Clement, Holland and Wakelin.

They have also drafted Fraser (not hard to pick a good player with a no.1 pick) and Nick Davis (father/son - another no brainer). Ryan Lonie looks to be the best player Kleiman's picked outside first round.

I blame Kleiman as well. Interestingly now he's at Collingwood they have drafted Mark Kinnear (ex-Sydney), McKee, Ukovic, Freeborn, Clement, Holland and Wakelin.

They have also drafted Fraser (not hard to pick a good player with a no.1 pick) and Nick Davis (father/son - another no brainer). Ryan Lonie looks to be the best player Kleiman's picked outside first round.
I stand to be corrected on this but if my memory serves me correctly the pies picked up a guy by the name of Danny Roach with number 9 and as yet he has been very dissapointing.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by dogboy23
I stand to be corrected on this but if my memory serves me correctly the pies picked up a guy by the name of Danny Roach with number 9 and as yet he has been very dissapointing.:rolleyes:

Isn't Judkins the recruiting officer at Collingwood. I think Kleiman has a role in the footy dept but doubt he has responsibility for their recruiting although he would have influence. He just didn't seem to be able to identify the talent in youngsters in their mid-late teens which probably explains why he always seemed to go for older recruits. Some worked like Monty and Powell but many were average or shockers like Dooley, Macri, Tony Campbell et al.

Originally posted by The Doctor

Isn't Judkins the recruiting officer at Collingwood. I think Kleiman has a role in the footy dept but doubt he has responsibility for their recruiting although he would have influence. He just didn't seem to be able to identify the talent in youngsters in their mid-late teens which probably explains why he always seemed to go for older recruits. Some worked like Monty and Powell but many were average or shockers like Dooley, Macri, Tony Campbell et al.
Yeah I thought that might have been the case.:(

Scott West and Rohan Smith do not appear on any draft or trade lists. How did they come to be at the Bulldogs

Smith was a local came through Under 19's
, West came from local zone too. he lived on the boundary of Essendons zone , his neighbour was Olarenshaw,I think he captained Ess Gramm after Fletcher

Garlick for Black is unfair. We traded a second round pick. We had Klieman at the time. We would not have got Black.

I believe Klieman is not even in the recruiting dept at all for the pies.

Klieman is the reason our draft record looks bad. Merrington before him and clayton after him have been good.

Oleranshaw and west lived with adjoining back fences. West Dons fan Olarenshaw Bulldogs. The back fence was also the border of the billdog essendon zones. We got west they got ricky. hehe, we win.

I actually thought it was Joe Misiti that lived over the back of Westy??

Misiti, Mercuri & West all played for Keilor (so did Misiti & Mercuri's brothers)

Yeah it was Olarenshaw. Funny thing was that Westy was a huge Essendon fan and Ricky was a mad Doggies fan. By the way, Westy played for Strathmore.

Originally posted by Rocco Jones
Yeah it was Olarenshaw. Funny thing was that Westy was a huge Essendon fan and Ricky was a mad Doggies fan. By the way, Westy played for Strathmore.
I heard that Westy's street was the actual boundary and he just happened to live on the Bulldogs' side!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft history is ok....trade history is pretty dodgy.

Thanks for Monty & Brent Guerra ;)

5 years in the AFL......he's running out of young time to get good

Originally posted by Porthos
5 years in the AFL......he's running out of young time to get good

he's only 21-22 he might be a late bloomer. like me :D

Maybe the Dogs might pick up a good Saussie in the draft. Other than Jamar their don't seem to be too many in the spotlight. Anyone else putting their hand up from the land of Luke Darcy?

Bubba grew up in Angliss street in Yarraville. The local footy club happened to be Kingsville who play in the FDFL/WRFL. He was recruited as a local junior in '90 or '91. Cant remember whether or not he played in the under 19's, dont think so though.

Re: Re: Draft History

Originally posted by localyokel

Bubba grew up in Angliss street in Yarraville. The local footy club happened to be Kingsville who play in the FDFL/WRFL. He was recruited as a local junior in '90 or '91. Cant remember whether or not he played in the under 19's, dont think so though.

I think you will find Bubba was the last captain of our under 19's. Neale Clarke (current runner at essendon) works with my dad and was the coach.

Re: Re: Re: Draft History

Originally posted by sigscotty

I think you will find Bubba was the last captain of our under 19's. Neale Clarke (current runner at essendon) works with my dad and was the coach.

Fairy 'nuff, cant argue with the coach.:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Draft History

Originally posted by localyokel

Fairy 'nuff, cant argue with the coach.:)

I actually think Bubba may have been involved in a under 19 premiership. I will look into it. :cool: you know, check with my connections and stuff..."Dad, did Bubba play..." ;) will get back to you with some more solid info.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back