List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 #2: Rankine / Lukosius / Rozee / Hately, I'm knocking Woodcock out the box, daily!

Predict the Adelaide board's melt level after the draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the failed GWS Pick Trade .....it's interesting that I had Jones going to GWS at #11 .....but they may take him at #9

I rationalized that having lost Williams aas their HB ball carrier & Shaw on his last legs ....that GWS would take Clark at #9 .....Jones at #11 .....but that may get reversed now

You mean with King maybe being available at #10 ....that we would overlook him ??
B King at 10 if say a Rozee or Smith here in an unlikely event at 8

No one wants Chayce that much

I wouldnt have thought so. But if the bulldogs shut them down, then they may feel that he is worth sacrificing for. Look at it the other way, would you do 8 and 21 for 9 and 11 knowing that Rozee was there at 8? I wouldn't. Maybe they see Jones the way we see Rozee.

Because he was on Contract ....having missed out in 4 Drafts, Geelong gives him a chance & he wants to piss off after 1 year, citing homesickness ....but only to West Coast

Bravo Geelong !!!!! .....I wish more clubs did this !
Added to that WCE did * all to get him , had 2 picks they could have traded for the 13 we got from swans but didn’t do it

Try harder or miss out WC

Given the failed GWS Pick Trade .....it's interesting that I had Jones going to GWS at #11 .....but they may take him at #9

I rationalized that having lost Williams aas their HB ball carrier & Shaw on his last legs ....that GWS would take Clark at #9 .....Jones at #11 .....but that may get reversed now

You mean with King maybe being available at #10 ....that we would overlook him ??
Ps they haven’t lost Williams . He played finals and will be back for full season next year ( you might be thinking Wilson )

Easy

If it falls that way we will take B King as next best available , an absolute steal at pick 8

Got a feeling it ends up

8 Caldwell
13 Hately ( Jones already taken )
16 bid on GWS ruck Briggs which is matched ( maybe) if so we take Collier-Dawkins
21 not sure . Maybe Williams
Jackpot

What is your knock on Butters? I have a fair few that I would prefer in front of him and it also depends who we take at 8 and 13, but he could be best available at 16 couldn't he? I'd prefer Sturt and I think he is a chance to make it to 16. I have swayed over to Bailey Williams ahead of Butters, purely because we will struggle to give games to 3 mid size recruits let alone 4. At least Williams will be a longer term prospect that we can work on in the background for a couple of years. I am not sure how keen he will be to play SANFL for 2 years though :)
No massive knock on Butters but my unofficial rule is if you’re small you either need to be quick or very elite at contested ball

Being clever and small isn’t enough see B Jarman and numerous others ( ps he has way more to his game than Jarman )

Pick 21 more than happy

No massive knock on Butters but my unofficial rule is if you’re small you either need to be quick or very elite at contested ball

Being clever and small isn’t enough see B Jarman and numerous others ( ps he has way more to his game than Jarman )

Pick 21 more than happy

Good rule :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I find all of your opinions on Jones highly entertaining, if you watched him play in a crows guernsey you would love him fast

He will be a fan favourite for the way he plays his footy . Team first , tough as guts and skilful . Likely skipper material
I haven't expanded my thoughts on Jones, but here goes .....he's 180 cm, do we want another of that size player after Gallucci, and trading for McAdam and Stengle ?

There are 4 things I look for in players:
  1. Clean hands
  2. Marking (goes in part with point 1)
  3. Composure under pressure
  4. Footy IQ
If a player hasn't great composure at U18 pace ....he won't suddenly find it at AFL level ...Rozee, Smith, Caldwell, Rankine, all have great composure with not just their disposal under pressure, but also how they're thinking under pressure

With Jones, under pressure he just throws the ball on the boot or throws out a handball ....very noticable

I've taken on board what you've said, as I respect your opinions .....but I just can't see the "buzz"

So I thought I'd get Knighmares opinions .....so here

This weeks AFL Draft wrap covering the first round of the U18 champs in detail and focusing on Tasmanian Chayce Jones: http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...edy-tasmanian-chayce-jones-impresses-midfield

Can definitely agree with you Jones' pressure and tackling both were excellent - as with ball winning and accumulation. No argument from me there.

I'm not talking highlights with Jones. I can't imagine his bad kicks would make highlight tapes? I'm talking about what I noted each game with his kicking. He wasn't hitting his targets.

This is backed up by Jones having 8 more ineffective than effective kicks throughout the sample of six games I have of Jones for the Allies including the practice match.

He's duel sided, but his use through the u18 champs didn't impress me either.

He's a high level accumulator and contested baller. Has the capabilities to play inside/outside. Endurance is excellent.

Has the performances on the board in the TSL in the bests in 6/7 games. He hits the scoreboard kicking 5 from those 7.

He's a good midfielder. A safe pick. Just not flashy like some of the more highly touted ones have been.

You're right and I went off an old list from post trade week rather than the updated.

The selection choices don't really get changed with the same players that late going to the same clubs.

For the 3 round edition I went without bidding just for simplicity, so I'm not too fussed.

For the final phantom draft it will all be up to date.

I haven't expanded my thoughts on Jones, but here goes .....he's 180 cm, do we want another of that size player after Gallucci, and trading for McAdam and Stengle ?

1. Clean hands
  4. Footy IQ
If a player hasn't great composure at U18 pace ....he won't suddenly find it at AFL level ...Rozee, Smith, Caldwell, Rankine, all have great composure with not just their disposal under pressure, but also how they're thinking under pressure

With Jones, under pressure he just throws the ball on the boot or throws out a handball ....very noticable

I've taken on board what you've said, as I respect your opinions .....but I just can't see the "buzz"

Those 4 traits you rate - he is above average to elite in each . Very good overhead for his size , very clean ball handling including R1 champs best on ground in wet where he didn’t fumble a ball. As for footy IQ he’s got about as much footy IQ as anyone in the draft

Balmer on podcast called him a classic ‘ Geelong pick who rate natural footballers’

For anyone that’s seen him play more than 3 FULL games which I think you really need to know a player there is no worry at all on his ball use

In fact he’s a much better kick than Rory Sloane at the same age

There’s a reason that clubs rate him higher than draft watchers like Knightmare

1. Clean hands
  4. Footy IQ

The best of your arguments is that he’s 181cm . That’s his only knock IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 21 more than happy
Oh Butters is quick Jeff. Assuming you saw his champs games? He plays very quick, unlike someone like Tom McKenzie who's a lightning sprinter but doesn't always use it in game

Oh Butters is quick Jeff. Assuming you saw his champs games? He plays very quick, unlike someone like Tom McKenzie who's a lightning sprinter but doesn't always use it in game
His footy brain is lightning quick super smart

Speed wise not slow but not elite for his size ( given he’s not a contested ball beast )

Not off him at all just rate him 18-22

Not gonna bother getting in on the Jones argument. He's absolutely a talent, IMO one of the smartest and yep one of the most underrated athletes in the crop. He's got a few question marks that prevent me from putting him up with Rozee/Caldwell/Hately, but he's not far off them.

Having him outside my top 10 is saying more of my opinion of how strong this draft class is

He's a great guy too, know him from when I played cricket against him back in Launceston, very competitive in any facet of sporting lol

It was Rory’s knock now look at him

Yes I know. But it’s not a selling point of Jones that his kick is better than Rory at the same stage :)

Jones’s kick reminds me of Liptak. Another player whose kicking style didn’t stop him. But again, not a selling point.

Jones would be a good get and if Hamish takes him at 8 then in Hamish we trust. But I am not expecting us to call his name that early.

Just read on the main board that GWS made an offer to WB for pick 7 that got knocked back. Has that been mentioned here yet? Seems they want to get in front of us. I wonder whats going on there if that is true. Basically it doesn't concern me who WB take, I know that the player that falls through to us will be a great get. So I don't care if GWS have that pick instead. But why are they so desperate to get in front of Hamish?
Chayce Jones I’d say.

His footy brain is lightning quick super smart

Speed wise not slow but not elite for his size ( given he’s not a contested ball beast )

Not off him at all just rate him 18-22
Fair, he isn't a contested ball beast but he's got that elusiveness that you want from an outside mid. His straight line speed isn't elite but it's pretty damn close to it, from when I've seen him. He's a better prospect IMO than Ollie Florent was in his draft year, and he went pick 11 IIRC

Yes I know. But it’s not a selling point of Jones that his kick is better than Rory at the same stage :)

Jones’s kick reminds me of Liptak. Another player whose kicking style didn’t stop him. But again, not a selling point.

Jones would be a good get and if Hamish takes him at 8 then in Hamish we trust. But I am not expecting us to call his name that early.
I’m not sure Liptak was pulling trigger from 50M on run regularly at 18 like Jones

Kicking is not Jones problem , at all

Fair, he isn't a contested ball beast but he's got that elusiveness that you want from an outside mid. His straight line speed isn't elite but it's pretty damn close to it, from when I've seen him. He's a better prospect IMO than Ollie Florent was in his draft year, and he went pick 11 IIRC
Agree much more natural footballer than Florent who is a better athlete

Just read on the main board that GWS made an offer to WB for pick 7 that got knocked back. Has that been mentioned here yet? Seems they want to get in front of us. I wonder whats going on there if that is true. Basically it doesn't concern me who WB take, I know that the player that falls through to us will be a great get. So I don't care if GWS have that pick instead. But why are they so desperate to get in front of Hamish?
Maybe they think we will select Clarke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back