List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 #2: Rankine / Lukosius / Rozee / Hately, I'm knocking Woodcock out the box, daily!

Predict the Adelaide board's melt level after the draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a look at Twomey's phantom form guide. We're linked with just about everyone including putting bids in on Quaynor, Will Kelly and Briggs. Interesting. Looking forward to Thursday night.
In other words he has little idea what Hamish has planned. ;)

Draft pundits have been banging on about the first 8 picks being 'special'.

Weve got one of those.

It was originally the first 7 picks, that suddenly and mysteriously became 8 only when we were moved out to 8 :think:

Last edited:

It was the first originally 7 picks, that suddenly and mysteriously became 8 only when we were moved out to 8 :think:
Tell us how we move up the order ??!!

Also under your plan we are cooked in 2- 3 yrs time when 5-6 players gradually retire and we have one gun that hold the fort . But let us know how we get this gun would you

Tell us how we move up the order ??!!

Also under your plan we are cooked in 2- 3 yrs time when 5-6 players gradually retire and we have one gun that hold the fort . But let us know how we get this gun would you

We had picks in the last few years, we have picks in the next few years. If our development is as good as we claim it is, we should be able to fill out the ranks beneath him with teens, twenties, and thirties picks from 3 years fore and 3 years hence with relative ease, and any flyers from later rounds and the rookie draft that come good are just a bonus.

Last edited:
It was originally the first 7 picks, that suddenly and mysteriously became 8 only when we were moved out to 8 :think:
No Caldwell came back into calculations ....so it wasn't a manufactured top 8

There's also a growing possibility a King will fall to #8

AFL draft guru Kevin Sheehan says the key forward St Kilda is considering with pick No.4 has shown the same special traits as superstars Tom Lynch and Joe Daniher.

The Saints will have a series of meetings this week in the lead-up to Thursday night to settle on its preferred target with pick No.4 in the national draft.

Alan Richardson’s men have some glaring midfield needs, but have been eyeing Bayside local and 204cm goalkicker Max King all season.

If he slips past St Kilda in favour of gun midfield prospects Connor Rozee(North Adelaide), Bailey Smith (Sandringham Dragons) or Jye Caldwell(Bendigo Pioneers), King will almost certainly head to the Power at pick No.5.

“He (Max) is a boy that is pretty special,” Sheehan said.

King tore his anterior cruciate ligament in April but has made outstanding progress in his recovery, training alongside his identical 202cm twin brother Ben in recent weeks.

They are set to be the first set of twins taken inside the top-10 of the national draft.

Sheehan said both had bright football careers ahead of them.

“These boys are ready to step up and play,” Sheehan said.

“It’s their speed and agility that sets them apart.

“They’re very worthy of top-five (choices).

The King Twins are both good players, but would be a scary prospect to pick to highly. Depending on how the night shakes out trade wise I could see them both sliding.
Yes I agree .....there's this belief that talls are being devalued in Drafts now ......probably due to the failures of Schacke & McArtin

Will clubs place more emphasis on Mids at the expense of Elite Talls ......frankly it's crazy, but a possibility, that maybe to our benefit

Yes I agree .....there's this belief that talls are being devalued in Drafts now ......probably due to the failures of Schacke & McArtin

Will clubs place more emphasis on Mids at the expense of Elite Talls ......frankly it's crazy, but a possibility, that maybe to our benefit
Yeah, the King Twins haven't done themselves any favours with the 'flight risk for non Vic clubs' narrative. Between us, GCS and Port, 5 of the top 8 picks belong to non Victorian clubs. So if non Vic Clubs are steering clear of them due to that their draft value has already taken a smashing.

Or the Narrative that they will one day want to play together regardless of where they start out, which makes picking either 1 of them on their own a risk.

Or the other narrative is they will need 2 maybe 3 years in the 2's before you get any games from them. And the better player is a explosive KPF coming back from a ACL, and the not so good twin is projected as a CHB, which rarely go in the top 10.

Bottom line is those 2 boys are red flag city for struggling clubs IMO. If I was a coach of a team like St. Kilda (who would have to be on paper thin ice this season, and already have the biggest tall forward draft bust currently on their list) i'd be avoiding them like the plague!

The King Twins are both good players, but would be a scary prospect to pick to highly. Depending on how the night shakes out trade wise I could see them both sliding.
If Max King slips to port at 5, then if Ben is there at 8 it will make our decision much simpler in terms of go home factor as it will land both lads in SA if we then take Ben at 8 if he is still on the board

If Max King slips to port at 5, then if Ben is there at 8 it will make our decision much simpler in terms of go home factor as it will land both lads in SA if we then take Ben at 8 if he is still on the board
This place would Riot if we took Ben King with our first top 10 draft pick in... well, forever!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This place would Riot if we took Ben King with our first top 10 draft pick in... well, forever!
I don't think there's any doubt on his talent or his potential. In isolation it makes him an attractive proposition at 8. The issue is the twin factor but as mentioned, if Port take Max at 5, the issue may be alleviated somewhat

I don't think there's any doubt on his talent or his potential. In isolation it makes him an attractive proposition at 8. The issue is the twin factor but as mentioned, if Port take Max at 5, the issue may be alleviated somewhat
The only way I think we'll be damned in that regard (I still think Hamish will pick him if he's there, he won't pass up elite talent) is if Max goes to the Saints, then Rozee gets to the Pear.

Most likely scenario I still think is M King to Saints, B King to Port (if they want a King as desperately as has been made out)

The only way I think we'll be damned in that regard (I still think Hamish will pick him if he's there, he won't pass up elite talent) is if Max goes to the Saints, then Rozee gets to the Pear.

Most likely scenario I still think is M King to Saints, B King to Port (if they want a King as desperately as has been made out)
That would really make me laugh. Port got totally exposed second half of the year for lack of pace and run through the midfield, they then lose Polec and Winguard, so what do they do?
Take a 204cm guy off an ACL. Gold!

Yeah true. It hadn't occurred to me that Port would be keen on a tall, but thinking it through makes sense.

Particularly as they still have 10-15 to get some good mids.

No, that's untrue.

It's gone from eight to nine recently, when journos (the only people saying this) got word that Caldwell looked to go in the first six.

Lukosius, Rankine, Kings, Smith, Walsh, Rozee, Caldwell, Blakey.

That's the top nine. All blue chip prospects.

We had picks in the last few years, we have picks in the next few years. If our development is as good as we claim it is, we should be able to fill out the ranks beneath him with teens, twenties, and thirties picks from 3 years fore and 3 years hence with relative ease, and any flyers from later rounds and the rookie draft that come good are just a bonus.
We have one pick next year.

We will have a minimum dozen players retiring in the next three years.

Your plan is foolish, and makes us Freo at best.

No, that's untrue.

It's gone from eight to nine recently, when journos (the only people saying this) got word that Caldwell looked to go in the first six.

Lukosius, Rankine, Kings, Smith, Walsh, Rozee, Caldwell, Blakey.

That's the top nine. All blue chip prospects.

I wonder who ends up filling out the top 10. Jones? Clark? Hately?

Did Caldwell compete in the recent 2k time trial? And did he go ok?

Looks a good prospect subject to medical
Matt Balmer tweeted me this re 2km time trial and medical.

Don’t believe any of the lads had any red flags from medical reports.
Time trial results:
Berry 6min 36s
Butters 6.37
Rowbottom 6.38
Caldwell 6.48
Nanscawen 6.51
Hanrahan 6.56
Stocker 6.56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back