Strategy Draft only, no Trades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you think that when we got Nank, Prestia and Caddy then won the flag? Or just now? .

These players (and you can include Houli and Grigg) came BEFORE we won the flag. We were not even thought of in the top 8...we were suppose to go backwards remember? We were 13th and suppose to go worse than that in 2017. That is why everybody was out for Hardwick's head.

So no, that is not an argument at all. Only Lynch (that I can think of) came to Richmond while we were ontop The rest came to what the AFL pundits call a 'dud' team. And I say Lynch (you could argue Chol) is the worst Richmond player in terms of chemistry. Sometimes he looks out of place - compare to Riewalt who always looks insync with the Tigers movement of the ball.

My point is 2020 Richmond having won 2 GF's and looking at another should stick to the drafts and not trade for players as it will mess with the teams chemistry. In 2016 when we were 13th and a good chance at going backwards, well hell try anything draft/trade send your grandmother in there for all I care. Just win baby.

These players (and you can include Houli and Grigg) came BEFORE we won the flag. We were not even thought of in the top 8...we were suppose to go backwards remember? We were 13th and suppose to go worse than that in 2017. That is why everybody was out for Hardwick's head.

So no, that is not an argument at all. Only Lynch (that I can think of) came to Richmond while we were ontop The rest came to what the AFL pundits call a 'dud' team. And I say Lynch (you could argue Chol) is the worst Richmond player in terms of chemistry. Sometimes he looks out of place - compare to Riewalt who always looks insync with the Tigers movement of the ball.

My point is 2020 Richmond having won 2 GF's and looking at another should stick to the drafts and not trade for players as it will mess with the teams chemistry. In 2016 when we were 13th and a good chance at going backwards, well hell try anything draft/trade send your grandmother in there for all I care. Just win baby.

Please don't quote me as saying things I didn't.

There can only be one answer to this - it depends upon what's on offer.

If there's a real bargain to be had, don't sniff at which store it comes from.

Its silly to just rule out trading altogether. Simple as that. People thought Lynch would ruin our chemistry. In the end he pretty much won us the flag last year.

Well for me....no we shouldn't.
I look at it like the Judd deal for Carlton...they thought they were going to win a Grand Final (Remember 'They know we are coming'?). They had a good team and just brought in a great mid-fielder.

But they didn't do anything. And it wasn't because the team was no good, but bringing in Judd who cost a lot of $$$$, I believe the rest of the Blues' players were like...'what!? I slug my guts out for years for this team and you don't give me a pay rise but you have countless $$$$ for Judd. Well if he is so good let him win the game.' And that is how they ended up playing. Individually, not as a team.

I think the Swans have this problem now.

Those players you mention would only come for $$$$. How do you believe it would affect players like Coch and Reiwalt who took a pay cut for Lynch? Let alone the rest of the lower players. It's just not worth it.

I don't disagree with you necessarily, but I was responding to the quote below. Your Judd comparison has nothing to do with that.

"It's probably because there is no other player in no other AFL team that I think are worthy of playing for Richmond."

Of course there are other players in the comp worthy of playing for Richmond. Judd and Carlton have nothing to do with that.

What if Goldstein says "I am sick of playing for this rabble and I want a crack at a flag". He might come to the Tiges for a really cheap deal, for one year, and it'll benefit us and him. Of course he is "worthy of playing for Richmond".

This is the worst off season to have that strategy, given all the draftees are going to be lottery picks and significantly behind in their usual development.

This is the off-season to trade.

Actually I sort of like the idea of a few picks around 20 -25 and trust yourself. Some top 10 guys will slide due to lack of exposure. Outside the top few I'd be reluctant to go hard. But in that back end of the top talent there will be gems this year that usually wouldn't be available.

And our darfting team do a very thorough job. I reckon they could snaffle some good talent this year if we let them pick.

Actually I sort of like the idea of a few picks around 20 -25 and trust yourself. Some top 10 guys will slide due to lack of exposure. Outside the top few I'd be reluctant to go hard. But in that back end of the top talent there will be gems this year that usually wouldn't be available.

And our darfting team do a very thorough job. I reckon they could snaffle some good talent this year if we let them pick.
But regardless of talent, the players will be significantly behind where they usually would be in their development. They've missed a crucial development year from a footballer perspective.

But regardless of talent, the players will be significantly behind where they usually would be in their development. They've missed a crucial development year from a footballer perspective.

Yes, but ... so what?

If they are delayed a year in coming to AFL level that doesn't bother us, for where we are at. If we are more likely to get an A grader this year for pick 22 than normal then it is in our interest to go for it.

Yes, but ... so what?

If they are delayed a year in coming to AFL level that doesn't bother us, for where we are at. If we are more likely to get an A grader this year for pick 22 than normal then it is in our interest to go for it.
That's the problem though, the recruiters don't have the observations from the most crucial junior year, so regardless of recruiter ability, all of them are throwing darts with blindfolds, as opposed to the usual throwing darts with a decent target.

That's the problem though, the recruiters don't have the observations from the most crucial junior year, so regardless of recruiter ability, all of them are throwing darts with blindfolds, as opposed to the usual throwing darts with a decent target.

A lot of posters mention we put a lot of emphasis on the interview, might be a fair advantage in a year where it’s probably your best guiding metric on a players progression and maturating.

might help catch those guys who shoot up the board in their final year.

I agree and disagree.

Probabilistically, if you are fairly confident that you are more likely to get a more skilled player then you go for it. Basically, if you look at the distribution of likely results (absolute fail, to super star) and think that pick X if more likely than usual to have a Super star then it's most likely worth drafting (of course normalising for the average likelihood of picking a playing of that quality with that pick and how you view the draft). In other words, if the odds stack towards you then play the game. if they don't then don't okay.

The RFC tend to take a probabilistic approach and that's the way I'd view this year's draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year i was a massive fan of 2 players with our 1st and 2nd rounders, We missed out on the 1st kid (Cooper Stephens) But we got my 2nd with even a later pick which i was over the moon about and he is doing well apparently (Hugo Ralph-Smith)

This year i have already selected who i want

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you necessarily, but I was responding to the quote below. Your Judd comparison has nothing to do with that.

"It's probably because there is no other player in no other AFL team that I think are worthy of playing for Richmond."

Of course there are other players in the comp worthy of playing for Richmond. Judd and Carlton have nothing to do with that.

What if Goldstein says "I am sick of playing for this rabble and I want a crack at a flag". He might come to the Tiges for a really cheap deal, for one year, and it'll benefit us and him. Of course he is "worthy of playing for Richmond".
Funny how list needs can fluctuate. Jack Graham was out of contract, there was talk of mad money offers from Carlton and we're discussing trading IN Shaun Higgins if North pay half his contract. Now JGTI is locked away with us. Rucks are a list need. Goldy is under discussion. He's a great durable No. 1 ruck. Like Nank. Personally I don't want to trade CJ. Its tricky drafting someone suspended for 4 or 5 games. I'd look at a Pittonet-type. Mid 20s not getting a game type.
What I don't like about trading these days is the inflation of having to pay future picks for players. AFL should just ban it. And make a player/clubs choose based on deals that can be worked out in one calendar year.

We do have a whole 2nd side who won the league in 2019 waiting for a chance in the seniors. Drafting new guys gives the team a better talent in 2 or 3 years while at the same time allowing the players in the 2nd's their time in the sun. They do have to perform though, they just don't get the gig for nothing.

Its silly to just rule out trading altogether. Simple as that. People thought Lynch would ruin our chemistry. In the end he pretty much won us the flag last year.
Well, I'm sure the club can weed out the bad influences and bring in the right guys but I'm not interested in trading unless they are cheap and fill a specific need.

Can't imagine he would be dirt cheap, which he would need to be for us, I'd hope. Get him for not much; playing reduced games on subsidised wages for a couple of years could work.
Last year i was a massive fan of 2 players with our 1st and 2nd rounders, We missed out on the 1st kid (Cooper Stephens) But we got my 2nd with even a later pick which i was over the moon about and he is doing well apparently (Hugo Ralph-Smith)

This year i have already selected who i want

He'll do me

Well for me....no we shouldn't.
I look at it like the Judd deal for Carlton...they thought they were going to win a Grand Final (Remember 'They know we are coming'?). They had a good team and just brought in a great mid-fielder.

But they didn't do anything. And it wasn't because the team was no good, but bringing in Judd who cost a lot of $$$$, I believe the rest of the Blues' players were like...'what!? I slug my guts out for years for this team and you don't give me a pay rise but you have countless $$$$ for Judd. Well if he is so good let him win the game.' And that is how they ended up playing. Individually, not as a team.

I think the Swans have this problem now.

Those players you mention would only come for $$$$. How do you believe it would affect players like Coch and Reiwalt who took a pay cut for Lynch? Let alone the rest of the lower players. It's just not worth it.

All Carlton had to do was not fire ratten and not get rid of the 100 odd goal ff Fev

They would have got pretty close imo

gotta say, I never understood why Devon Smith didn't get linked with the Tigers end of 2017, nor Zac Williams currently.

I thought being premiers would mean good players beating a path to your door, but that doesn;t seem to happen.

Would really love to get a tall defender in the top 40 or so. Someone with a decent chance to be a 150+ gamer and develop alongside Balta in a few years' time.

gotta say, I never understood why Devon Smith didn't get linked with the Tigers end of 2017, nor Zac Williams

I was at the pre draft night coterie function and we were told that we were taking one of Taylor Adams Devon Smith and Brandon Ellis in the FJ years
The former two were taken in order by GWS leaving us with Ellis.... so we did rate him once upon a time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back