Draft Pick 16: Thomas Sheridan

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: FFC Welcomes Pick 16 -

Thomas Sheridan!

As usual for our drafting - never saw that one coming o_O

Represented Vic Metro at the NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging 14 possessions. He has very good endurance and the ability to bring others into the game through clever use of the ball by hand or foot. He demonstrated he possesses an elite level of endurance at the NAB AFL Draft Combine where he recorded top-three results in the beep test (15.7) and in the 3km trial (9.57 minutes). He had an outstanding TAC Cup year with the Cannons, averaging 24.4 disposals and 4.7 tackles.

Calder Cannons midfielder Tom Sheridan's run to come

Tom Sheridan Position: Medium Midfielder Height: 185cm Weight: 76kg DOB: 28/10/93 Recruited from: Riddells Creek FC/Calder Cannons AFL Profile: Tom Sheridan represented Vic Metro at the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, averaging 14 possessions. He has very good endurance and has the ability to bring others into the game through clever use of the ball by hand or foot. He demonstrated he possesses an elite level of endurance at the NAB AFL Draft Combine where he recorded top three results in the beep test (15.7) and in the 3km trial (9.57 minutes). He had an outstanding TAC Cup year with the Cannons, averaging 24.4 disposals and 4.7 tackles. X-factor: “His exceptional work rate allows him to get to many contests.” Q&A with Tom Sheridan: What are your strengths as a footballer? My strengths are endurance, kicking with both legs and handballing. What parts of your game would you like to improve? I want to work on my physical size. I need to get stronger being a skinny lad. My left handball needs a bit more penetration and I could work on kicking penetration. Why do you want to be a professional AFL footballer? I’ve always wanted to succeed as a football player and to play at the highest level against the best players.
Tom Sheridan Height: 185cm Weight: 76kg DOB: 28/10/93 Club: Calder Cannons Draft range: 20-35 Sheridan is every chance to be gone by here, but if he remains the Cats will find the onballer's versatility, work ethic and endurance hard to pass by. Sheridan was played predominantly as an inside midfielder this season, but he has filled more of an outside role in the past. His quick-give by hand brings teammates into the play and he has also shown strong leadership potential with the Cannons.

Seriously?

Will have to see how this one pans out, but there looked to be a lot of better talent around.

Tom Sheridan Position: Medium Midfielder Height: 185cm Weight: 76kg DOB: 28/10/93 Recruited from: Riddells Creek FC/Calder Cannons AFL Profile: Tom Sheridan represented Vic Metro at the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, averaging 14 possessions. He has very good endurance and has the ability to bring others into the game through clever use of the ball by hand or foot. He demonstrated he possesses an elite level of endurance at the NAB AFL Draft Combine where he recorded top three results in the beep test (15.7) and in the 3km trial (9.57 minutes). He had an outstanding TAC Cup year with the Cannons, averaging 24.4 disposals and 4.7 tackles. X-factor: “His exceptional work rate allows him to get to many contests.” Q&A with Tom Sheridan: What are your strengths as a footballer? My strengths are endurance, kicking with both legs and handballing. What parts of your game would you like to improve? I want to work on my physical size. I need to get stronger being a skinny lad. My left handball needs a bit more penetration and I could work on kicking penetration. Why do you want to be a professional AFL footballer? I’ve always wanted to succeed as a football player and to play at the highest level against the best players.
Tom Sheridan Height: 185cm Weight: 76kg DOB: 28/10/93 Club: Calder Cannons Draft range: 20-35 Sheridan is every chance to be gone by here, but if he remains the Cats will find the onballer's versatility, work ethic and endurance hard to pass by. Sheridan was played predominantly as an inside midfielder this season, but he has filled more of an outside role in the past. His quick-give by hand brings teammates into the play and he has also shown strong leadership potential with the Cannons.

hope he can kick with his feet as well as his legs :D good pickup no probs there:thumbsu:

Sheridan was widely regarded as a top 30 pick, and definitely improved his standing late. I had him a bit lower in my draft, with some concerns over his speed and consistency with his kicking.

But he is a tall midfielder, and will probably be one of the fittest at the club. I reckon he'll develop into a Barlow type player.

Pick 16 - Tom Sheridan - 18yrs, 185cm -

has had a very consistent year coming 2nd in the Calder Cannons best and fairest despite missing games for his Vic Metro championship commitments. Tom plays as a running midfielder/wingman. His main strength is his endurance in games and backed up by a 9min 58sec 3km time trial and a 15.7 beep at draft camp. He is a very smart footballer with extremely clean and quick hands with great vision. He glides across the ground at high speed. Skills by foot are sound. Tom averaged 24.4 touches a game, 4.7 tackles, 3.8 clearances and 4 marks at TAC level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name: Tom Sheridan
Club: Calder Cannons, Victoria
Date of birth: 28/10/93
Height: 185cm
Weight: 76kg
Draft range: 18-30

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Sheridan showed off his big tank at the combine with a 15.7 beep test and a 9:57 effort in the 3km run, with both of those results ranking him inside the top 2 per cent. His score of 25 out of 30 in the Nathan Buckley kicking test placed him equal ninth.

Jason Phelan says: Sheridan is a really busy, team-oriented onballer with a healthy competitive streak. He has an elite endurance base and will run and carry on his own or link up with teammates. He's not the most penetrating kick, but he's very effective using his hands to bring teammates into the play. He also has good leadership potential having captained the Cannons for a period this year. Sheridan played 15 games for Calder and was named in the best players 11 times. TAC Cup Team of the Year member.

Kevin Sheahan says: Sheridan represented Vic Metro at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 14 possessions. He has good endurance and can bring others into the game by clever use of the ball. From Riddells Creek FC.

In his own words: I am a hard-working, team-oriented player who uses the ball well and has good decision-making skills. I'm versatile and have an elite endurance base.

Says that he wants to play like Nat Fyfe.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/pickme

Crozier said the same thing as well. :thumbsu:

Yea interesting isn't it. Both are only a couple years younger than Fyfe which will be interesting. Amazing the rep Fyfe's got after only 2 years at AFL level and still well short of his prime.

In any case, strange pick as most reports had Sheridan as a bit of slider and likely a good value pick top of 2nd round or so. Bond et al. obviously rate him.

Yea interesting isn't it. Both are only a couple years younger than Fyfe which will be interesting. Amazing the rep Fyfe's got after only 2 years at AFL level and still well short of his prime.

In any case, strange pick as most reports had Sheridan as a bit of slider and likely a good value pick top of 2nd round or so. Bond et al. obviously rate him.
Most had him as a guy who would outperform his draft position so maybe we just picked him where he's valued.

The first round didn't go as expected and we simply went with best available talent which was Tom. Players that were linked to us like Ellis and Adams etc weren't around and Sheridan was next cab of the rank. I love reading that his VO2 score is comparible to Cadelle Evans. His skills look ok too.

Tom sounds like a good pick up with excellent endurance. I wouldn't mind a second Barlow at all :thumbsu:

However the article is a bit generous in saying his VO2max is comparable to Cadel's. While 76 is really good (normal for an athlete his age would be between 60-70 I believe), the difference to 82 is still significant. That is not to say he won't get similar numbers at one point, but at the moment it's just not true. He's more at Seb Coe's level (77). (fun fact: highest recorded VO2max are Bjorn Daehlie 96 and Greg LeMond 92.5, if I'm correct)

Tom sounds like a good pick up with excellent endurance. I wouldn't mind a second Barlow at all :thumbsu:

However the article is a bit generous in saying his VO2max is comparable to Cadel's. While 76 is really good (normal for an athlete his age would be between 60-70 I believe), the difference to 82 is still significant. That is not to say he won't get similar numbers at one point, but at the moment it's just not true. He's more at Seb Coe's level (77). (fun fact: highest recorded VO2max are Bjorn Daehlie 96 and Greg LeMond 92.5, if I'm correct)

Still, if it weren't for Brad Hill and WHE he would have equalled the record for the beep test at the draft camp (Or be right up there). Remember he is still only 18, his fitness will improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back